The Mirrorverse 233 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Exactly what it says on the box. There's another thread about counterparts, but I thought it would be nice to discuss some things more broadly. For example, my version of the Mirrorverse isn't an exact reverse of Equestria Prime. For one thing, they don't have (as far as they know) an equivalent of the Crystal Empire.

Your ideas welcome!

Another idea, although I am not married to it: Discord is, quite simply, Discord. He can transcend time and space and be wherever he wants, sometimes in multiple places at the same time. It was a drag to be imprisoned in his "home 'verse," of course, but at least he had other places to play in.

He's "Captain Goodguy" in the Mirrorverse simply because it amuses him. He got a giant kick out of giving Celestia his autograph!

Warning: I have no clue if any of this makes an ounce of sense when compared with the details of the Mirrorverse. Feel free to point out any obvious errors.

I'm betting the Justices aren't gamblers. Luck is fair because it doesn't play favorites, but everyone likes to think it does. I think they know better. AJ teases them by referring to herself as Lady Luck. They have reason to believe she cheats at everything, but also some proof that she's almost always right too. It's unbelievably frustrating, at times.

Pinkie Pie is in a similar boat, but they've never spent enough time with her to know that she can sometimes forecast the suffering to come. Her sense of humor is like Maud's, but more vitriolic. She's a firebrand of anger and she has a right to be. No one listens to her. They brush her off as insane. Even her friends look down on her sometimes, when she isn't simply currying their favor. She's extremely co-dependent and always worried what others think of her. It saddens and disgusts her, but she can't stand to lose what she has. Pinkie clawed her way through hell to get where she is and she has no interest in going back.

Braeburn probably has wanted posters as well... So does Little Strongheart. They're a pair of stagecoach robbers who got disillusioned by how the whole tribal thing in Appleloosa went down. It's a ghost town that the buffalo mostly avoid. The overwhelming whatever that was screwing over Canterlot was turning the place into a dust bowl. The buffalo took pity on the settlers, but it wasn't enough. The ponies gave up and moved on, leaving the buffalo to stampede the path the ponies cut through the dead orchards, almost a year ago.

Little Strongheart tried to coax the ponies into finding a solution to the overall problem, since the environment was rough for her people as well, and only Braeburn was inclined to join her. No one listened; not in Appleoosa, not in Dodge Junction (which is going the same way but hanging on by a thread) and not in Mustangia. Out of frustration and desperation, they turned to crime. Cherry Jubilee is getting this close to hunting them down and demanding they return to their true purpose, by assisting her in saving her home town.

Beyond that, I got nothin'.

Discord's house is in the Mirrorverse, along with his thinking tree. True story. :raritywink:

He has an alter ego called Clerical Error, who is mild-mannered and works alongside Fluttershy at the local zoo. Fluttershy knows who he is and chides him for faking two identities, but Discord likes to keep her on eggshells by planting proof for and against his lie. In the meantime, Twilight is constantly looking for a spell to blast him back to his verse and make him stay there. He originally started the whole "hero" thing as a gag to taunt her and Spike. Now Spike is one of his biggest fans, but Twilight is still determined to make Discord go away. She has no idea about his alter ego though. He wears glasses and it's illogical that he'd wear glasses when he doesn't need them. Also, Fluttershy really doesn't want crap going down where her beloved animals are involved, so she hasn't said anything to Twilight yet.

Discord laughs himself silly about fooling her, but at some point he's going to taunt Twilight with this supposed knowledge and see what she does with it. At the moment he's trying not to get kicked off Fluttershy's property (he's technically squatting there), although he's beginning to feel more and more uneasy with the Mirror version as he becomes closer to the canon verse Fluttershy. Not because she's so terrible, but he doesn't want to pity her. She's a strong mare, who was always self-assured, but she's become bitter over how everyone takes her no-nonsense, tough love. She just wants everyone else to get over themselves and make the world a better place, but everyone is beyond selfish and stupid. She'd never believe Sombra actually did something, if not for Celestia and Luna turning together, and the world being brighter. Now she isn't sure what to think, and she hates it.

I... umm... thought of all of this right this very minute. Like, all of it.

I'm good at rambling forever about nothing at all.

I love your idea about Discord. It would also explain neatly how he hasn't beaten the alicorn sisters in this world: Namely that he doesn't want to, he likes having two worlds with opposite regal sisters he can switch between whenever he gets bored. I'd venture to say that when he gets turned into a statue in one world, he's basically banished to the other world and can't come back until the statue breaks, it may be why summoning him with the elements of harmony looks so similar to freeing him from stone with them.

