Thomas the Tank Engine 69 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

So, remember the Thomas special Marvelous Machinery? Of course not, I didn't watch it, you didn't watch it, nobody watched it. We all know it was mediocre at best to painstakingly awful at worst. (grrr "flossing robot" grrr) But that aside, there was one character from that special that I randomly started thinking about giving more personality: Sonny.

I was listening to "Ghost In The Sun" by PrinceWhateverer, as you do, and thought up this story to the song.

When Sonny worked at the coal mines on the mainland, he had a sister working alongside him. (Don't have a name for her yet) His sister was a ray of sunshine, who took no nonsense from anyone. Sonny loved his sister more than anyone else. However, two men in particular would take advantage of her. Those being the two criminals (whose names are Baz and Bernie apparently) who would later acquire him and his sister shortly before being withdrawn from service. Both of them were used as an accessory for their crimes, mostly involving thievery. But one day, as Baz and Bernie were off planning another crime, Sonny's sister tipped off a policeman about the criminal's crimes. Before they could catch them, the two criminals escaped in Sonny and his sister. They hid from the authorities that night at an abandoned smelter's yard. They questioned the engines harshly, but finally his sister cracked and admitted to the snitching. sacrifice to say, Baz and Bernie weren't too pleased at this.
"You've had enough tonight"
They verbally lashed out at her. Sonny wanted to say something, but didn't want to anger the thieves further.
"Dear sister it's alright"
Baz and Bernie knew they couldn't take her along any longer. Nor could they leave her there, to leave any trace.
And so, to set an example, they brought out the cutter's torch. All sorts of tools, to scrap her. Violently, maliciously, tearing her apart piece by piece as she screamed, and Sonny could only watch in horror as his sister slowly and painfully died right in front of his eyes. The memory forever burned into his smokebox. It gives him an intense fear of being scrapped(and scrap yards in general), more than any other engine. This was enough to make him obey. To follow the orders given by Baz and Bernie. To be a thief. Forevermore.

Fast forward an unspecified amount of years, Sonny and the criminals arrive on Sodor for the technology fair. At this point, Sonny's become lethargic of their thievery, and begins thinking about his sister. When he is given the chance to do some work again, fetching some fresh milk for whatever reason I can't remember, he starts feeling regretful.
"I swear to God, I'm not the evil one"
He starts yearning to be a useful engine again. He has a spat with Baz and Bernie, and they both chastise him for it.
"Just one more choice you have to make,
You or Me, no space to hesitate"
They tie his regulator open and set him off, setting up a diversion and going on to steal the hovercar plans(why Mattel) and Kenji as their runaway vehicle. Thomas sees Sonny racing off and follows after him.
Sonny begins struggling with all his built up emotions over the years as Thomas chases him down.
"For all the black in starry night,
for every ray of warm sunlight"
As Thomas switches points, Sonny's emotions start to boil-
"It's over now we're out of time
dear sister sleep"
-when suddenly he sees his sister in front of him.
"You'll be alright"
This somehow gives Sonny the strength to shut his regulator, snapping the rope, and he comes to a sudden stop, frozen. Eyes wide, silent. Thomas sees Kenji fly past and goes after him, leaving Sonny all to himself.
As he stands there, slowly, his lip starts quivering, eyes start to water, and he begins to cry. Letting it all out.
"for sky so bright on clearest day
though cold and numb, so far away
it's all my fault you've won this fight
I'll see you soon sweet dreams tonight"
Sonny's Second Chance episode happens, then he is given a job to take some cars to the smelters. He can't even take one puff into the main building before getting terrified and running off, not delivering the load. His deliveries to the scrap yard start piling up.
He tells Thomas and Toby his story, and they understandingly sympathize. Sir Topham Hatt is notified of the scrap deliveries never being delivered, and is disappointed. He goes to confront Sonny about this, arriving on Toby. He crosses his arms as he speaks.
"You've had enough tonight"
Sonny has a flashback to his sister at the Fat Controller's words, "Dear sister it's alright" and starts running away backwards. Toby has to quickly explain to Topham about Sonny's fear of scrap and the two give chase.
As the chase goes on, Sonny's fear warps his surroundings. As they reach the viaduct, the panic overflows and his speed goes out of control....

The story ends there, on a cliffhanger, to let the audience decide if he survived or not. I'd like to say he did, not falling into the viaduct but instead crashing into the ground just before the bridge. He lives, and gets the help he needs. Though the alt. ending is still an option.
And that's all my brain garbage dumped out for you all to read. Don't plan on making this a fanfiction, but if anyone would want to do so, that would be a-okay with me. What do you all think?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1