Sword Art Online: Remastered 199 members · 26 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

You know, I like reading the light novels. They can pack a lot of emotion in where the anime couldn't. Additionally, it addresses a lot of questions anime-only viewers were asking. Such questions include, How do they relieve themselves?, Is the Full Dive perfect?, Can you actually have sexual intercourse in SAO?, and How does the NetGear work?. However, there was a line in Volume One, Chapter Two, that I noted because it stuck out to me.

Cline continued in his low vigorous voice, of course this was different from his real voice as well.

Now, that's pretty odd, in it of itself, right? The NerveGear's mechanics are possible, sure. They make some sense, after all. But assuming that the real-world body of a player is not moving their mouth or attempting to make speech, there should be no way to synthesize a new voice from the player's original. So, we're left with the conclusion that these voices are pre-programmed into the game, and chosen when you create your avatar.

But, as we all know, things go south, and all that precious time on your avatar is wasted. You're suddenly your male, middle-aged, overweight, gamer self. But… what happened to the voices?

If Kayaba's intention was to create a world in which life was possible (a slogan that is continually repeated throughout Volumes One and Two), then he would have attempted to make the voices of players match up, right? But, here's the problem: The light novels really don't have to worry about this. They're light novels; they don't have audio. But the anime does. And, as we can hear, the players' voices remain consistent pre-Announcement, post-Announcement, and post-SAO.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much, not really. Most of you are probably too busy worrying about Ordinal Scale or theorizing about Yui being Sachi to worry about a minor plothole like voices.

Still… any thoughts? Humor me?

ShadowblazeCR
Group Admin

So I assume you're talking about this part of Volume 1 Chapter 2? It's the first sentence at the top of the page.

But if that's different from yours, I assume it's from a translating site? Then I don't know if I found the right part. What do you think? Cause if that's the same part, all Klien is doing is trying to make himself seem manlier by deepening his voice on his own.

P.S. Sorry about the way the picture is.

5265318 Oh, it's fine. I'm unable to buy a physical copy, but a few grammatical errors in the direct translation that I found online are worth it.

In any case, if I had to take a guess as to if the voices changed with the avatars, I'd say yes. It just fits with Kayaba's vision more.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3