Suicide prevention group 94 members · 24 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Hey, guys, I'm working on a project for suicide prevention but I need some help. I'm wanting to include the aftershock from suicide, how it can affect people, how much of the impact can be for people, stuff like that. If you're comfortable sharing your experience, feel free to let me know. (I don't know how to phrase it, sorry >o< )

I was raised by someone who categorically refused to attend the funeral of a suicide. When I grew older, it was a difficult conversation, trying to explain to her that suicide was not a simple matter of someone being either weak or selfish. She claimed her POV on the matter to be a religious one, but I always suspected it went deeper than that (though I never found out for certain).

Aside from that, I don’t have much in the way of helpful experiences in any direct sense.

I did know a young lady whose boyfriend killed himself, and unfortunately she found the body (he’d hung himself in the closet as I recall). She developed an aversion to all forms of romantic and erotic intimacy from that point on. We parted ways after a few years, so I don’t know if she ever got help or felt the need to.

I also knew a young gentleman whose father had killed himself when the gent in question was a young child. He was a very driven individual, constantly needing to prove himself in all things, haunted by the idea that his not being good enough might have contributed to his father’s death. Meanwhile, his mother’s resentment towards him continued to grow through his life until he finally severed all ties with her during his young adulthood.

Meanwhile, a relative of mine died from accidental drug-and-alcohol mixing a few years ago. His prescription painkiller didn’t mix well with the shot of whatever he usually took before bed, and that was all it took. Unfortunately, his little girl had been told all kinds of crap by whatever church-based D.A.R.E. equivalent her area was holding. This resulted in her tearfully praying at night that God should please not punish him because he was a good daddy, he didn’t mean to die, and it really wasn’t his fault.

I have no idea if any of this will be helpful to you, but I wanted to offer it just in case.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2