Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Along with Aaliyah's thread about a "Religion of Peace," I thought I'd address the Christian command to love all mankind.
What does it mean? Is there an extent to loving another?
Please be kind about your responses.

3451948 Is loving everyone practical? If everyone was full of unlimited love and one person would not be bound by this belief, wouldn't that person be able to take advantage of everyone else?

Or is this just an expression. Love everyone, except if they aren't perfect in some way. If that is the case, then you don't have to love them, but can punish them instead.

What does it mean?

Well I'm too lazy to quote the text but that means quite of few things. One in the base sense do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It also means that to love yourself, but by knowing God first since he is true love and through getting that true love you will be filled up to flow love into other people's lives.

Is there an extent to loving another?

Well love could only really go so far without knowing God and his love first. It remains at just an affection or having feelings for another person, it may even be seemly deep, but it isn't true love, where the love is unconditional.

Most relationships today are for the most part conditional and that could only go so far, which is what would lead to certain divorces or break ups, or in the case of friends, for them to hate each other.

That's how far love travels without having and learning about the true love that God offers. It remains in just the affection state until something happens were the affection and feelings break for the two parties in the case of couples and for friends that would be were the friendship falls flat.

My mind is tired to finding the text to support my say, but I think it's clear enough. Is it? :unsuresweetie:

3452101 I think you may be after Matthew 7: 12

12 “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.”

And yes, I think you were pretty clear enough. I agree that love for God is required in order to love others.

3452088 Love is very practical and not just an expression. I honestly can say I have not heard that hypothetical situation before but I don't think it is relevant. To me, the Bible says to love others, despite perfection or imperfection. Plus, punishment is a bit more complicated than just, "You're wrong so now you will be punished." In fact, we are to love everyone, even those that hate us.
Matthew 5: 43-44

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy,’
44 “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.”

3452128 No matter how hard it is, we have to try and do that.

3452142 Sometimes, it is very, very, very hard. :ajbemused:

3452144 I know. To tell you the truth, I hold absolutely, no love for my ex. I want nothing to do with her after the way I was treated.

3452148 The only advise I have is pray to God. I am not married and have not been so I don't really know what you are going through. But God does know and Christ will be your friend in this.

3452159 not ex wife. ex fiancée. I guess God knew what she was doing to me, and decided to help me.
If anything, I got my old personality back, and others have said I've returned back to my normal self.

3452229 Oh, I misunderstood. But it sounds like things worked out better in the end. God does work in mysterious ways.

3454600 been feeling a lot better since then.

3454639 I'm sure things will work out better for you next time.

3454653 not going to worry about that for a while. Right now, get through what is left of college for me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15