Equestrian Scale Modelers Society 51 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
Nova_Blast
Group Admin

This is a chance to introduce yourselves to the other members, I'll start.

I come from the U.K. and I model 00 gauge (16MM gauge, 1/76:4mm=1 foot scale) model railways during the Big Four era of Britain (1923-1948), specifically the L.N.E.R.

I haven't built a layout yet, but i'm hoping to soon

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

3825220 Railroad Brony, Central Wisconsin, USA (GO PACK GO!!!) HO scale, O scale (Dad's Lionel set up on the floor), S Scale (Grandpa's American Flyer set up on the floor), N Scale (small twice around layout, no prototype), the last three of which are at my grandparent's house.
The HO scale is a freelanced division of the Candaian National and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF), located in Central Wisconsin. The two railroads jointly own the trackage, like the BNSF and Union Pacific in the Powder River Basin. Dad and I are building it in our basement.

Personally, I would build a mountain/logging/mining railroad, with a long mainline, plenty of switching, steep grades and tight curves on the point to point branch line, and some narrow gauge. The main would a dogbone with staging at either end, and a classification yard in the middle, with engine servicing and shop complex. I'd run equipment from the transition era next to modern SD70's. The story is that it is a tourist line that hauls freight, kinda like Strasburg Railroad is doing now, because Norfolk Southern closed down a team track. (They run steam powered mixed trains, and they can handle tank cars because liquids that need to be heated to be unloaded, like tar, can be supplied with steam from the locomotives)

Oregon, as for scale HO always.

Anything else, is whatever.

I mean, I haven't actually been able to build a model railroad (no room, or time, or money), though I do have various pieces.

The whole point of a hobby (like most things) is to have fun, so why should I limit myself to one style?

Why can't I have an old timey steamer running through a futuristic landscape, or vice versa?

It's not the real world, so why restrict myself to it?

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

3852925 I model the 1920-1940s because it offers the best compromise between readily available models and the sheer diversity available, go back in time a mere ten years and you'll be lucky to find more that ten items of R-T-R rolling stock available that are suitable for that era. go forward ten years, and everything is too uniform.

the Big four era on the other hand:

Private Owner wagons...EVERWHERE!!! :rainbowwild:

And i prefer the L.N.E.R. for one simple reason

Gresley was a fucking genious! :flutterrage:

Florida, HO Scale, mainly modern day Amtrak and Metro-North Railroad equipment, having been born in New York City.

Georgia, 28mm table top war gaming Warhammer 40k. Dark Angels and Tau.

Hi all, I'm from Utah, I do tank, air plain and military sci fi (40k) modeling and conversion (painting, mismatching parts, building tarain like hills and bunkers from scratch... that sort of thing.).

4597356 From Utah as well, and I do 40k stuff as well. Painting them is probably my favorite part, especially ones that had a lot of "metal" parts :D

Sweet! What store do you go to to paint/ play?

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4597369 Nothing better than dry brushing the rust onto the frames and corners of a wooden wagon

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4597315 out of curiosity, what scale are the warhammer pieces?

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4597356 A scratch builder? Nice, i always admire modelers that can build things from scratch, maybe have a thread on your projects

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4598321 from a website:

WHAT IS SCALE?
The size of a miniature, relative to what it is a replica of, is known as the scale of the figure. For a various reasons several systems are used to describe scale. Gamers primarily use X/XX (such as 1/35 or 1:35) and Xmm (such as 28mm) scales.

Some scales are given as a ratio, variously written as either a ratio (i.e., 1:35) or a fraction (1/35). The second number indicates how many units on the original equal one unit on the model.

Other scales are simply listed as a certain height, such as 25mm or 54mm. Most people usually think of this as being the height representing an average human (i.e., in 25mm scale, men are 25mm high), however some figure heights are measured to eye level, since measuring to the top of the head is impractical for figures wearing headgear. Therefore, when a manufacturer says his figures are 25mm scale, he might mean 25mm to top of the head or 25mm to eye level.

To complicate matters, recent lines of miniatures have taken to exaggerating the figure's proportions and calling it "heroic: scale, or bumping the height up a couple of millimeters. This can result in a 25mm heroic scale miniature being 28mm high. Manufacturers have been slowly making their figures a bit larger in recent years. The extra size gives more room for details, so that a large 15mm figure often looks sharper than a classic 15mm figure. GW and Reaper, two common lines of miniatures, have both moved into 28mm scale, and Rakham's Confrontation line of miniatures is even larger, about 30mm in scale.

As a final note, even figures claim to be in the same scale may differ considerably in body build, head size, and general sculpting style - even when made by the same manufacturer. Middle Earth miniature line is a prime example of this. Some manufacturers see their goal as to make scale replicas, while others concentrate on making gaming pieces which are inexpensive, durable, or easy to paint. Plastic figures may be sculpted in a thinner style than metal figures. If you are concerned whether you can mix figures from different product lines or companies you may first want to order samples from the manufacturer.

