FlutterBulk 126 members · 14 stories
Comments ( 40 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 40
Pump It Up
Group Admin

Do you wanna do a prompt collab~

If so, here are the rules!

Someone starts off by posting a 100-500 word flash fiction about Fluttershy and Bulk "Snowflake" Biceps based off of the prompt at the end of this post. At the end of the story written will be a one word prompt. If you would like to write a 100-500 word flash fiction relating to that prompt, comment right away to claim it. You will have a 24-hour claim on that prompt. Post the story when you finish in the comments, being sure to reply to one of my comments and the person whose prompt you used, and add a one word prompt at the end for the next people to claim.

A few clarifications:
* The flash fiction can be in any style, just as long as it's FlutterBulk in some way.

*Flash fictions must be a teen rating at most. Any mature stories will not be used; therefore, I recommend you do not submit them to this thread.

* Claim prompts with a quick post responding to the last post. Just the word "claimed" is fine. When you finish, make a post with the flash fiction and the next prompt.

* Your claim is valid for twenty-four hours, to keep someone from accidentally holding things up all day. After that time, another person could post a claim for the same prompt. If you ran out of time, and no one else has claimed it, and you still want to write it, just go ahead and reclaim it.

* In the event that people become confused, and two fics are posted for the same prompt, the first one posted contains the official next prompt. However, I may post the second story later on in the anthology.

* Please include a one word prompt at the end of your fic. There are lots of words, and they can mean lots of things, and it's up to the next writer what they want to do with it.

* Please press the reply button on both the person whose prompt you're using and one of my comments so I get notified.

(List literally copy-pasted from the Protect Celestia Prompt Collab.)

I'll make the first prompt. Once there are five flash fictions or 1000 words (whichever is first), I'll post an anthology. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Let's begin!
Light

(Oh, and does anyone have a good title for the anthology? I'm thinking something with "Flutter/Fluttering" or "Butterflies.")

EDIT: Teeeechnically speaking, you lose the claim to the prompt after 24h, but due to how dead this place is right now, if somebody claims it, they have 5 days. Or longer, unless I crack down on it. Which I won't right now.

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Contributor
Bluegrass Brooke
Group Contributor

3730567 Done! And for the title for the anthology, I've got an idea. Maybe "Of Butterflies and Biceps" or something like that.

Early morning cloud duty was the job every pegasus dreaded. Sure, it was simple enough, but nopony wanted to get up before Celestia raised the sun. Bulk was far from a weather pony, in fact he was probably the opposite of one. With his small wings and lack of areal measurability, his cloud kicking abilities were sub par.

But, when Rainbow Dash knocks on your door at eight in the evening begging for some help moving clouds, it is rather difficult to say no. Now he stood in the frosty air, warming his muscles with some basic stretches. A quick glance around at the empty town square revealed nopony but himself. Rainbow had promised that another pony would be there to help. So where were they?

Just on cue, a small figure flew over, landing softly beside him. The mare's long lilac mane was disheveled, covering her eyes. "Sorry, but the animals were oh so demanding."

Bulk raised a yellow hoof and gently brushed her forelock away. The mare's worried expression made him chuckle. "It's okay, Fluttershy. Glad you made it."

"Me too." Despite the early morning chill, Fluttershy's face felt incredibly warm. "So, uh, should we get started?"

"Uh, yeah!" Then, realizing everypony was asleep, Bulk lowered his voice to conversation tone, "Yeah."

The two pegasi took to the air and set to work. Unfortunately, the weather ponies that night had not cleared half the clouds they should have. So they had to kick and punch away a literal blanket of clouds over Ponyville by themselves.

Before long, Bulk's muscular frame was lathered in sweat. At least he was getting his morning workout early. Turning to Fluttershy, he noticed the mare gasping for breath on the nearest cloud. He flew over to her. "You okay?"

Her weak smile was less than convincing. "Uh huh. Just…need…a little rest."

"Okay." Bulk glanced around at the remaining clouds. There really were not that many left. "I'll finish up, you rest."

"But-"

Bulk gave an extra cheesy grin, "-don't worry about it." As quickly as his sore wings could manage, he took to the sky. Thankfully, it did not take long to clear up the remaining stragglers. Hoof pumping the air, he flew back to Fluttershy. "All done."

Fluttershy smiled sweetly, glancing around at the now beautifully clear sky. In the distance, peeking above the horizon was the sun. A warm, orange light bathed the town below. "Pretty."

