The All-American Girl Saga 236 members · 17 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

I came up with this idea while seeing some of the movie titles in the story and thought what other movies/games/tv series could have been made during the time of the side stories and main story. They will be told through a review format with character I don't plan on making a side story for.

A title note on this review: Sherri Rose is a earth pony and John is her step-father. I do plan a side story for them and Hans Henriksen.

The Long Road to Nowhere
Review by Alex Winter

The Long Road to Nowhere is a 2045 American action film directed by Hans Henriksen and written by Mark Strong with Sherri Rose as co-writer. The film stars Mark Strong, Sherri Rose, Soren Almaya, John Rose, and Johnny Szcenca in his final role due to his death after the movie was finished.

Alex Max (played by Strong) is an FBI agent who's sworn enemy is Fangs (played by Sherri Rose) after she killed his family while trying to assassinate him. She gets arrested only to be saved by one of her henchmen played by John Rose. Now it's up to Mark Strong and his new partner, Bruce Russell [played by Soren], to stop her before she makes her next move.

I want to start off by saying that I knew this was going to be a wild ride before I saw it and If anyone who enjoys the action films of the 90s will have fun with this from beginning to end. The trailer really set the tone the movie was going to be and the fact that Hans Henriksen was the one who directed this. I wanted to see another action movie directed by him after seeing Heroes and Allies and this is coming from a director who mostly directed comedies as well as dramas.

I'm very disappointed with how people are reacting to this film and I feel that the fans of Sheri Rose were expecting a dark mean spirited story that she has been known for. I don't care as this shows she wants to try different things and willing to take risks.

The performances from from both leads were decent and it was fun watching them when they shared the screen together. It was nice seeing Sherri Rose playing a villain and you can see she was having fun with the role 100%. Mark Strong held his own very well and it was interesting to see an A Lister such as him doing a fun movie like this.

The rest of the cast are also worth the mention with the noticeable being Johnny Szcenca as the chief of police and it being his final film. The plot of the movie on the other hand is pretty simple with lots of plots holes that you can shake a stick at. I can agree with everyone that is where the movie fails but it makes up with character development and nice action scenes. It's one of these films that you can't really take too seriously and just have fun with it.

8/10

I started the kernel of this as a story ages ago, but it's so wide open I couldn't think of where to go with it, and don't plan to write it. I don't want this to be a self-promotion thing on someone else's story's group, anyhow, so that works fine.

I've heard a lot of talk about this film lately, but only in certain circles. The kind of circles wherein turtleneck sweaters and lattes have been making a resurgence. Afterlife is really more a curiosity than anything, at least for this (all too) human reviewer, and I have to wonder if there are cross-cultural issues at play here. Still, this is a review for a mostly-human audience, so this time I'll consider my limited perspective more of a gift than a liability.
This is, if not quite the first film from Alter-Earth after regular contact opened, at least the first Alter-Earth release I know of that shows influence by human-Earth culture. As such, by its very nature it can't help but be experimental. And, as early, experimental films often are, it's a bit of a mess.
The central conceit is probably known well beyond my ability to spoil. There's an afterlife, at least for Ponies, and Pinkamena Diane Pie is in charge of it,
Why Pinkie Pie? I saw this film recently in a theater in a small town in Iowa. As the Big Reveal(tm) flashed across the screen, I heard some kid exclaim, "Hey, that's Pinkie!" The Pony everybody knows. Either Alter-Earth has known about marketing for some time, or they're fast studies. There may be other factors; I've heard that she's pretty eccentric, even for an alien from a different reality. I've met her personally for about five seconds, and I believe it.
The problem comes after the reveal. Obviously the writers didn't know where to go from there, and the quest for the newly- and dearly-departed heroine seems every bit as tacked on as it undoubtedly was.
To serious students of Equestriani culture there is a small added bonus of Princess Luna's debut in film as the psychopomp. A role she was clearly less than comfortable with. Moreover, I can only imagine the difficulty the director (one Mr. Stein) had in trying to coach his ruler and goddess.
I understand that the film has completed its last tour of theaters for a while, and will be available for general download in two or three months. If you are interested in film history or Equestriani culture, I can easily recommend this. If you are looking for a film that rests on its own qualities, though, I'm afraid I have to recommend you look elsewhere.

Rating: 3.5

I had another movie in mind but since this was half way done I wanted to finish what I had left of it. In Universe, the second installment was directed by Sherri Rose with Amanda Rose returning as writer.

I have to admit that that I never read any of the books this movie is based off of and only saw it because Amanda was the writer. It didn't really help matters that was she only known for dark theme R rated movies and I don't blame the fans of the book or the parents for fearing where she would take the film. The problem here is if you seen The Littlest Unicorn then you would know that she was one of the writers for that show. Being a fan of her past work she has showed she can do films that anyone can watch.

I'm sure her bringing one of Equestria's most famous book series to the big screen wasn't going to be easy which she admitted in an interview I did with her. It was a fun experience talking with her and she even invited me to the advance screening.

I was impressed at how much I enjoyed the film when I saw it. The film manages to throw you into the original tale with likeable characters and good voice acting. The voice cast manages to bring their characters to life with their emotions and delivery. The casting of Voice Change as the voice of Daring Do and Marion Henriksen I saw coming as they been in other films written by Amanda Rose. This doesn't mean that they were horrible choices for the roles however.

The movie is filled with twist and turns keeping me interested all the way through with funny moments that the book series is known for. The major flaws that the movie has is that the animation can sometimes be wonky or stiff and the ending needed more thought into it. This is fine as the animation team that did the movie also animated The Littlest Unicorn. They have shown they have gotten better since season 1.