This is a short table covering the primary range of miniature scales used by gamers, particularly WarHammer players, and comparison to models and model railroad scales. The scales are based on eye-level measurements.

SCALE EQUIVALENT
Common Uses

1/107 15mm
Pre-20th Century war gaming, also used for fantasy, science fiction, and 20th Century "skirmish-level" games

1/87 18.5mm
Model railroad HO is "half O" scale. Many railroad, scenery, and armor models available in this scale

1/80.5 20mm
Popular for skirmish-level 20th Century war gaming and science fiction

1/76 22.4mm
Same as OO scale. Plastic miniatures and kits of aircraft, vehicles, and soldiers are available

1/72 22.4mm
As above, though a slight bit larger

1/64 25mm
Popular for fantasy, historical, skirmish, science fiction, and role-playing games. Same as railroad S gauge.

1/58 28mm
Heroic or large 25mm figures sometimes listed as being 28mm

1/54 30mm
Confrontation miniatures, as close as you can call for a mythical figure

1/48 33.5mm
Popular scale for plastic aircraft kits. Some display figures available in this scale

1/43 37mm
O scale in railroads

1/35 50mm
Popular scale for plastic kits of armor. Occasionally used for modern gaming

1/30 54mm
Toy soldier scale, recently arrived as GW Inquisitor miniatures

SOME BORING STUFF
To mathematically convert ratio scales into height scales, assuming that height scales measure to "eye height" while ratio scales measure to "head height", divide 1610 by the scale. For example, 1/285 figures are about (1610 / 285 = 5.6) 6mm figures. The reverse is also true: to get ratio scale, divide 1610 by the height scale. Thus, 25mm figures are equivalent to (1610 / 25 = 64.4) 1/64. The 1610 comes from using the eye height of the average man, measured in millimeters, about 1610 mm or 5' 3" to the eye. So equivalent height and ratio scales, multiplied, should always result in the same constant. So what is the constant for a manufacturer who measures height scale to top of the head, rather than to eye level? In millimeters it would be 1730 or about 5' 8".

SO WHAT DO I BUY TO MATCH MY 40K STUFF?
Another problem for 40K players is the figures are not the same scale as the vehicles. Of course that can be argued as the vehicles are imaginary, so they could be any size you want.

For terrain, buy what looks good. Railroad HO bridges make excellent walkways. HO trees make good saplings or shrubs. S and O buildings and scenery works well.

Plastic armor and accessory kits in 1/35 are the best for bits and accessories (cans, barrels, etc) but most of the vehicles are too large. I have used the M113 armored personnel carrier in 1/35 for rhinos very successfully. They are much closer to the proportions of the new rhino.

Your best bet is to look at the kit whenever possible, a buy it based on size and forget the scale.

4597391 End Zone, up in Clearfield, play there every Tuesday at about 6:00 pm. As for painting, I do so from the comfort of my room. BTW, what armies do you play?

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4598351 28mm to the scale foot i'm guessing

Imperial Guard. I usually play at Black Fire near American Fork.

4598468 Never heard of the place, probably because I've never been that far south.

hi shifterinvers here I'm not so much a builder or collector, but someone who enjoys and appreciate those who take the time to make and build model miniatures, as such i will most likely just read the the threads on here only commenting on the subject that I feel I can contribute to sorry but don't expect anything groundbreaking from me.

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4598883 It is OK. Anyone is welcome here. Don't be afraid to delve to the bottom of the threads.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4598883 that's fine

Hello. My name is Duskrunner (for ow at least).

I collect and 'try' to paint miniatures for Privateer Press' Warmachine / Hordes (Circle Orboros) Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k (Chaos Khorne World Eaters mostly), Reaper Bones fantasy (mostly used as Warhammer Fantasy Vampire Counts alternatives) and some sci-fi, Mantic Sci-fi and Dradball (my favorite are Veer-myn and convicts, both of which I hope to incorporate into my 40k sci-fi fun), and Ninja Division / Sodapop Miniatures' Super Dungeon Explore and upcoming Ninja All-Stars.

With the exception of SDE I don't really have hopes to play, just collect. And of course, modding my blind bag doubles to be ready to fight 'Space hulk style' against Chaos, Tyranids and Veer-myn :)

I am from Illinois. I build farm toy displays and collect farm toys as well. I also work in n scale model trains.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

Here from Arizona, I do Warhammer (40K and FB), as well as the now defunct Heroscape. I have some HO trains and a G train exclusively for the Christmas tree. My Warhammer armies are IG (now Astra Militarum), Skiitarii, and Skaven.

Virginia Beach (U.S.A). I model ho scale modern CSX and Amtrak in Ho scale. And have started modeling the somerset and dorset in OO scale around 1962 timeframe

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

Virginia Beach (U.S.A). I model ho scale modern CSX and Amtrak in Ho scale. And have started modeling the somerset and dorset in OO scale around 1962 timeframe

you had me at S&D, feel free to post a thread on it

I'm Ben and I love the Denver and Rio grande western railroad.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30