"Yeah!" Though they were done with work, Bulk felt little desire to move. Sitting on the cloud, feeling her warm breath mingling with his was magic. The sunrise was beautiful, but it paled in comparison to the shy mare by his side.

Next prompt? Dream

Pump It Up
Group Admin

3730823 That was fast.

D'aww! :rainbowkiss: Added to the anthology. Also, at the moment, the title you gave me is the one I'm using.

Claimed (though probably holding things up a smidge; have work tomorrow.)

Oh right... uhm claimed! (With names!)

Pump It Up
Group Admin

You didn't necessarily have to reply to my comment yet, just when you've written the story.

Went a little bit darker this time, but hopefully my challenge word won't lead to that being a continued theme.

(I can't help it! I don't think I HAVE a happy Fluttershy muse! :fluttershbad: )

Dreams were cruel, hateful, wonderful things. Fragile, beautiful, and ephemeral, existing only so that they could be crushed and destroyed.

Fluttershy’s heart had been ripped out a hundred, a thousand times in the course of her work. It was a fundamental law; sometimes something you nurtured, cared for, loved with all your heart just wasn’t meant to be. And the more love you poured into it, the more you felt your soul shred as you watched it slipping away.

Dreams were like that, she thought. Adorable baby kittens and bunnies, runts of the litter, the delicate, fragile flowers you hoped and prayed would survive and thrive, proving to the world that it doesn’t matter how big and strong you are, you just needed the courage to try.

But almost every time, one day you’d come down in the morning, and find a cold, stiff reminder that nature has no sympathy for small, weak, timid mistakes.

As a small, weak, timid thing herself, Fluttershy had taken that lesson to heart from a young age. Everypony had dreams; it was a natural part of life that was inescapable. But dreams were meant to die, and if you didn't understand that, they'd take you with them.

Bulk had never had to learn that lesson. He was about as far from small, weak, and timid as imaginable. He'd made his dreams come true through sheer force of will and muscle. He went from being a pegasus who'd never fly to medaling in the Equestrian Games, to being the first Wonderbolt to specialize in feats of mid-air strength. From being sweet and shy, to proposing to her two years before. He hadn't lost pets and cuddly friends. He hadn’t spent nights up late, nursing a patient that he knew deep down was already gone. He hadn't had to hold parents who'd....

And, for just a little while, he'd made Fluttershy believe that dreams were worthwhile. That when they did come true, it was so wonderful that it was worth the pain when they didn't.

But he'd learned. Oh how they'd both learned, even beyond Fluttershy's worst cases. All their dreams and hopes, destroyed with a single word.

Colic.

So many sleepless nights; no dreams for either them then, but instead they were living a nightmare. Neither of them could do a thing, except camp out in their little Cherub Heart's room and pray for a miracle, for the tiny, helpless coughs to finally stop.

And then... then they had.

Now, they were both watching their dreams being lowered into the earth in a tiny black box.

Fluttershy looked forward stoically, wrapping a tender yellow wing around her blubbering, sobbing husband and drawing him in close.

Dreams were cruel, hateful, wonderful things. But the worst thing in the world was waking to find them gone.

Challenge Word:
Spaghetti!

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Contributor

3733447 :fluttercry::fluttercry: So sad. But amazingly well written. You've a way with words. I'm going to go cry now. :pinkiesad2:

Thank you. For what it's worth, I was crying to? :fluttercry:

But I grew up raising animals (mostly guinea pigs). I know that "but it's not FAIR!" feeling way, way too well.

Pump It Up
Group Admin

... :fluttercry: Off to add the sad tag.

Challenge Word:
Spaghetti!

Wat.

Story added.

If we can't get somebody to do something adorable with spaghetti, I'll pick a different challenge word. :-P But after what I put them through, I really needed to give something that'd be nicer.

Pump It Up
Group Admin

"Spaghetti" is fine. If nobody else does anything with it, I can go ahead and write something.

...I think I broke it. :fluttersad:

Ok, it ended up being really long. If this doesn't fit with the collection, I'll probably clean it up and publish it as a standalone.