That being said, I have to mention that Ahuizotl not being in the movie was a good move. It would of been to predictable if he showed up as the one behind the events. Over all this movie has everything for kids and adults.

Rating: 9/10

Here's some behind the scenes of the movie:

Sherri Rose was originally set to direct the movie but due to her staring in a movie at the time, the role of director went to Jonathan Price, the director of Arddun Lleuad.
Ahuizotl was originally set to be the real villain in the script.
Amanda Rose wanted to use an artifact from Human Earth.
Not credited in the movie, Amanda and her mother make cameos.
This is the 2nd movie to be written by Amanda Rose to get released in Equestria.
Sherri Rose has stated in interviews that she regrets not directing this film as she is a big fan of the Daring Doo series since she was a filly.
The movie won Award for Best Screenplay.
Casting Voice Change as Daring Doo was the idea of the director after listening to her readings of the book series online. This is not the first time she worked on a movie that was written by Amanda Rose however.
Amanda named Marion Henriksen's character after Caroline Schweiger, a role that Marion won a Award for Best Supporting Actress.

I loved the review! :pinkiehappy:

3038884, there was a mention of a movie called The Converters in AAG.

It's obviously a spoof on TCB and it was very poorly received in-universe. I'll probably put a review of it some time.

3041705 I can help you with that one as I have something in mind for that. I'll PM you what I have in mind when I get the chance, alright?

3041713, I'm writing a review on it.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Group Admin

Actually, if I remember correctly The Covnerters was removed during the rewrite. It doesn't exist anymore. Thus, any discussion of it would be strictly non-cannical from the AAG perspective.

3043092, just checked.

The Converters is mentioned in Chapter 3 of AAG on Fimfiction.

Oben Die Dunkelheit, translated into English as Above the Darkness, is the real first film that Marion Henriksen had a lead role in. The interesting thing about this film is the fact that this never got finished until recently by Sherri Rose. Let me explain, The movie was written and directed by Dietrich Falkenstein who died before he could finish the film. The finished version is in memory of him which I thought was nice of Sherri to do.

She said in an interview that she didn't want to see this director's hard work go waste when she saw what footage remained. The kicker here is that Marion Henriksen was 11 years old when she acted in this and was going to show that she be an actress. She was nothing more then an extra or did small parts before getting the lead role in this. I can start talking about the movie now that I got that behind scenes over with.

The movie is a German independent horror film that gained a considerable amount of notoriety in film festivals around the world for its controversial subject matter and gory presentation. It deals with a wave of seemingly unconnected murders that strikes Germany and the efforts of the police to determine the identity of the killer. It centers around Marion Henriksen's character throughout the film however.

The interesting thing about this is that people thought that Marion Henriksen had a daughter, thinking this was a recent film that Sherri directed. I had the same thought when I first saw the movie only be debunked when I saw the ending credits. The dialogue from both the German version and the dub are somewhat different as there was some that were off. The same went with the scenes as there were ones that didn't have anything to do with the story. The good thing that they were removed when it came out in theaters.

The acting from Marion Henriksen is excellent and manages to be a good villain while making the viewers uncomfortable when she's on screen. The cool thing about this is that she manages to keep this up when she older and the rest of the cast is a hit or miss with me as there were ones that did a good job. I find it interesting that the 2nd half when she's older was not suppose to be filmed because the movie was going to jump-start Marion career. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing and Marion did play with it when Sherri took over the directing.

Dietrich Falkenstein and Sherri Rose do a great job at creating an unsettling atmosphere with some nice macabre overtones. I'm sure that both directors would of worked nicely together if he was still alive today. Sherri also gives a nod to Takashi Miike's Ichi the Killer with the older design of Marion Henriksen's character and the poster.

I recommend this movie if you can handle some of things in the film and are open minded. You can even consider this being a lost film if you will.

Rating: 10/10

3042545 Nice, I look forward to it. Did you get my PM? :twilightsmile::
Just making sure is all.

The Converters

A review by Silver Screen

Catseye's first foray into the film making industry was with this 2045 remake of the early 2029 horror-thriller. Reel Action plays Princess Celestia. Soren Almaya stars as Sergeant Nathan Blaise, a Human resistance fighter.

In short, Equestria and Earth meet but Equestria's magic is spreading out across Earth, lethally irradiating any Humans. This disaster necessitates the Humans transform into Equestriani to survive. However, it was later revealed that the entire event was orchestrated by Princess Celestia as a plan to uplift Humans. Unfortunately, the Humans aren't given a choice and so, they resist. Calling it a remake is a bit of a stretch since the film is pretty much an inversion of the original movie's plot.

It is well-known that ambient magic does not harm Humans in any way, so the lethal magic appears to be a cheap plot contrivance – and proof that Catseye has no idea how magic works. That alone completely shatters my suspension of disbelief.

Onto the technical aspects. The battle scenes were done quite well and feature brutal, gritty realism. The sets and backgrounds are lavishly decorates with numerous little details that really make the movie come alive. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the film's budget went to special effects, costuming and set design.

Wooden dialogue, utterly forgettable as well as unlikable characters and a ludicrous plot fail to compensate for the gratuitous amounts of eye-candy. And its liberal use of offensive stereotypes grates on my nerves.

Depicting Sergeant Blaise as wearing a necklace of severed Unicorn horns? Showing a group of Human children lynching an Equestriani for fun? Having the Humans communicate in barely intelligible grunts and monosyllabic sentences? Depicting Earth as a wartorn and violence filled hellhole? Really?

I thought the images of Humans as illiterate brutes went out of fashion shortly after First Contact – over twenty years ago!

