Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Whenever talking about religion, both detractors and supporters bring up a quote from a religious text to prove a point. Sometimes, these quotes can be good but I find that most people take quotes that aren't really authentic.

For instance, in Islam, there are hadiths, sayings of the prophet Muhammad (صلى عليه وسلم) that talk about his decisions, judgments, and acts of worship (something along those lines anyway). Authenticity for these hadiths are based on the authenticity of the chain of narrators who happen to be the disciples of Muhammad (صلى عليه وسلم).

Here's one hadith you might have heard of: 72 virgins. Now, this is a hadith, but it's not authentic as it has a weak chain of narration, thus it's not to used. Another hadith is "Go seek knowledge as far as China," which does sound good but again, it's not authentic (actually it's complete fabricated).

Does anyone have anything like this? I know it's in Islam, but I'm not sure about in other religions. Thanks.

W.S.

4298161 The Holy Book of Christianity is the Bible. In addition, there is a collection of books known as the Apocrypha. In it you will find books that claim to have been written by or about prophets, but that don't have enough evidence to support that they were. Different denominations sometimes disagree on exactly which books belong in the Apocrypha as opposed to the Bible, but the books found in the King James and similar versions are generally accepted as canonical. All others are in dispute.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2