Equestria Girls 3: The Friendship Games 343 members · 105 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

Hello all! Kirito here, I made this list in a blog of mine, and thought it'd be interesting to share it here in the Friendship Games group! So, I've been working on a story involving the shadowbolts with a buddy of mine. And along the way, I came up with a few interesting theories through personal thoughts, research, and discussion with said friend, so these are my basic notes of shadowbolt characterization. Keep in mind, these are all PERSONAL thoughts, they aren't official statements of the characters, simply my interpretations of them. I'm hoping to get some ideas and advice, as well as create some possible discussion, so any help would be greatly appreciated.:twilightsmile:

1) Sour-Sweet

Quirk: Rapid mood swings.

Likes: Archery, winning, candy, praise, being left alone, purple and blue, herself, getting away with things, acting.

Dislikes: Other people, being talked too casually, losing, Principal Cinch, hard work,

Friends: Herself, and Sugarcoat to a small extent.

Enemies: Pretty much everyone else.

Academic achievements: As a Crystal Prep student, Sour Sweet is top notch academically. Earning B's and low A's thanks to her upbringing.

Athletic Achivements: Archery, which is basic at Crystal Prep. She doesn't really like doing anything that require extra hard work.

Personality: Snarky, sarcastic, condescending, overbearingly sweet, rude, lazy, narcissistic, praise starved.

Backstory: [She was brought up in a household where achievements were everything. Being born with mood swings and ASP, she had a difficult time making friends. Later on though, she accepted this part of herself as a way to actively make her feelings known. Being born from a house of inheritance, she believes in getting what she wants without working super hard, hence her lack of after school activities. She can act pretty well, and had dreams of being an actress, but found the drama club was to much work, so she quit.]

Mane 6 opposite-Fluttershy-Feigning kindness to hide her cruel insults, in addition she seems rather arrogant, to offput Fluttershy's timid and meek nature.

2) Sugarcoat

Quirk: Brutally honest about everything.

Likes: Honesty, facts, winning, mechanic work, justice, being ignored, appearing appropriately, [reading], [anime.]

Dislikes: Liars, [comedy], losing, enthusiasm, [over emotional people], doormats, [action flicks], talkative types.

Friends: Sour Sweet, on the virtue that they both don't talk to one another.

Enemies: People who talk to much, Principal Cinch.

Academic achievements: Like everyone at Crystal Prep, her grades are stellar, especially in science and math, top 5 student, mechanical expert

Athletic Achivements: None really.

Personality: Brutally honest, righteous in her beliefs, hates public speakers, studious, blunt and to the point, doesn't try to hide how she's feeling, very conservative about her expressions and emotions, withdrawn.-Kind of shows a few traits of Rei Ayanami expy.

Backstory: [Grew up in a household with a salseman for a father. Her mother worked quite often at her corporate job, leading them to make false promises about being there for her. As such, she's always brutally honest so she doesn't disappoint anyone in quite the same way, that and she grew up watching anime and was a fan of the Rei Ayanami archetype. Very studious and withdrawn due to her upbringing with few friends.]

Mane 6 opposite-Applejack-Brutal honesty makes this one the Element of Honesty's parallel. In addition, assuming she is a scholar and mechanic, that'd further serve to make her different from the farm pony/girl.

3) Sunny Flare-Out of everyone on the list, I had to grasp for straws with her the most.

Quirk: Goth/rebel?

Likes: Rebellion, roller skating, winning, slam poetry, accessory design, horror, getting things.

Dislikes: Teachers, pressure, losing, frilly things, cheap metals.

Friends: Lemon Zest

Enemies: Her mother/grandmother, most teachers, wondercolts.

Academic achievements: Despite her attempts at rebellion, she's a top tier student in part due to Cinch's tutoring.

Athletic Achivements: Track Team and poetry club.

Personality: Rebellious, opportunistic, greedy, takes pride in her own work, not afraid to twist someones arm to get something if she wants it bad enough.

Backstory: Sunny Flare was brought up in a house with two busy parents, spending most of her time with Ms. Cinch, her grandmother. Cinch's obsession with reputation pushed her to drive Sunny Flare to the extreme, constant tutoring, bringing her to work when she could, and introducing her to important local figures. Sunny grew up with a bit of resentment since she couldn't make very many friends, outside of Lemon Zest who was always willing to sit with her in class. As such, SF became a rebel against her grandma and parents in a bid to get attention, and take revenge against Cinch.

Mane 6 Opposite-Rarity-Aside from her one use of 'Dearie' in the film being all we have to go on. Assuming she is a goth with a love of making accsessories, she'd counter Rarity quite a bit. Also, we have the suspicion of her opposite play being to help people, to get something out of it later on.

4) Indigo Zap

Quirk: Obsessed with team spirit and hyperactive.

Likes: Sports, team spirit, dedication, activity, victory.

Dislikes: Losing, laziness, studying, tests, mockery, romance novels.

Friends: Lightning Dust and the other school athletes.

Enemies: Wondercolts (ESPECIALLY.)

Academic achievements: She's lower than everyone else in the school, pulling mostly in the C-B- range at best.

Athletic Achivements: She's on every sports team in the school

Personality: Perky, over enthusiastic, can't sit still for more than ten seconds, very dedicated, overly emotional, hatred of laziness and traitors.