And then there's the portrayal of us Equestriani. We're supposed to be heroes of the film, yet every Equestriani character – even Princess Celestia – in the film is a total speciesist and xenophobe. Terms like "monkey", "skinner" and other such slurs are casually thrown around in reference to the Humans. In many cases, the Humans are treated by the Equestriani as pets and this is seen as acceptable and good, showing it as a way to "civilize" the Humans.

0 out of 10 stars. Dazzling battle scenes and amazingly well-done costuming and sets cannot save this film from its poor plot, wooden characters, bland writing and dialogue as well as highly insulting messages and characters.

Trivia:

The film has become infamous as a piece of Purehooves propaganda.

Soren Almaya was so disgusted with the film's messages that he quit halfway through filming, necessitating that his character be killed off.

Reel Action's portrayal of Princess Celestia has led to a boycott of her films in Canterlot.

Catseye has attracted controversy for her speciesist remarks.

Sweetie Belle and Twilight Sparkle once threatened to sue Catseye for libel due to her depiction of Princess Celestia.

Many theaters and movie retailers on Earth and Alter Earth will not carry this film due to its offensive content.

Princess Celestia is on record as saying "Why should I be bothered by this film? It is after all, just fiction."]

Explainations:

Catseye is a reference to Chatoyance.

Sergeant Nathan Blaise refers to the main character (Nathan) of the original TCB and the author (Blaze).

The libel lawsuit refers to how OOC many TCB Celestias are.

3050908 I like it but the review ruins what I had planned and I don't want to change my character's back stories.

The Converters

Directed by Film Reel
Written by Film Can

This 2029 horror film represents Film Reel's first foray into the movie business. Equestriani comedian Funny Bones plays Glass Cutter, the first pony to be transformed into a Human. Marion Henriksen plays Rosamund, the leader of the terrorist group Humanity First. Aaron Giesbrecht plays Gary Culeson – Glass Cutter's Human counterpart. Green Leafe plays Aloewood and Maria Gomèz plays her Human counterpart – Denise Juarèz-Santala.

The film itself opens with a slow, droning soundtrack over a desolate battlefield. The intro does an excellent job of showing the post-apocalyptic environment.

The movie is set in 2029 and it's about the slow, inexorable march of Humanity as they forcibly subsume Equestria and the Equestriani.

Aside from the gorgeous costuming, the movie has very little going for it.

First off, the terrorists are completely one-dimensional cardboard cutouts with no depth to them. It's like they exist only to be mowed down in hordes by otherwise untrained Equestriani civilians and their Human allies. Speaking of which, how is an old woman who walks with a cane somehow able to overpower and kill a young and presumably very physically fit infantryman with said cane? Seriously!? At least try to make the villains a threat.

It is also very obvious that the set designer was slacking off. The intro scene is reused for every outdoor battle scene. Indoor battle scenes use about three different backdrops with minor variations between them.

The acting is atrocious – one moment someone's overacting, the next that same actor is showing the same emotional range as a brick. Even worse is that some of the actors are obviously reading their lines from cue cards held just off screen! Aaron Giesbrecht is supposed to play Gary Culeson as an American but it is quite apparent that he learnt his English lines phonetically. Even ignoring the heavy Dutch accent he plays Gary Culeson with, it is apparent that the man cannot act. All of his performances are dry, wooden and downright painful to watch. Funny Bones and Marion Henriksen are literally the only two quality actors in this travesty.

The most famous scene is probably the worst. The gentle Equestriani pacifist Aloewood is dragged in chains to Rosamund, who force-feeds her the serum. I'll admit, Green Leafe's acting was quite good in that scene but "good" acting in this movie isn't high praise. The Human that Aloewood becomes is Denise Juarèz-Santala – a cruel demon who takes perverse joy in slaughtering Equestriani and their Human allies. The next few scenes are needlessly gory shots of Juarèz-Santala going on a murdering spree.

Even worse is that it is all but said that Humanity is a race of savages. Every Equestriani who is turned Human immediately begins to revel in their baser desires. Even worse, there are multiple scenes of Equestriani warning that Humans are monsters – and there are only a few sympathetic Humans and they eventually become Equestriani thanks to magic artifact. What takes the cake in offensiveness is a Unicorn warning an Earth Pony with a Human friend that, so-called "civilized Humans" (ones with Equestriani friends) can turn on an Equestriani in the blink of an eye. Lo and behold, said Human friend does just that, forcibly transforming his "friend". And this sentiment appears to be a universal view amonst the Equestriani.

1 out of 10 stars. Marion Henriksen's deliciously creepy performance as Rosamund (Her speech at the film's end was absolutely incredible. It's a shame it was wasted on this tripe) and Funny Bones's darkly comedic performance as Glass Cutter salvage a travesty of horrid acting, cardboard characters, completely ineffectual and harmless villains and lazy set design. And the cop-out of the "good" Humans becoming Equestriani by way of magical artifact is lazy writing at its finest. But nothing can salvage the offensive insinuation that Humans are savages.

Furthermore, I find the fact that this was made on the heels of the "Lost Foal" incident rather distasteful as it seems like a shoddy attempt to exploit the publicity surrounding the incident.

Trivia

The transformation of the Equestriani Aloewood into the Human Denise Juarèz-Santala is explictly based off the "Lost Foal" incident. This nearly resulted in a libel lawsuit on behalf of DJ Martinez.

Due to the controversial content of this film and because it was made by a group of directing neophytes, many actors wanted no part in the film. As a result, many of the characters were played by either friends and family of the directors or staff that worked on the set.

Marion Henriksen's character is seen reading H. P. Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu" in one scene.

Marion Henriksen based her character's voice on Eva Gabor.

