Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Here is for anyone wanting to learn what Christianity teaches. If your Christian beliefs differ from another Christian, as there are different denominations, please see the person in private. Some questions can but some should be asked in private. If you don't know if a question can be asked here, just ask me. If it can, post away. If not, you and I or you and another Christian can talk in private.

3451945 Why does the Old testament differ from the new one? Did god change his mind in between?

3452079 Nice questions.

Did god change his mind in between?

He never does. It is written that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Why does the Old testament differ from the new one?

I would like to answer this, but man is the gonna take awhile. I think I'll have TheTrueDragoon answer that one. :twilightsheepish:

3452079 An excellent question. No, God does not change His mind. Everything that God says is evil or sinful does not change or go away when the New Testament is instituted. God is the same God in both Old and New Testaments. Since I have seen multiple arguments about God being different between the Old and New Testaments, is there something more specific you are asking about?

3452112 Nothing specific. I'm just wondering why this argument even exists. Why aren't both testaments written in a way that would indicate that it's the same god in both. The impression you get about god when you read the old testament is different than the impression you get about the god from the new testament. Wouldn't it be better if that was not the case?

3452112 the main difference I noticed, was the New Testament showed more forgivness than the Old

3452118 There are people who say that God is violent, hateful, and a whole lot of other things that would take too long to list, in the Old Testament then kind, gentle, and forgiving in the New. Others argue that God list things as sinful in the Old only to change them to no longer being sins or outright ignoring all together. None of this is true. Sadly, this stems from misunderstanding and misinterpretation.

3452118 He's still the same. He his a forgiving God, but he is also a jealous God. We will never fully understand the way he works. No matter how much you read the Bible, he is full of mystery.

3452079 In the OT, the Israelites needed a harsh God, one who set for them ritualistic commandments and harsh punishments. This is because, after so long in Egypt, they were rooted in Egyptian ways and had to be broken of that. They were not ready for the higher law, and so were given the Law of Moses, including the Ten Commandments.

The NT marks the entrance of the Savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He fulfilled the Law of Moses and ushered in the higher law, which they were now more ready to receive. Much of this is found in the Sermon on the Mount. This is the main reason I think that God seems so different between the two. The God of the OT had to break the Israelites of their old habits and practices, which required a stern hand. Once they were ready, He sent His Son to teach the higher law, the law of mercy and forgiveness.

This is how I understand it.

3451945 Actually, I have been wondering about Jesus, his relation with God, and the Trinity in general. It's a similar question I asked a couple years ago , and I still wonder about it.

In Islam, Jesus (or Isa) is born of a virgin birth but he is not the son of God (as Muslims believe he was created as easily Adam) and a double of Jesus had been crucified, not Jesus himself.

It's because of this I wonder which part of the Bible mentions such a divine connection between God and Jesus that's a huge part of Christianity as well as where does the Holy Spirit fit into all of this.

-W.S.

4297970 Send me a PM about this. My time is a bit limited at the moment and I left the group after the founder was banned. Group is pretty much dead with a banned founder and no other admins. I would love to talk about this though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11