Ponies After People 899 members · 98 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

Scribe's given a doozy. Discuss!

Coded Spell Circle (faded/exploded) early June

*mystery intensifies*

Number Station Codes

Jun 16

22-13-23-13-22-24-3-6-5-19-4-8-23-1-11-11-13-23-23-14-1-18-8-4-19-8-13-24-5-12-13-4-11-13-8-19-14-8-23-1-22-24-5-24-19-22-23-9-8-3-18-13-2

June 19

17-8-1-21-3-9-5-21-20-1-16-0-4-13-0-0-13-17-16-0-5-13-16-5-2-17-0-5-1-16-11-2-3-0-6-5-13-2-2-5-13-16-23-3-0-21-13-11-1-21-3-5-1-16-9-5-20-3-18-17-20-21-6-5-22-11-3-16-3

Circle Decryption Attempts:
From CaDragon1 we have:

J J F H J E A S Z F V T D I J W N R J G F J Y J D Q

Poppmann's reply

With that I got "BETWEEN REPLYINGS THE CAME ONE", whatever the hell that means. Course if two of the symbols happened to be missing it cold be "there came one" which seems like it would make more sense but who knows. I'm no cryptographer. Or it may even be, "Between Replyings The One Came" which would be way more ominous now that I think about it.

And finally Eak:

There’s a small mark on the inner circle near the top of the image which could indicate the begin/end point for the encoded text.
I translated it twice. Once assuming the inner circle could be the baseline for the glyphs and once assuming the outer circle is the baseline since it could be written either way.
Unfortunately it doesn’t make any sense to me once I’ve translated it which could indicate some other code is in use as well.
There are 26 Glyphs in the text.
Inner Ring Baseline: BBKOBIASZKYUGQBTJRBMKBXBGP
Outer Ring Baseline: DKRVRGERBJZRAKWSGTYQIRCGRR

I'm thinking of trying to translate it with reversed readings (right to left vs left to right). Thoughts?

June 16th Decryption attempts:
(Converting numerals to letters) VMWMVXCFESDHWAKKMWWNARHDSHMXELMDKMHSNHWAVXEXSVWIHCRMB
(Keiger's image)

PurpleBlurpL

FIRST CIPHER: FLEE BEYOND SPACETIME HERE
SECOND CIPHER: PRESERVATION SUCCESSFUL NO EVIDENCE OF SURVIVORS ****
Last 4 letters of 2nd cipher could be just rubbish, or perhaps it's something 2nd with "-ale" ... could be vale, or for extra lols, "male".
If the above were true, it would work out to be: VALE PRESERVATION SUCCESSFUL NO EVIDENCE OF SURVIVORS

ResoSketch

Using VMWMVXCFESDHWAKKMWWNARHDSHMXELMDKMHSNHWAVXEXSVWIHCRMB which is what i got from the numbers and seems like some others have as well i got this result RESERVBGION T SUCCESSFUL T NOT EVIDENCE TOFT SURVIVORS AT BLE P
Reservation? mayby? spelt wrong but swapping B and G with A and T does this
RESERVATION G SUCCESSFUL G NOG EVIDENCE GOFG SURVIVORS BG ALE P
Removing the G makes: RESERVATION SUCCESSFUL NO EVIDENCE OF SURVIVORS B ALE P
B ALE P? Putting them in front of Reservation makes : B ALE P RESERVATION SUCCESSFUL NO EVIDENCE OF SURVIVORS
Maybe it's Bale Preservation Successful no Evidence of survivors?
This might be off but the meaning of the message should be very similar to what i said above.
A few Theories on what this means
1. some government doomsday computer plan to help preserve human life
2. Since its "PRESERVATION SUCCESSFUL" I also think something may have "Removed" human life to preserve the planet for a different reason?
Bale? Maybe its a codename for an operation? I mean everyone disappeared and some became ponies and since bale is sorta related as in bale of hay...
P.S. Another answer i got for it was RESERVBGION A SUCCESSFUL ANOA EVIDENCE A OF A SURVIVORSTABLE P
Survivor Stable? FALLOUT CONFIRMED (jk, but this was another answer)

June 19

17-8-1-21-3-9-5-21-20-1-16-0-4-13-0-0-13-17-16-0-5-13-16-5-2-17-0-5-1-16-11-2-3-0-6-5-13-2-2-5-13-16-23-3-0-21-13-11-1-21-3-5-1-16-9-5-20-3-18-17-20-21-6-5-22-11-3-16-3

Translated:
r-i-b-v-d-j-f-v-u-b-q-a-e-n-a-a-n-r-q-a-f-n-q-f-c-r-a-f-b-q-l-c-d-a-g-f-n-c-c-f-n-q-x-d-a-v-n-l-b-v-d-f-b-q-j-f-u-d-s-r-u-v-g-f-w-l-d-q-d

And, finally, some helpful sites

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/
http://quipqiup.com/index.php
http://www.hanginghyena.com/solvers/cryptogram-helper

(I need a new post, this one looks messy...)

4434520 I have no clue what those replies are talking about. I don't even know how they got letters...

It's likely a combination of ciphers. Then again, we've guessed that I'm sure. I LOVE cryptology, but I am terrible at it. I'll be of no help.

4434654 Seems to be a Pigpen on top of a caesar cipher in the least. But if we pool knowledge...

Obviously, it says "Zutcha was here!"