Backstory: Indigo Zap grew up in a house that was absolutely dedicated to Crystal Prep. Her father was the school quarterback, while her mom was the lead cheerleader, Zap was brought up on Crystal Prep from birth. Her parents signed her up for all kinds of athletic exercises throughout her life, making her the star of Crystal Prep just like they were.

Mane 6 opposite-Rainbow Dash-Indigo is less of an opposite and more of an exageration. Her loyalty to Crystal Prep is above and beyond Dash's. This makes her much louder, much cockier, and much more offputting.

5) Lemon Zest

Quirk: Tuned out of the world.

Likes: Music, adventure, imagination, winning, singing, movement, running.

Dislikes: Long lectures, the mundane, losing, people talking for too long, not having her headphones, people who don't 'get her ideas'

Friends: Sunny Flare

Enemies: Anyone of science and rationality, Wondercolts.

Academic achievements: Strong student overall, pulling mostly B's, with A's in classes requiring more creativity.

Extracaricular Achivements: School band.

Personality: Very aloof, likes to create things and live in her own little fantasy world, has a special connection with her music, loves to mix it

up, hates being bored.

Backstory: Lemon Zest grew up under the watch of two very doting and coddling parents. She wasn't let outside very often since they didn't want her getting sick, so she spent most of her time indoors, with music and her own thoughts.

Mane 6 Opposite-Pinkie Pie. While Pinkie is extremely extroverted and social, Lemon Zest has all of her energy in an introverted fashion.

So, that's all for now folks! I hope the list was at least a little interesting to you all, sorry if it wasn't, and sorry again to shove my headcanon out there! Remember, this is only my first ideas regarding the shadowbolts, more research will be done, and any help would be appreciated! Again, I hope you're all having a great, amazing, fantastic, awesome night!:pinkiehappy:

EmeraldSkies
Group Contributor

4770275 Great interpretations! :pinkiehappy:

While Pinkie is extremely extroverted and social, Lemon Zest has all of her energy in an introverted fashion.

That seems interesting...

I hope we'll see more of the personality for Sunny Flare and the Shadowbolts in the next movie and on. I have a nagging suspicion that they'll be back, especially with the audio commentary from Friendship Games that seems to be hinting at this.

loosing

What's loosing?

Also, we have the suspicion of her opposite play being to help people, to get something out of it later on.

I wonder where you got that idea from...

Losing typo has been fixed, sorry about that.:facehoof:

It's been a while since I saw the movie, mostly going off memory for this one, friend suggested that idea for Sunny Flare.

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

Friends: Herself, and Sugarcoat to a small extent.

Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare talked a lot throughout the movie, so I'd consider them friends. :derpytongue2:

Also, would you mind if I posted my own personality theories in this thread? As a general Shadowbolt discussion?

:facehoof: thanks for the reminder, like I said, been a while.

Really, thanks! This is why I came here after all, to make sure I can add some better characterization details to each one so my story can be really good, and create some discussion a few weeks later.:rainbowkiss:

4770355 That's funny, because I suggested the same thing in another thread, weird.

Very weird, like I said, my friend suggested it to me, as I avoided threads for whatever stupid reason that was in my brain. I'll ask him where he got it.

4770275 I like this!

:pinkiehappy:4770363
Also, please post! Im looking for more ideas and discussion on these characters! Post, please!

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

Sunny Flare

Quirk: Tattletale

Likes: getting what she wants, rollerskating, doing things by herself, helping others who are stuck

Dislikes: Principal Cinch, heavy metal music,

Friends: Lemon Zest, Sour Sweet

Enemies: Principal Cinch, the Wondercolts.

Academic achievements: Sunny is earning mostly Bs, with a few As sprinkled in.

Athletic Achivements: Rollerblading and archery (since that's required)

Personality: good judge of character, tattletale, mildly obsessive, poised, helpful to others who seem lost/confused about life.

Backstory: Sunny lives a couple blocks from CPA, in an old Victorian house. Her family is moderately rich, how else would they pay for tuition? Sunny has two younger siblings, and quickly learned that unless she tattletaled on them right away, they'd blame all household accidents on her. Sunny tries not to act spoiled or bratty while maintaining a sense of poise and charm. Since she enrolled at CPA, Principal Cinch has always rubbed her the wrong way. Sunny usually talks with Lemon Zest and Sour Sweet, but she mingles with the other Shadowbolts from time to time.

Mane 6 Opposite-Rarity- Sunny is obviously the most poised out of the Shadowbolts. :rainbowlaugh:

(Help me I need to make her have a few redeeming qualities but I have none!)

You have a few redeeming qualities, I think that's the hard part for me too.:derpytongue2: Like I said for her though, for some reason I could see her as some kind of accessory maker, perhaps to contrast with Rarity's sense of fashion?

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

4771755 I can see that! :pinkiesmile: Maybe she designed Indigo's earrings, Sugarcoat's barrettes, and Sour Sweet's cranberry hairband. :rainbowlaugh:
For me, I think her special talent is unveiling the truth, like her cutie mark, a sun behind a cloud. She is a good judge of character, and this is a plausible talent after yesterday's episode. :derpytongue2:

I suppose so. Though the way I'm writing them is each one is filled with issues, but they do have a bright side I'm trying to figure out how to reveal, ironically.

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

4771944 Good luck with that!:rainbowlaugh:

Thanks! Best of luck in all your future writing endeavors as well!

4770275 MY PM'S are broke and we need to talk ASAP!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21