Discussion Overflow 3 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Nexidava
Group Admin

First of all, there were noticeable differences. Lots of them.

In the physics between their 'real' world and ours? Mind giving me some examples? I didn't notice any, but if you have good examples, I won't argue. Please note that traditional movie cliches and unrealisms are a little suspect, so I'm not going to instantly go with full plausibility there.

Second, thermodynamics not being required is the *premise*.

Yes, but it's a poor premise to hold without evidence, and I even believe I have counter-evidence. I'm unclear on how taking the point in question in an argument as a premise is helpful at all. "The bible says God exists" much?

Third, you can not math. Some other rules may or may not have been in effect, but you'd probably consider them arbitrary because you're fixated on math. I mean, obviously, math itself *existed* -- for one thing, the AIs love it (and probably run on it) or they wouldn't have invented the Matrix simulation based on it.

So... the AI run on math, but the world that they live and run in does not? This is getting awfully far from Occam's Razor for my liking.

It was probably related since the simple Newtonian equations are things that everyone observes constantly and if they were wildly off then the illusion would have been instantly broken for the first generation.

Occam's Razor, again - so you're saying they took a non-mathematical model and put it to mathematics, then added all this crazy shit like entropy just because? If people still function outside the Matrix, a similar process to entropy must function, mathematical or not, to force energy to flow all the right ways.

To the point where high energy physics and relativity might be complete nonsense -- a skybox that only NPCs actually interact with. Sure, they'll *claim* that it's all interlinked and that you can't separate the complex math from the simple math that can be directly observed, but anyone who goes and tries the experiments themselves -- which is going to be a really small percentage of the population -- runs into glitches or kicks themselves out of the matrix or gets assassinated by AIs.

This argument is nonsensical. Do you even physics? You can call high energy physics into question all you like, but entropy is observable universally. By me, by you, all the time. It is a fundamental basis of our universe. It's so common we don't even notice.

Besides, this is all in the wrong mental quadrant - whether Matrix physics are what matrix physicists say they are or not is irrelevant. This is about comparing the Matrix, where entropy is assumed to exist mathematically and is universally observable, with an external world where it does and is not.

So let's back up to square one:

The AIs tried to give the humans a paradise, but their minds rejected it due to unrealism. So they made a realistic world, right? Realistic. To the world they came from. Why change things? Why make it worse by removing the limitless power clause in physics? Why bother? Why chance rejection?

Why create or pretend to create all these interesting and high-computational-power physics when Newtonian could have done well enough? Why create entropy if you come from a world without?

What is the analogue, if not the same thing by a different name?

All in all, Occam's Razor wants to slit your throat. Unless you can reason out why, in the fictional setting of the Matrix specifically, it makes sense for entropy to be added artificially to the Matrix, and for the world prior to not experience it, your entire perspective just looks like an attempt to be deliberately contrary.

And there's nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate - as long as you know when to quit.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2