Bulk Biceps was not a chef, by any stretch of the imagination. He was very good at making wheatgrass shakes, cereal, and he was very good at making toast; but that was about where his culinary skills ended.
So thus it was that he was reading a foal's cookbook that had come from some book fair that had visited his little brother's school. Even so, some of these recipes seemed quite difficult. Things like tbsp and fl oz and other words that didn't make sense littered the page. Clearly, the instructions to 'ask an adult for help before starting' were flawed, as he was an adult and felt out of his league.
His nervousness didn't help, either. Fluttershy was coming over tonight, and it needed to be perfect. Literally perfect.
He had just about resigned himself to ordering takeout instead when he heard a small hoof scuff behind him. Featherweight stood there, head cocked curiously. He'd probably been standing there a while before making the noise.
Bulk Biceps grinned sheepishly and tried to hide the book behind his body, but Featherweight had already seen. Featherweight squinted curiously, and then his eyes widened in understanding. He raised a hoof and drew the outline of Fluttershy's mane, looking questioningly at Bulk.
“Yeah,” Bulk Biceps said, with just the tiniest bit of a blush.
Featherweight's mouth curled up evilly, and he couldn't prevent a hoof from twitching towards where his camera would sit on his neck.
“No,” Bulk Biceps said firmly.
Featherweight didn't flinch.
Bulk exhaled, defeated. Featherweight had him by the ears. Even if he did tie him to the bed with one of his barbells on his chest to trap him (something he hadn't done to his brother in years), Featherweight would get out. At times Bulk could swear his cutie mark was for getting into places he wasn't supposed to go.
Sighing, he withdrew a five bit piece and held it out in offering.
Featherweight glanced down and then looked back up, managing to look offended without even changing his expression.
Bulk glared, but Featherweight stood firm. Grumbling under his breath, he pulled out his last five bit piece, and Featherweight snatched them both from his hoof.
Satisfied that his evening with Fluttershy would be uninterrupted, he turned back towards the book on the counter… and nearly flattened Featherweight, who now stood behind him.
Completely oblivious to the fact that he had almost gotten crushed under his much larger sibling, Featherweight reached for the cookbook and flipped through its pages. He soon found what he was looking for, and slid it over. Bulk Biceps peered over his little shoulder and read.
Simple Spaghetti with Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread
Simple and easy were good words, and with a grateful (if mildly begrudging) nod to his little brother, he began assembling the ingredients. Featherweight grinned and happily trotted off.

Bulk Biceps had finished the bread and had just about measured out three cups of water when he was suddenly surprised by the sound of hacking and coughing. He spun around, barely managing to not spill any of the water, and saw Featherweight, choking on the ground. A stolen garlic breadstick with a bite out of it lay on the floor.
Seeing as how Featherweight wasn't in any mortal danger, Bulk spared a chuckle; which quickly dissolved into silent horror. That could have been Fluttershy choking on his garlic bread, and that would have ruined everything.
Featherweight grabbed the measuring cup of water from Bulk's hooves and chugged it. Then he tossed it down, scowled at his brother, and spread out his hooves, wordlessly demanding an explanation.
Bulk pointed at the cookbook, claiming plausible deniability.
Featherweight scowled. Shaking his head in exasperation, he trotted over to the counter and scanned the ingredient list, and he soon found the culprit. He picked up the large spoon still caked with garlic powder and held it out.
Bulk nodded. It had said sprinkle heaping spoonfuls on top of the bread.
Featherweight facehoofed. He tossed the spoon into the sink, trudged over to the cutlery drawer, opened it, and held out a teaspoon.
Bulk frowned. If they'd wanted a teaspoon, why didn't they just say-?
Oh.
Tsp. Teaspoon. Like Tshirt, but not.
Scowling right back, Bulk Biceps snatched the spoon out of his brother's hooves and returned to the counter. Satisfied, Featherweight turned to trot away… only to be stopped by his brother grabbing hold of his tail with his teeth and dragging him back. Bulk placed a hoof firmly on Featherweight's chest, pressing him against the counter. With a curt nod, he let him know that that was right where he was staying.
Featherweight grimaced as he realized that he had just 'volunteered' as resident taste tester.

Finally, with a generous dash of feta cheese atop the salad, Featherweight was satisfied. He turned to Bulk Biceps and nodded, pronouncing it good.
“Yeah!” Bulk said, pleased with how this had all turned out. He held out a hoof for bumping, and Featherweight returned it.
Then both froze as there came a quiet knock on the door.
Bulk Biceps sprang into action, bumping Featherweight with his head and quite literally pushing him outside through the back door (which had been left open after a particularly bad batch of bread). Then he slammed the door, sprinted back, and opened the front door.
There she was.
Fluttershy.
“Am I too early?” She scuffed a hoof on the ground nervously. “I didn't mean to be if I am…”
Bulk chuckled and shook his head. He would never not be happy to see Fluttershy, early or late. He turned and, with a head gesture, invited her inside.
As she passed him, he suddenly became keenly aware that he still smelled like sweat and kitchen accidents. He froze. Fluttershy didn't seem to mind (or if she did, she hid it well), but he was still nervous.
And he couldn't be nervous for tonight.