Marion Henriksen improvised Rosamund's famous line said at the film's end:

The ponies will learn that our race are truly superior beings and will feel our evil once they turn human. In due time, Equestria and other worthless countries will be nothing more then a faded memory.

Why?

This is what I asked myself this after coming out of watching Redemption that was written by David Barry and directed by Sherri Rose. The main problem I have with the movie is how confusing the story can be at times. I wonder why Sherri Rose would attract herself to this project or even finish it. The plot of this movie is about a woman played by Elizabeth Edwards trying to get her life back together after her near death experience. It sounds pretty simple yet it gets confusing once the movie reaches the 10 minute mark.

You can tell that the writer who wrote this didn't know where to take the story. The good things I can say about this film is the acting is good. Sherri once again gave us some nice visuals which doesn't say much about the other stuff. I'm a fan of Sherri's work but this one you can leave alone and watch her better work.

Rating: 2/10

Above the Darkness (in the original German Oben Die Dunkelheit)

Directed by Dietrich Falkenstein, Sherri Rose
Written by Dietrich Falkenstein, Sherri Rose

Starring
Marion Henriksen as Lucy Kilst
Voice Change as Lucy Kilst (voice)
Johnny Szcenca as Detective Walker Jamesson

This 2019 independent German horror film was to be Dietrich Falkenstein's magnum opus. Sadly, he died halfway through filming and additional financial difficulties forced the movie's production to stop. It was not until 2030 that the screenplay, film and all materials related to the movie were found in a storage unit by his family.

Seeing a potential to start anew, Sherri Rose – with the blessings and permission of Dietrich Falkenstein's estate – decided to complete this movie. With considerable difficulty, she has managed to track down all the original actors of this film and now, eleven years later, they have returned to the big screen.

Now onto the movie's plot, the protagonist is a tough as nails detective who's on the hunt for a killer terrorizing the streets of his city. The catch? The killer's a pre-teen girl.

The setting is a distinctly film noir city that hearkens back to the Los Angeles of the 2001 film Mulholland Drive. The classic noir elements of dark, dreary streets; terrible weather and rough structures are all present, but yet they don't seem cliche.

Johnny Szcenca plays Detective Walker Jamesson. His performance as a tough, hardboiled cop is sublime. The rough Brooklyn accent with which he delivers his lines really sells his character. In the latter half of the movie, Szcenca is visibly older and his voice sounds more strained, making it quite clear that the actor has aged. What would normally be a flaw is actually a benefit in this case because it shows how the stress of how the unsolved case as well as time is wearing on Detective Jamesson.

Marion Henriksen plays Lucy Kilst, the young serial killer. The dissonance of a cute little girl and horrifying acts of violence is spine-chilling. Henriksen shows that even as a young girl, she has some serious acting talant. On that note, she quite clearly based her performance as Rosamund, the villain of the controversial movie The Converters, on her first performance. Henrikssen uses nearly the same disturbing facial expressions and body language in both roles.

Obviously, since she's now a grown woman, she cannot reprise her role as the killer. Instead of using a child actress to play Lucy Kilst, Sherri Rose took the screenplay in a novel direction by ending the first half of the film on a lingering shot of the Detective Jamesson in a pool of blood, fading to black and skipping ahead several years.

The scene opens with Detective Jamesson, now retired, having breakfast. As he reads the newspaper, it is revealed that mutilated bodies are appearing around the city. Detective Jamesson must now hunt down the killer on his own. Eventually, he finds out that this new killer is the same one he had been pursuing all those years ago. It is all for naught as during the climactic confrontation at the end, Lucy brutally murders Detective Jamesson.

Marion Henriksen reprises her role as a now adult Lucy Kilst. If anything, her new performance as the childish killer is even creepier than before. Her eerily puppet-like actions and that disturbing lopsided smile evoke the Silent Hill movies.

My only complaint is that Voice Change dubbed over all lines from Marion Henriksen. This is unavoidable given the fact that this is an English language film and when Henriksen first acted, she did not speak English. However, the latter half of the film still has Voice Change using the same girlish voice she used for the younger Lucy. While some may find the dissonance between a grown woman butchering someone while speaking in a girlish voice utterly creepy; I personally found it bizarre and dare I say, funny.

To be honest, I think Marion's natural voice might fit the older Lucy Kilst better. That being said, I couldn't think of a better voice actor than Voice Change to do Lucy's voice. Her voice is almost perfectly synchronized to Lucy's mouth movements and body language.

Nine out of ten stars. The creepy atmospheric setting and vibrant characters really bring the story to life. Henriksen's performance as Lucy Kilst is best described is completely terrifying. Unfortunately, while Sherri Rose did a superb job in modifying the script so all the old actors could make a reappearance, she blew it by having Voice Change dub all of Henriksen's lines. That said, Voice Change is superb at matching her words to Henriksen's body language. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that Henriksen was using her own voice.

A word of warning, this film is extremely bloody and violent.

Trivia

Sherri Rose wrote in the attack on Detective Jamesson at the end of the first half of the film to account for the limp and facial scars that Johnny Szcenca got in a near-fatal automobile accident sometime in 2025.

The switchblade that Lucy Kilst uses in several of her iconic scenes is not a prop.

The screaming in the scene where Lucy nearly bisects someone with a chainsaw was not acting as an actual chainsaw with the chain removed was used.

Voice Change is Funny Bones's younger sister and this is her first big role in dubbing foreign movies.

Soren Almaya was offered the role of Detective Jamesson but he turned it down because he was already starring in Heroes and Allies.

