Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Last week, Ramadan started for Muslims all across the world. Ramadan is the holy month in the Islamic calendar (which follows the moon, not the sun as the Gregorian calendar), where Muslims fast. Outside of Ramadan, Muslims can regularly fast on Mondays and Thursdays, and a few other days (which I won’t get into because there are quite a few). Fasting is also considered to be one of the five pillars of Islam, teaching us to more or less restrict ourselves.

I mention this because I’ve heard that different religions. Judaism and Christianity have holidays where their members fast. I understand fasting works into Hinduism and Buddhism, too. However, there are some differences in the meaning of fasting.

Fasting in Islam means not to not drink/eat anything, smoke, etc. from sun-up to sun-down. For Catholics, I understand they fast, but they’re allowed to drink water throughout the day. Also, Islamic fasting does not apply to everyone, including those who are sick, pregnant, or going through their period. I believe there are more, but I’m not entirely sure. That being said:

What are the traditions of fasting in religions like? Are there certain days for fasting? Are there any exceptions for who can fast?

Now, I'm not trying to insult anyone. I’m just curious. Thank you.

-W.S.

4504004 In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we observe a monthly fast. This occurs on the first Sunday of each month, with two exceptions. We have a Fast Sunday on the last Sunday of March and September rather than the first of April and October because those First Sundays are when the semi-annual General Conference is held. We can also fast on any other day that we feel we need to, though we're encouraged not to fast for more than 24 hours at a time.

When we fast, we go without food for two consecutive meals. Most of the time this is breakfast and lunch, but some prefer to fast through Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast. Any other parameters of the fast are between oneself and the Lord. Some of us choose not to drink AT ALL during a fast, while others say that a little bit of water, enough to wet the tongue and keep the throat clear, is acceptable. Some say that you can chew gum, while others choose not to, seeing it as a form of eating. Some fast for a full 24 hours, and others break their fast as soon as they can justify it to themselves. However one chooses specifically to fast, there are two things that remain consistent: they last for two meals, and they begin and end with prayer.

Fasting serves to draw us closer to God. During a fast our spirits are strengthened, and we can feel the Spirit more easily. We receive guidance and direction more clearly and readily, and the promptings of the Spirit are clearer. This is why our Sacrament Meeting (our primary worship service) on Fast Sunday is a Testimony Meeting. Rather than having speakers assigned to speak from the congregation, anyone who wants to is allowed to come to the pulpit to bear their testimony of the truths of the Gospel. Because both speaker and listener are fasting, both are even further edified by the Spirit. The speaker knows better what to say, and the listener's heart is more open to receive these truths.

We always fast for a purpose, whether this purpose is for ourselves or for others. We can fast for guidance in a difficult decision, for health for oneself or someone we know, for comfort for one going through a hard time, or for anything else that seems appropriate. A common phrase that I've heard is that fasting without a purpose is called dieting.

Fasting is also a chance to aid in the Church's Welfare Program. We donate a Fast Offering when we fast. This offering is at least the cost of the two meals that we went without, but we are asked to give generously when we can. Every cent of the Fast Offering goes directly to the Welfare Program. Basically, by going without these two meals, you ensure that someone else gets to eat.

This is how Mormons view fasting, which is always accompanied by prayer. If you have any further questions about it, please feel free to ask. And thanks for sharing how Muslims believe regarding fasting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2