RPG Makers of FIMFiction 51 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 49 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 49
sbloom85
Group Admin

I'm using Unity to create this. With Unity, I'll be able to build it as a web application, and if there's demand for it, builds for Windows, Mac and Linux PCs.

The generator will consist of DShou's sprites as well as Urimas', this means the generation has been doubled.

What is done?
Scene creation (main menu, DShou generation, Urimas generation)
Pony type selection slider (Earth pony, unicorn, pegasus), There won't be an alicorn selection unless there's demand for it.
RGB sliders
Age and gender sliders
Arrays (for sliders, text objects, strings and images (body, hair, eyes))
Modifier code (text, sprites, object visibility)

What needs to be done?
Image export

This sounds supremely helpful.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I'll try to have some screenshots up tomorrow. I'm doing a little bit of coding right now.

That sounds really helpful. It was going to be a pain to try and create a bunch of random pony NPC to populate an entire town with...

sbloom85
Group Admin

The biggest issue will probably be getting the image to export. I've never done this before, but I'll do my best.

sbloom85
Group Admin

First two screenshots, please be aware that it's still a WIP.

Main Menu

The DShou Style Generator

Once I get sprites imported, I'll take new screenshots.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I just recorded a video of what I've got so far. So far, I'm just messing around with the layout. Let me know what you think.

It looks pretty good. Kind of missing some sliding bars for different styles of hair/tail/accessories (actually, it really could just be one bar, now that I think about it) in order make the some of them stand out a bit besides just color. The walking animation and showing it from all sides is very helpful.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Yeah, I'm still working on the layout. I might move the sliders closer to each other and add Hair/Eye sliders under the type slider.

There are currently two different eyes for the adults, one standard and one like Rarity's. I haven't looked at the eyes for the kids, but there might be two of those.

I still need to get started on coding. I currently have 25 arrays for various things such as sliders, text boxes, image boxes, sprites (body, hair and eye) and animations.

As far as accessories, I don't think I've seen any DShou (or Urimas) style sprites have accessories on them. Cutie marks are going to be a hassle too.

I've seen a few with stuff like Royal Guards helmet, and Applejack's hat used to make Daring Do. Mostly stuff that alters the way the pony mane looks.

Cutie Marks, on the other hand, shouldn't be too much trouble if you stick with the basics. Simple shapes like a single circle as a 'fruit', or multiple really small circles, or a very simple shapes like that should be fine. Any Cutie Mark a person needs to make more complicated should already be custom made.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Yeah. Just looked at some of the sprites I've got and accessories and cutie marks are viable. The cutie mark would have to be layered between the body and the wing, which means I'd have to make three imageboxes for those layers, plus sprite arrays for the cutie marks and accessories. Simple stuff, really, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

sbloom85
Group Admin

New video. This one includes the Urimas generator scene.

To get the Urimas sprite sheet to fit, I had to scale the image box down to 1/8th the original size. I know the animation for the preview is off, but the app is far from ready for release as I still need to code it.

Missing a bar for changing Cutie mark color.

Urimas style looks really nice, though.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Thanks for the catch.

Urimas' sprites are nicer, but DShou's are ideal for RPG Maker.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Update: Eyes have been added to the DShou generator. I am also considering separate sliders for manes and tails for more customization.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I hit a bit of a snag when recoloring the eye. When I change the color, Unity changes the color of all the pixels.

sbloom85
Group Admin

New video up!

Not much here, just made a script to change some text boxes when the slider has been modified.

I may consider making check boxes for the horn and wings.

A check box for horns and/or wings would work if you want to allow 'alicorn' creations with this.

You may also want to combine accessories with mane style, as much of those accessories effect the mane (wearing a hat, having a bow in the mane, etc.)

sbloom85
Group Admin

I'll see what I can do before I make a final decision on that.

You may also want to combine accessories with mane style, as much of those accessories effect the mane (wearing a hat, having a bow in the mane, etc.)

I'm just a coder working with available resources. To be honest, I haven't seen any sprites, DShou or Urimas, that have accessories on them.

Applejacks hat from Dshou character sheets? (which works double for Daring Do)
Nurse Redheart's hat for Urimas?
The Spa ponies headband?