Littlest Unicorn: Tokyo Life
Written by Amanda Rose & Midori Kenchi
Directed by Midori Kenchi

Review by Alex Winter

This movie is based on the Littlest Unicorn cartoon that was created by Funny Bones and Sherri Rose with a fourth season being planned. The film features most of the characters from the TV series and the voice actors return to provide their voices. When the movie was first announced the creators wanted it to be a made for TV movie until it decided to release it theatrical under the title Littlest Unicorn: Tokyo Life.

The story centers around Mrs. Blossom [voiced by Charlotte Henriksen] and a select group of her students visiting Japan for a field trip. The rest centers around Linda finally seeing her youngest sister with her band in tow. Most of the plot from the movie is loosely based on the experiences that Amanda Rose had when she first visited Japan.

I didn't know what to expect from this movie due to me haven't seen the TV series and surprised me how much I enjoyed this film. What impressed me that they got the most popular actors and actress from Japan to do voices in this film including ones from Love Love Trouble. The animation is what you expect from a feature film with good use of fluid movement and facial expressions.

That said, the film manages to keep both adults and children entertained with likable characters, hilarious writing and a fun soundtrack. The main problem that most of the references will go over most people's heads due to them being anime related. This movie is a must see for being based on a TV series I haven't seen yet.

Trivia:
Mrs. Blossom pasts a theater that is showing movies such as Above the Darkness (Under it's Japanese title) and Claude & Monet [also directed by Midori Kenchi].

Linda's last name revealed to be Arakawa.

In the beginning of the movie, Mrs. Blossom is shown holding a copy of The Odyssey and Faust.

After Linda and her band finish their concert, the people that came to see it start clapping and say, "congratulations" in Japanese. The two songs we do see use fame by fame recreations of the scene in "Live Alive" episode from Haruhi Suzumiya.

Linda's sister first name is Kotono.

Linda says "I'm one hell of a older sister!"which is a reference to Black Butler.

Midori provides Linda's voice when speaking Japanese.

Comment posted by Jigoku Luna deleted Apr 4th, 2014

Canterlot Deportation Agency

Written by Tinsel Towne, Green Screen
Directed by Big Screen

Starring
Blockbuster as Agent Border Patrol
Jennifer Tilse as Agent Janice Bree
Samuel Allston as Agent Barbed Wire
Anderson Gallway as Kyle Jacoby
Sean Siseke as Fiona "Fifi" Alphinaq
Laugh Track as Shining Gem

This 2033 comedy film is a slice-of-life story that chronicles how Agent Bree and Agent Patrol of the Canterlot Deportation Agency keep Equestria safe from interlopers. The interlopers? Humans, of course.

Most of the film revolves comedic hijinks involving the agents and the eponymous agency. The set, costuming and scene design is very well done. And the acting...well, I'll let the detailed analysis below speak for itself.

Jennifer Tilse does a great job at portraying Agent Janice Bree as stiff, no-nonsense Human CDA agent who often comes in conflict with her more laid-back coworker, Agent Border Patrol. The swagger in her movement and permanent scowl really sell the character's personality.

Blockbuster's portrayal of Agent Patrol is kind of iffy to me. His lackdasical attitude and near constant drunkeness strikes me as rather unprofessional for a professional law enforcement officer and it really strains my suspension of disbelief as to how he wasn't fired for gross incompetence. But at the same time, he provides the bulk of the comedy.

Veteran Equestriani cop-show actor Samuel Allston plays Agent Barbed Wire. I am not exactly sure what comedy is to be found in a foul-mouthed speciesist who can't seem to go one line without spouting off at least one curse word or speciesist slur. Or who can't seem to go longer than a few minutes without beating up some Human interloper. Maybe this kind of lowbrow comedy appeals to some, but to me it wrecks the story.

Anderson Gallway plays Kyle Jacoby, a bumbling, obese, US Army infantryman who wants to conquer Equestria in the name of Humanity. I admit, seeing a man most famous for playing hardened military characters (as well as a real-life US Army veteran) play an incompetent soldier is hilarious. At same time, Gallway is quite obviously trying hard to avoid corpsing and sometimes he fails.

And now to possibly the two most controversial characters. Sean Siseke plays Fiona "Fifi" Alphinaq, a tough female Human kept as a pet for the incredibly spoiled, immature and airheaded Unicorn mare Shining Gem (Laugh Track). I admit, seeing Shining Gem fawning over Fiona and playing dress-up with the latter having a sour expression is hilarious. And don't get me started on the housetraining scenes!

And I admit that I laughed when a CDA agent cites Shining Gem for owning a vicious animal (Fiona) after the mare ends up getting a public spanking from her "pet". The scene is supposed to be played for comedy – and it's genuinely funny – but I felt really unclean watching it. The scene features a full-grown mare clad in a diaper and sundress that's more appropriate for a very young filly being spanked by her "pet". Were close-up shots of Shining Gem's diapered rump really necessary during that scene? Not to mention Fiona calling Shining Gem a "naughty little filly" during the spanking.

While the acting is pure gold, the comedy is less so. While some of the comedy is actually funny, the vast majority is lowbrow physical comedy that plays police brutality for laughs. And not to mention, the rampant use of speciesist slurs and profanity isn't really funny and it loses its shock value after, say, the fifth time. And don't get me started on Shining Gem and her "pet". The two most stereotypical and flat characters ever. Shining Gem is the stereotypical "immature Unicorn airhead" who throws tantrums, sucks her hoof and otherwise acts like a little filly instead of a full-grown mare. On the other hoof, Fiona Alphinaq is a comically masculine and at times, borderline sadistic, Human female (she's even played by a man!) that seems to draw cues from early (and wrong) assumptions of what Humans are like.

