LGBT 1,079 members · 198 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

The biggest challenge of writing bigotry is that, as the video suggests, it requires to deeply reflect on real-life bigotry (either personal experience, or research). And that can be outright harmful for some.

Expesholy if you don't understand where it even comes from nor how it even started.

I used to believe that Blacks had it better than me, still sure some of them do, but most of them have it pretty bad in our society. I got my racism from watching too much news by the way.

A worrying amount of people think racism is this thing that exists in a vacuum, and that's a big part of the problem because that means ignoring its effects. Same with pretty much any other social problem. That's why it takes either being a personal experience, or a deep research to portray them without contributing to it.

you mean like the RedLine thing ?

edit:

EDIT:

It's probably best you not refer to Black people as "Blacks" when you are not a Black person.

Among other things, but yeah. This is why I'm always wary of comments such as "I don't see color" and similar. All in all, it ends up being more about ignoring the actual issue.

The end goal should definitely be for a color-blind world, though. You can fix racial inequalities while still having that as the end goal.

Right. But there's a difference between "I don't make distinction between color" and "I don't see color". I agree the goal should be that such a difference in society. But to get there, in my opinion, it's vital to recognize what prevents us yet. Context is always important in these situations.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11