Admittedly, neither of them have done Applebloom character sheet to have a bow in their mane yet/

sbloom85
Group Admin

I guess I should've said "many", not "any". Here's a CMC sprite sheet. I don't think it was done by dshou, but it does have Apple Bloom's bow and the CMC's cloaks.

If the ears are a separate layer from the rest of the head, then the head accessory would be layered between the ears and the mane.

In any case, it's going to be one step at a time. I'm still trying to figure out why this code doesn't work and I'm a novice C# programmer.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Got the gender slider to affect the visibility of game objects, so I'll make separate objects for male and female adults as well as male and female kids.

I guess I should've said "many", not "any".

That's also why I thought the two sliders should be one. There's very few accessories to make it worth its own bar, and it affects the mane style anyway.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Yeah. I'll do that.

sbloom85
Group Admin

You can find quite a number of dshou-based RPG Maker sprites here.

sbloom85
Group Admin

NEW VIDEO!

As of this video, coding is nearly complete. All I need to do is work out the RGB sliders and the export function, then I'll need to import resources.

I'm considering removing the preview animation object due to the fact there will be a crapload of sprites that will need to be animated.

I'm considering removing the preview animation object due to the fact there will be a crapload of sprites that will need to be animated.

You could add a option just above "Export" that gives a 'walking preview' to the user. Not sure if that would make things easier or not.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Not really, the animations would still have to be made for every sprite imported.

sbloom85
Group Admin

NEW VIDEO!

What's new? I added a button to generate a random pony.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Well, you can now check it out on the web, just make sure you're using Firefox.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I decided to make standalone builds for Windows, Mac and Linux.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I finally figured out how to change colors. Unfortunately it changes on 0 and 1 right now and not 0-255. I'm trying to figure it out now and I'll record a video when I have it sorted out.

sbloom85
Group Admin

New video:

All that's missing is the export function. Once that's been programmed, it will be ready.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Unity isn't working for me anymore. It keeps crashing on load.

So I won't be able to continue working on the sprite generator, or anything with Unity for that matter. At least not until I can figure this out.

:(
Well that's a shame.

sbloom85
Group Admin

I'm reinstalling it right now. Hopefully it'll work.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Okay, I got it working, but I'm still at an impasse.

4613000 Well, good luck with that generator. I'm looking forward to when you finally make the full version.

sbloom85
Group Admin

The bulk of the programming is done, I just need to figure out how to export images.

Another thing I need to do is work on manes, tails, cutie marks and the eyes. The eye layer I currently have is a whole image, so recoloring the iris also recolors the sclera (white part of the eye)

5313189 I actually just copied all of dshou's premade sprites into the RPG project in question (that I just started). Definitely helpful...but none of those characters are in the main party.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Okay. If you need, or want, any help coding, I'll be willing to help.

5313226 I'll keep that in mind. The project's a game version of a fic I recently added to the group, which is based on the Tales series, so I may need some help setting stuff up like Mystic Artes and the passive skill system.

sbloom85
Group Admin

Sounds a bit complicated. I don't normally do anything more complicated than the basic event coding. :twilightblush:

5313238 Fair enough. I've been with the RPG Maker series long enough to deal with the basic stuff, though. Thanks for the offer, at least. :twilightsmile:

What kind of Passive skill system were you thinking of?

5313423 Something along the lines of Tales of Vesperia. Weapons can have up to three passive skills attached to them, and each one has its own JP meter. When the meter fills up, that character permanently learns that skill. However, each character also has an SP stat, which works like a cost counter for the skills. You can only equip them up to your max SP.

One particular passive skill I'm interested in is Special. In the Tales series, if a character has Special equipped, is in a state called Over Limit, and holds the attack button during a stronger skill, they'll use their Mystic Arte, their ultimate attack.

So we are dealing with Final Fantasy 9 learn abilities through weapons, but all of them being passive skills instead of variety of skills.

So something like this learn equipment mixed with auto passive skill or another kind of learned passive. Added with Equip battle skill and it's addon Battle tiers.

Is any of these close to what you are looking for?

5314130 Yeah, a lot of them are! My only real problem is that Equip Battle Skill plugin. It sounds like using that solely for the passive skills would prevent the characters from using their battle skills, but maybe the Tales series battle system plugin I found will ignore that. No way of telling for now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 49