Four out of ten stars. Excellent acting, great costumes and dazzling set design can't save this comedy from its overuse of lowbrow physical comedy and profanity. And the scenes with Shining Gem and Fiona, ugh. Honestly, what were Tinsel Towne and Green Screen thinking when they included those scenes!? Seriously, they are blatant – and frequently disturbing – attempts to appeal to the fetishists. Furthermore, Shining Gem's a walking stereotype as I mentioned before. And the Human characters are just as bad. They're stereotypes condensed into character form; all of them are incompetent, idiotic, speciesist, illiterate, cruel, sex-crazed and often needlessly violent – save for the ones under Equestriani control. If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn this was a Purehooves propaganda film.

Trivia

Shining Gem's original character was as an immensely speciesist aristocrat. It was Laugh Track who proposed turning her into an immature mare-foal.

To get into her role as Shining Gem, Laugh Track actually wore Shining Gem's foalish clothing – including the diaper – through the entire movie production even when she wasn't shooting.

According to Tinsel Towne, Shining Gem behaves like a foal all the time but is yet mature enough to live on her own.

The liquor that Agent Border Patrol is frequently shown to be drinking is real liquor.

A "sanitized" cut of this film exists that removes the numerous slurs thrown about and replaces them with garden variety English and Equestriani profanity.

Fiona Alphinaq is Sean Siseke's most iconic role. It is however, his most hated.

Soren Almaya was originally offered the role of Kyle Jacoby but he turned it down citing "I'm not going to play a role that insults our men, women, stallions and mares in uniform."

Green Leafe auditioned to play Shining Gem but she lost out to Laugh Track.

Jennifer Tilse based her performance as Agent Janice Bree on her earlier role as 2nd Lieutenant Gerrianna Reed from Heroes and Allies.

The book that Agent Barbed Wire is constantly reading is Tom Clancy's Red October.

Fiona Alphinaq's collar is actually a Petsmart brand large dog collar. The license tag attached to the collar reads:

Sean Siseke
Culeston, Oregon

Anticipation is an 2031 Equestriani comedic drama film directed by Big Screen and written by Funny Bones. The film stars Funny Bones, Mark Strong, Reel Action, and Voice Change with an cameo by Marion Henriksen. It centers around two best friends played by Funny Bones and Mark Strong as they travel around Equestria getting into strangely ridiculous predicaments. Despite it being a road trip movie and the simple plot, it manages to have a lot of heart and be funny when it needs to be.

The acting is solid across the broad with relate-able characters and some witty writing from Funny Bones. I love the fact that Mark Strong and Funny Bones make quite a pair in the movie and hope to see these two in more movies together. It's also nice to see Mark finally make a name for himself after the past movies he's been in.

Voice Change manages to give a good performance, coming from a voice acting profession, and hope she changes her mind in doing more non voice acting roles. Then again she did say that she will not do them often and wants to focus more on her voice acting roles. It's just funny to see her character trying to keep her brother and friend in line throughout the film.

Reel Action, on the other hand, was the least funniest of the cast yet she makes up for it with her acting and the way she's written. It seems that she works better in dramatic films which I'm sure Funny Boone used when he wrote Real Action's character. I haven't seen much Equestriani films so I wasn't sure if she would be a good actress or not.

What surprised me the most about the film was Marion Henriksen's appearance during Mark's character flashback scene. The scene itself is very funny and you can see she she's not rusty when it comes to acting. The best part about it is that she improvise the whole scene giving her role more character. It's been four years since she took a leave of absence to work as a writer so It's nice to see her back in the acting scene.

You can tell the movie didn't have much of a budget which can explain why Funny Bones made the story simple. That however doesn't stop the movie from being funny and you'll enjoy every scene including the flashback scene. The director does a great job at giving us some nice location shots and even allowed most of his cast to improvise. His directing shows that he can make a good movie with little money.

10 out of 10.

Trivia

Funny Bones wanted Marion Henriksen to star in the whole movie. She on the other hand was working on Above the Darkness and could only do a cameo.

BlueBastard
Group Admin

Lookin' good so far!

3217644 Thanks, I reedited my first post with the edited version of The Long Road to Nowhere. :twilightsmile:

Littlest Unicorn: Tokyo Life

Written by Amanda Rose, Midori Kenchi

Starring
Charlotte Hendriksen as Mrs. Blossom
Green Leafe as Linda
Midori Kenchi as Linda (Japanese lines)

With the additional voice talents of:
Elizabeth Edward
Voice Change
Funny Bones
Amanda Rose
Markl Strong
Marion Henriksen
Han Henriksen
Sherri Rose
John Rose
Lena Rose
Midnight Moondust

This 2037 animated movie is based off the wildly successful and popular children's animated show The Littlest Unicorn. All the main characters appear in the movie and the series's all-star voice talent returns for this feature length film. This film is directed by Midori Kenchi, better known for her science-fiction hits Starworks and Claude & Monet.

I'll admit, I didn't think a slice-of-life TV series would really be suitable material for a film, but I was pleasantly proven wrong. The plot is deceptively simple: Mrs. Blossom takes her class to a field trip in Japan. But yet, Amanda Rose and Midori Kenchi take a plot could have been perfectly done in a half-hour TV episode and expand it into a feature length film. Granted, I find it a bit bizarre that Mrs. Blossom, who is little more than a filly herself, became a high school teacher, but since this film is not supposed to be serious, I'll overlook that.

The animation is fluid and smooth with astoundingly realistic and well-researched backgrounds. The voice acting is very good with accents done flawlessly. But more importantly, the voice actors put their passion into the voices. And the soundtrack is nothing short of gorgeous.Traditional Japanese music, j-pop, hammering electronic beats and everything in between, there is something for everyone.

