Blunt Reviews Group 467 members · 170 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Mondai Shunketsu reviews - You Can't Take the Sky from Me

When you make a slice of life, you want to make sure that there's enough life in that slice to make it rather nice. I ordered a slice and was quaintly pleased with my selection. I believe you will be too.

It happens a lot where good fics go unnoticed, and this is one of those instances. While the story itself is not too complicated to follow, and we're given the entirety of it in a single sentence (the "long" description), this doesn't detract from the fact that it was still one of the best I've read on here.

In about 3,000 words, we're allowed to track alongise the amazing and awesometastic mind that is... Rainbow Dash's. :rainbowkiss:

The author mentioned that this fic was a sequel to one he'd written earlier of similar intent, but I don't believe that one had to be read to understand this one. And how exactly can we understand this one? Well, it's simple, because we're told what to understand throughout. Rainbow Dash is out practicing her flying in order to perfect this one move. During her session, she contemplates on why she flies. To be fair, the author achieved his goal of presenting the idea he wanted to get across, but it seemed at times that the thoughts running through this story jump from one topic to another.

That's the beauty of it, though. The story reads like an actual thought process, something of which I applaud the author for attempting.

There are several other thoughts thrown in with this idea such as her feelings of regret for allowing Gilda to move on as she did, and some qualms about even flying in the first place when she was younger, but in the end, we're led to the conclusion that RD does what she does, did what she did, because that is who she is. That is what she is.

One would think such a thought to occur from our beloved flyer jock is a bit out of character!

Uh uh uh uh uh!

Quite the contrary. I found that this train of thought is actually rather believable, and even if Rainbow wouldn't outright say this in the show, it's something that crosses everyone's mind at some point.

Many of us come to read stories about colorful horses to escape from the complexities and troublesome worries of real life, but this story has a way to toss you back into the fray, and get you to consider things you'd just let slip to the back of your mind. I could totally relate with what Rainbow was thinking, and the entire time I spent reading this, I wasn't forced to see a point of view or given some cheesy moral to consider...

I was motivated to analyze myself, and wonder why I do what I do, who I am to myself, and how I can better myself, just like what our MC is doing. It was a real-life call to my senses through a fictional character and scenario, of which I was glad to receive. I would recommend giving this a read, and then storing it for later.

It's not often you get a pep talk from a sky-blue rainbow-maned pegasus.

I do.

-Shunketsu

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1