The way Twilight was thinking about Starswirl, it implies royalty=alicorn. Maybe ALT Sombra IS an alicorn, but male alicorns don't get wings for some reason? It would explain why he's immortal. Orrrrrrr. I just realized. When Celestia and Luna defeated MAIN Sombra, they could have killed him, or locked him in prison for life after cutting off his horn. But instead they performed some awesomely powerful magic that turned him into a smoke monster and locked him into an ice cavern. What if Celestia did that on purpose because as long as MAIN Sombra lived in such a form, he granted life to ALT Sombra? Like some sort of transdimensional phylactery? What the regal sisters did to Sombra is pretty darned similar to what Twilight wanted to do to ALT Celestia and Luna. Does this mean that MAIN Sombra survived somewhere?

So yeah, I definitely think ALT Starswirl was evil, but it also looks like both Sombras are extroverts who like running things, while Starswirl is an introvert. Maybe ALT Starswirl was some sort of mad necromancer who lived in a secluded tower conducting his blasphemous experiments? Or if we hold to the idea of only one Discord, maybe HE's ALT Starswirl? ALT Starswirl crossed lines he never should have and turned himself into a being of unfathomable power at the cost of his sanity, while MAIN Starswirl was nice enough to let himself get sucked into helping out the three tribes. ALT Starswirl is curious about other dimensions, just like his counterpart, and wanders into the MAIN universe as Discord, and starts messing shit up.

3405423 I guess we don't know much about what the Mean Six (I love Whitewolf Stormrunner's term) are like, but this is where Mirrorverse logic gets interesting. One of the few pictures we've got is of Fluttershy snarling at Angel Bunny, who looks terrified of her. In some ways, they seem closest to the Discorded versions of themselves. While Sombra has the same cutie mark (crystals), the Mean Six don't quite (Pinkie's middle balloon is popped.) So I'm not sure Flutters' talent is with animals at all.

If Celestia is Evil Celestia--and seemingly always HAS been Evil Celestia--then there's no need to ask Fluttershy to reform him, because he doesn't need to be reformed, and therefore probably no close relationship with Fluttershy!

I love the idea about Braeburn and Little Strongheart as stagecoach robbers.

3406377 It's crossed my mind before that boy alicorns don't have wings. It makes no logical sense, but it also feels right, somehow. In any case, something is clearly different about Sombra, since he's lived thousands of years, (in both universes) and no one thinks this is odd. He IS called a "unicorn king," but from the Journal of the Two Sisters, it's clear that the Two Sisters were born alicorns and that they were raised in the Canterlot area, and that seems to be where Sombra is from.

It's also clear from what Sombra says that there is no alt-Starswirl. He only knows of one and refers to one, and that's the one Celestia brought with her--another reason to think of this as not simply binary opposites.

3410960 I was about to enter into a huffy defense about how alt Starswirl could be some isolated archmage before he turned into Discord, after all main Starswirl didn't know about main Sombra, but then I thought of something much more interesting: What if your point about there being no alt Starswirl isn't because of the WORLD of the mirrorverse but the magic of the mirrors itself? After all, Starswirl was the first to cross over to the mirrorverse. What if there's a hidden cost? For example, what if the alt version of the first creature crossing over is absorbed by the dimensional traveler in order to create that connection between universes, rewriting reality so that alt person never existed?

I realize that's a huge leap of wild speculation, but it not only explains the absence of alt Starswirl, it also explains something else that has bedeviled me: the never-explained absence of EQG Sunset Shimmer!

Another thing, what's the deal with Alt Ponyville? It seems clear the Rotten Regal Sisters rule it. Is it actually a sovereign nation in a state of permanent cold war with the rest of Equestria? Or is it like a mob town in old Italy, and the citizens pay lip service to Sombra, but the Royal Guard would never dare show their faces in Ponyville? If it is, you know they have a corrupt Ivory Scroll as the legitimate leader of Ponyville, taking bribes left and right from Applejack.

Mirrorverse makes a compelling argument that the Regal Sisters were born alicorns, by the way. In a world where there are no elements of harmony, no bad Discord, and they were never heroes, they're still alicorns, even as alt Trixie ascended and alt Twilight did not.

I think alt Luna didn't really turn evil due to dark magic when Celestia returned, by the way. I think she just missed her sister more than anything.

I too have a crazy idea on the villainous Celestia, which I will develop in Switched. I will only give a few hints to not spoil it if anyone here reads the story:
- Celestiar is commonly known as Tyrannt Sun
- the ponies loathe Lunar for betraying Sombra and joining her sister.
- Celestiar tortures the nation, but gives them a promise to reach another side.
- There is a specific reason, why Celestiar is so much after Sombra and Celestia (not only the obvious one)
- Celestiar thinks other ponies should not judge what she is doing.
- in a chapter Luna will say Celestiar is her work and nothing more.

3654026 It's my understanding that it is largely based on Fringe--and therefore everything isn't an exact mirror copy. That's a good thing. An exact negative copy of everything is predictable and boring.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13