Nine out of ten stars. Even without prior knowledge of the series it originated from, this is still an enjoyable family film that adults and children of all species will love. Witty dialogue, likeable characters, excellent writing all combine with a dazzling soundtrack and great voice acting to make a movie that is well worth your time. My only problem was that there were a few places where the lip syncing was off whenever Linda speaks Japanese. This wouldn't be a problem, except that the camera seems to focus on her face during these scenes, making it hard to not notice the fault.

Trivia

The theater that Mrs. Blossom passes is playing Above the Darkness (Under its Japanese title), Claude & Monet and Starworks (also directed by Midori Kenchi).

Linda's last name revealed to be Arakawa.

In the beginning of the movie, Mrs. Blossom is shown holding a copy of The Odyssey and Faust.

After Linda and her band finish their concert, the people that came to see it start clapping and say, "congratulations" in Japanese. The two songs we do see use fame by fame recreations of the scene in "Live Alive" episode from Haruhi Suzumiya.

The first name of Linda's sister is Kotono.

Linda says "I'm one hell of a older sister!"which is a reference to Black Butler.

Midori provides Linda's voice when speaking Japanese.

The café that the group frequents is named "Starworks", after Midori's hit cyberpunk thriller.

Needful Things is an 2038 adaptation of Stephen King's 1991 novel of the same name. The film was directed by Jonathan Price, best known as the director of Arddun Lleuad and written by Marion Henriksen. It stars Marion Henriksen, Soren Almaya, Charlotte Hendriksen, Elizabeth Edward with cameos by Maria Gomèz and Jennifer Tilse.

Carrie Gaunt [Marion Henriksen] is the newest member of Castle Rock, Maine, and opening a new shop named Needful Things in the small town. A shop where you can get anything you want until chaos slowly weeps over the peaceful town causing people to turn on each other. Sherif Alan Pangborn [Soren Almaya] investigates the situation that leads him to the store and it's owner. Who is this woman?

The main problem with this movie is that clocks over 85 minutes when the original cut was longer then this after I saw a screening of it. I can't really blame the director as he was forced to cut a lot of footage due to the people producing the movie thinking that people wouldn't see a movie that's over 6 hours long. I can understand if the movie was boring or the characters were bland as hell, yet none of that was in the extended version. A good example of this is the opening minutes of the film open with us getting to know the townspeople.

The theatrical version opens with Sherif Pangborn and his duties in the town before Marion's character shows up in the next scene. That aside, the movie is still great and everyone give out a solid performance, most noticeable is Marion Henriksen who's always great in anything she's in be it good or evil.

The changes that were made in the movie were minor with the major one being Carrie Gaunt. I didn't mind that as Marion was a good choice in playing the antagonist of the film. Speaking of the name, I thought it was a nice touch to name her after the girl from another Stephen King book. The directing from Jonathan Price is good and manages to deliver tension.

I'll give this movie an eight out of ten. The theatrical version suffers from lack of character development of the townspeople and leaves out some plot points and twists. You better off watching the extended version when it comes out for download.

Trivia

For its release in Germany the film's title was changed to "In A Small Town" and "The Shop of Evil Desires" for the Japanese release.

Marion Henriksen reprises her role for the German dub.

The extended version was released in theaters in Equestria, Japan, Mexico and Germany.

Reel Action backed out from the movie because a real life friend of hers was killed in an accident shortly before filming started. The role went to Elizabeth Edward.

The movie ends with a s new shop named "Answered Prayers" is about to open in Junction City, Iowa with Maria Gomèz and Jennifer Tilse being the first to enter the shop - an implication that Gaunt is ready to begin her business cycle all over again.

Starworks

Based off the book by Tai Tsang
Written by Tai Tsang, Midori Kenchi

Starring
Green Leafe as Mega Byte
Voice Change (voice) as UNICRN-45
Soren Almaya as Erik "Hacksaw" Halsey
Samuel Zheng as Bowen "Binary" Li
Charlotte Henriksen as Digital Signal
Thorn as Fafnir
Aimee Lenrow as Amanda "Crazy Blades" Jensen
James Liu as Ruozheng Zhao
Hans Henriksen as Harold Lysander
Hotshot as Earthen Power
First Take as Dark Light
Jennifer Tilse as Samantha Sharpe
Heavy Tread as Silent Strike

Starworks is Midori Kenchi's 2035 hit cyberpunk thriller, based off Tai Tsang's 2031 book of the same name.

The plot is pretty much lifted from the book and faithfully adapted to film. It's about a ragtag group of heroes who have to try and stop a group of Luddites from setting off an EMP in Neo Canterlot as a prelude to a massacre of the city's cybernetically modified inhabitants.

Right from the start, you know this is going to be a thrilling ride as the movie opens up with a high-octane hoverbike chase between the main character — a tough-as-nails corporate mercenary named Erik "Hacksaw" Halsey — and two Pegasi criminals.

During this chase, we are treated to absolutely gorgeous scenes of Neo Canterlot's high-tech skyline of black, neon soaked monoliths interspersed with the rougher side of Neo Canterlot: drug deals, prostitution, homelessness and outright street violence. This "high tech, low life" contrast immediately sets up the movie as cyberpunk.

After the chase, we are treated to a slower nightclub scene where we meet the other protagonists: Mega Byte, Bowen "Binary" Li and Fafnir. Again, absolutely gorgeous set design makes the nightclub and its patrons come alive. In stark contrast to the novel, Mega Byte is teetotaler. In all honesty, this wasn't that great of a move because a key part of the character is her severe drug addiction and her struggles against it.