...okay, no it doesn't. It was going to before Starscribe suggested whatever it actually says.
I personally have no idea what it really says. If it's not the current translation. I just got the "bright" idea to use the pigpen cipher as part of its final look. I thought it would look nice and fun. Apparently it is, if the comment section has anything to say about it.

Starscribe
Group Admin

I did spend a little time with the research on the code for this story, since the readers seemed like a thinking crowd who would enjoy that sort of thing. There's no way the real message can live up to all the hype, though it would reveal what's going to ultimately happen with the symbols before it actually does, which is neat i guess.

And suddenly I am thinking of the phrase. This message will self-destruct

4434520 Dammit, now I've spent two hours of valuable sleeping time on the damn thing, playing with different pigpen layouts and alphabet forwards and backwards. You can use the results for mystery scrabble, especially if you use both outer and inner ring as baseline.
With my last design I could build some reaaaally ominous words:
summon, redemption, Equestria, pony, (in)between, enemy, autumn, Gaia... nonsense, but fun. Worse ways to loose sleep :)

4434839 So long as it doesn't say 'Congrads! You Solved it!' most of us will be content.

Starscribe
Group Admin

Hah, no. It doesn't say that.

Poppmann's last reply is, as he said himself, very ominous. :P

This is using the outer baseline of the basic Pigpen cipher (Eak used a different one, I believe):
RRDBREIVWDSUFARZNJRCDRXRFK

BETWEEN REPLYINGS THE CAME ONE is also what I got when running CaDragon1's.

Found this too: E ENCES UPON MARKED THEY NEVER B
Looks like mostly gibberish though.

I'm in the middle of trying to decipher this, but I think I found something. The dotted & mirrored L is the most common symbol, so it's probably E. If you start at the marking, read left to right, and use the inner circle as your base, that same symbol starts the message. The only double e word that I can think of that might apply is 'eerie'. I'm gonna keep trying using that assumption, but if anyone else thinks of something, please share.

Edit: Screw 'eerie'. With the fact that it has been bolded at least twice in recent chapters, I recast my vote to one that postulates the double symbol is for the o's in 'doorway'. Or, now that I look at it again, just 'door'.

4434520 Are we going to create another thread for the new code, or stay here?

So far I've tried turning the numbers to letters and shifting them along. I got nothing from that. I also tried reversing it (A=Z, B=Y, Z=A, etc.). That gave:
e-n-d-n-e-c-x-u-v-h-w-s-d-z-p-p-n-d-d-m-z-i-s-w-h-s-n-c-v-o-n-w-p-n-s-h-m-s-d-z-e-c-v-c-h-e-d-r-s-x-i-n-y
The last 7 letters look like destiny (coincidence?) so it could be a substitution of a few letters from there.

4452824 Hmm... I might be reaching, but it's it's an 'accidental' code, a codified broken translation/message... An unfocused look at it pulls out... 'End, Is, When, Decide, Destiny'

(also renamed the thread)

Guys, I came to a guess that there might be a Vernam cipher under author's codes. Although I'm not sure about second code since it's a radio transmission, I had to come to conclusion than One-time pad cipher awaits us under Pigpen. Starscribe call his first cipher "nearly impossible to translate" and I know only Vernam has proven to have "perfect secrecy".
If that is the case, then there is no breaking it without proper key phrase.
I really hope i'm wrong and someone will break it.

4453200 I'm going to go speculative conspiracy theorist here. A's dreams seem to have messages. The first code was a mark of remnant magic. While we haven't broken what it said, we know it did something. This new one seems to be only a number station at first glance, but it's also moving. Perhaps it's a signal that's hijacking the number station, attempting to communicate through it?

Here's a quick explanation for how the codes in Founders of Alexandria work, since I didn't really explain it overly well in the comments of the story, and the information ended up spread out over several replies. (Also, props to Celefin for decoding the second message.)

To encode a message, the base code is a vigenere cipher with the keyword "Odium". On top of this, the letters a, e, i, o, u and s and the full stops '.' in the first-stage ciphertext are converted to the trigraphs kum, vri, min, kar, tul, mak and mes respectively.

To decode, the aforementioned trigraphs are replaced with a, e, i, o, u, s and '.', then decoded with a vigenere cipher using "Odium" as the keyword.

When decoded, the first message reads:
triumph-in-philadelphia-shadow-speaker-directs-us-to-gather-in-alexandria-make-haste-a

And the second message reads:
my-children,-the-deceived-have-known-these-pones.-gather-that-we-may-destroy-their-mark.

The marks on the dragon look like they should be solvable using this method, but I've only gotten gibberish from it. If anyone else wants to try it, when the zodiac signs are replaced (the equivalent of replacing the trigraphs), it reads:
X-H-U-A-QYZY-O-Y-U

Edited to add:
The third message reads:
all-that-think-they-see-will-be-blinded.-all-that-know-they-are-blinded-will-be-given-truer-sight.

Edited for completeness:
The marks on the dragon actually read: wduamzxzozu

This translates to:
I Am Galurung

4633344 Plus a little addendum: a, e, i, o, u, s and '.' as substitutes for the trigraphs are taken from the zodiac/pigpen circle Sky found. These letters only show up in the trigraphs that need to be substituted and nowhere else in the ciphertext.

Yeah, that was the big clue for that alright.
Just for completeness, here's the zodiac/trigraph matchups:

Aquarius/"kum": a
Taurus/"vri": e
Pisces/"min": i
Cancer/"kar": o
Libra/"tul": u
Capricorn/"mak": s
Virgo/"mes": .

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20