Weekly Contests 373 members · 110 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Howdy, for all that are reading this, I just have a few questions which will be listed below. If you know the answers, please comment.

1. I'm new to the group and want to be known for a verity of things, mainly my writing. So, my question is; What are the most common genres of writing that is preferred for the contests?

2. How long do do stories need to be as in maximum and minimum?

3.Can we use stories that we are already writing (As in uncompleted or already finished) as an entry or do we have to make a new one from scratch?

4. Lastly, what is the most common rating for the contests? (Everyone, Teen, and Mature)

Those sum up most of my questions so please, if you know any i'd like to figure them out. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

-The Survivalist April the 29th 2015 11:02am Central

2. How long do do stories need to be as in maximum and minimum?

It will say on the contest requirements.

4. Lastly, what is the most common rating for the contests? (Everyone, Teen, and Mature)

It will say on the contest requirements.

This might sound vague and uninformative, but the answer to three of your questions can be summed up as:

"Each contest is different. Use whatever genre, length, and rating you want as long as it fits within a particular contest's prompt and rules."

As for question 3:

3.Can we use stories that we are already writing (As in uncompleted or already finished) as an entry or do we have to make a new one from scratch?

I'm not entirely sure in this regard, but although it would probably be best to start anew, I think you could possibly use a story you've been working on so long as the original publish date is no earlier than the date the contest opens.

4320554 alrighty thank you both for your answers. I appreciate it

Smaug the Golden
Group Admin

1. That is entirely up to you, the writer. Some contests might have extra points added for using a specific genre, but they are open ended for genre almost every other time.
2. As the other two said, that's one hundred percent dependent on the contest itself.
3. No. The story itself must not be posted before the contest is started. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing if this was written for the contest or not.
4. Generally, contests have been everyone-teen in the past, but that was mainly up to the preference of the judges. We have also had mature only contests, so it's always depends on the contest.

4321935 Thank you for the information, it helps a lot. :twilightsmile:

4321935 Thank you for the information, it helps a lot. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7