It is then that we actually see Dark Light deliver the ultimatium of the radical anti-technology group Golden Dawn via a hijacked television signal: ban all cybernetics and enhancement technology or the city will become a warzone. First Take truly lives up to her name; she truly brings the evil Unicorn's mix of smug superiority mixed with total amorality to life on the big screen. My only gripe is that Dark Light was a dull grey Earth Pony in the book. Here, for seemingly no reason at all, she's depicted as a pure white and gold Unicorn. Still, that's a minor issue.

The final battle atop the government headquarters of Neo Canterlot is an amazing visual and acting tour de force. Midori abandons the action movie cliche "hero vs. villain one-on-one fight" in favor of a mass battle scene reminiscent of the fantasy genre. Despite the driving rain, harsh industrial rock soundtrack, neon soaked background and numerous characters, the scene does not feel cluttered at all. On the contrary, it's the crowning moment of the film where all the characters get to showcase their fighting capabilities and battle for the future of Neo Canterlot.

Eight out of ten stars. The atmosphere and setting is outstandingly well-developed thanks to the absolutely gorgeous scenery and costuming. The plot is intricate and well-developed but most importantly, it is faithful to the book. The acting is solid as a rock. And Voice Change proves herself to be one of the best voice actors in the business in her role as Digital Signal's AI assistant, UNICRN-45. Her voice is warm with emotional feeling to it but at the same time, there's this distinct electronic undertone to it.

As for the characters, Midori made some good choices, a few bad choices and some choices that frankly put, are pointless. For instance, I definitely applaud her choice of Charlotte Henriksen as Digital Signal — even if Digital Signal's a Unicorn and Charlotte had to wear a fake horn to properly play her. As for bad choices, like I said, this Mega Byte and the one from the novel might as well be two separate characters.

And the action scenes! Wow! Starworks combines dazzling John Woo-styled gunslinging with high-flying wuxia martial arts and throws in some crude Hollywood-styled street brawling and street shootouts. Soren Almaya's gritty fight scenes — owing to his background as a competitive shooter and previous training in US Army combatives — are a delightful contrast to Aimee Lenrow's Wushu-inspired fight scenes. Thorn and Heavy Tread also get their share of fight scenes. And you can tell that they're both experienced actors with their fluid movements and expressions.

My only complaint is the utter lack of variety in the soundtrack. I mean, every action scene is backed by hammering industrial rock, scorching techno, rough-and-tumble breakbeat or raw dubstep. All the ambient music is electronic ambient or soft trance. In the nearly two-and-a-half hour film, not a single piece of non-electronic music is heard. I can't call the music bad, but hearing all of one genre of music does get a bit boring. A more serious problem is Midori insists on using electronic music even in scenes where it just doesn't work. The otherwise well-done romantic scenes are utterly ruined by this stylistic choice. Seeing Mega Byte and "Hacksaw" Halsey cuddling to music that wouldn't be out of place in a nightclub is frankly put, unintentionally hilarious.

Trivia

Aimee Lenrow opted to use her own prosthetic limbs in this movie.

The exoskeletons that appear in the movie are fully functional HAL-7 exoskeletons made by Cyberdyne of Japan that have been decorated with additional parts.

Much of the filming was done in on location in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Canterlot, Shanghai and Manehattan.

Tai Tsang has a cameo appearance as one of the bystanders involved in the nightclub brawl.

The nightclub scenes were filmed in an abandoned building in Hong Kong. After filming, the locals turned the set into De Karde, a popular cyberpunk themed nightclub.

Juno Reactor composed the music used in the nightclub brawl specifically for the movie. It's available as the single "Sawtooth Wave".

Soren Almaya, Aimee Lenrow and Thorn did their own stunts and fight scenes.

A mishap during a fight scene resulted in Soren Almaya breaking an extra's jaw with his elbow.

Midori Kenchi voices UNICRN-45 in the Japanese dub.

A version for home release replaces the electronic music in the love scenes with more fitting instrumental and soft jazz.

Voice Change based UNICRN-45's voice on the voice of the Savant computers from the 1996 video game Outpost 2.

Dread is a survival horror video game published by SEGA and developed by Railgun Games, a Railgun Development Ltd group. The game is a collaboration between Midori Kenchi and Pen Ink with Charlotte Henriksen as the antagonist. The plot is about a mare [Voiced by Action Reel] in search of her lost filly and uncovering the truth of the disappearances of other colts and fillies.

I wanted Midori to make a a full length horror game after playing Sweet Dreams and finally got my wish with this game. It took everyone by surprise when Midori announced last year that she was working on a horror game with the help of Equestriani Horror Writer Pen Ink. The question is does her first attempt at the survival horror genre live up to my expectations?

To answer that question I would have to start with the game play before I start anything else. The main game play of involves controlling a player character from a third-person perspective. One of the core elements emphasis on stealth as most of the monsters are unkillable. This also applies to the ones that can be kill as they can swarm you all at once not giving you a chance to fight back. To get around this is to find an hiding place when the monster does it's dying scream.

Exploration and puzzle-solving are other aspects that the game has with one level being in the first person view. I have to say that the game is atmospheric and I love the fact that it doesn't relay to much on jump scares with only happening when you least expect it. The atmospheric tone is great and the monsters are creepy as hell and unsettling to look at.

There are a few glitches that I noticed when playing that while not game breaking can ruin the horror. A good example is there a part where a monster gets stuck in-between the buildings.

I wouldn't go over to much on the story from what I started at the beginning to not give you spoilers for the rest of the story. The one thing I didn't see coming was Charlotte Henriksen playing the villain role as she never played such a role before. She nailed the role and from what Midori said in an interview that all her lines were ad-libbed including the song she sings at the end. Action Reel holds her own in her first role in a video game and playing a main character for the first time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24