One of the things he liked best about Fluttershy was the fact that she let him be him. She didn't require deep conversation or anything; she was perfectly content to eat in silence, their only communication being glances, smiles, playful winks, and slight blushing when eye contact was held for too long.
But as their dinner continued, Bulk began to worry. Did she like the food? Did she want anything else? He needed this to be perfect.
Fluttershy, always observant, noticed his discomfort, and set down her fork. “Are you all right?” she asked.
“Y- yeah,” Bulk lied.
Fluttershy slid her chair back. “A-are you sure? Because I can come back another night if-”
“No!” She couldn't leave yet! Bulk Biceps rushed over and placed his hooves on her shoulders, pushing her gently but firmly back down on the chair.
Fluttershy paused. Her eyes flicked over to his hooves, then back up at him. “Bulk Biceps, what's going on?” she asked, confusion (and a hint of trepidation) in her voice.
Bulk realized that that might have been too rough. He quickly released his hooves and then, after a brief inner struggle, knew it was time to just buck up and do it.
He closed his eyes, bowed his head, and pulled from under a wing one of his primary feathers. This was not just any feather; it had been fashioned into a necklace, using a hoof-woven material. Aside from the feather which hung from the necklace, other important items were hung. Two tiny silver charms also hung, one fashioned into a tiny butterfly glistening with tiny gems on one side, and the other small dumbbell on the opposite side.
In other words, the perfect item for asking Fluttershy to marry him.
His head was bowed as he held out the offering, as was pegasus tradition, so he couldn't see her reaction.
He could, however, hear a gasp.
And, after what felt like an agonizingly long moment, he felt himself rolling backwards as Fluttershy tackled him into a tight hug and rubbed their noses together.

Bulk Biceps quite literally skipped inside the house. Walking Fluttershy home had been great enough; she walked with her flank pressed up against his and even brushed her wing up against his cutie mark once or twice along the way when she thought no one else was watching.
But when they'd gotten to her house, she had kissed him on the lips and had even spread her wings for him.
Of course, he only got one good caress in before her shyness overcame her and she squeaked and blushed furiously and clamped her wings against her sides and hid under her mane; but she had clearly enjoyed it while it had lasted.
And judging from how she had looked both ways before whispering that he should come over tomorrow for tea, just the two of them, he would soon get that chance again.
He opened the door to his bedroom and paused. There on his pillow was a large Manila envelope.
Strange, he mused. Mail usually came in the morning.
Still, he was curious, and slid it open and dumped the contents out.
A picture fluttered to the bed. He picked it up and gasped.
It was a picture of Fluttershy, at their table, captured clasping her hooves to her mouth at the exact moment Bulk had held out his offering. Her eyes were wide and glistening with happy tears. He had never seen her so happy. This was a moment he wished he could have seen, and a picture he would definitely treasure.
He looked down and saw his two five bit pieces on the blanket as well. Bulk Biceps couldn't help but chuckle. Oh, Featherweight… He was a good kid, and Bulk mentally promised to take him out for ice cream next week after his next paycheck.
His expression soured somewhat as he noticed another thing that had fallen out of the envelope and was now sitting cheekily face up on the bed.
A safe sex pamphlet, also from that book fair. Featherweight must have swiped it when no one was looking.
Bulk Biceps scowled, crinkled it up, and tossed it at his trash can. He could almost swear he could hear his brother, laughing his feathers off from somewhere else in the house. Well, the joke was on him; he was going to get one doozy of a noogie tomorrow, right when he least expected it.
Bulk's frown softened slightly. Well, maybe. But he'd definitely get the ice cream.

New prompt: rain

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Y'know, it might have helped if you had responded to a comment, that way I would know that you did something and it wouldn't be sitting around for six whole months. As it is, you did a great job, and it does fit within the confines of teen or below, but your story deserves to be a standalone just because it is long enough. I think my only question is is Featherweight mute or something? Because nobody really talked for the first two sections.

Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you want it as part of the collab story. The prompt that you provided will still be used, though. I have a backup story because I also wrote for the spaghetti prompt, thinking that no one had claimed it since I hadn't got any "so and so replied to your comment."

(Sorry if any of that sounds pretentious. In retrospect to me, it kinda seems that way, but I don't know.)

I'd nearly forgotten about this... :derpyderp2:
Yeah. He doesn't say anything in the episode he was in, and I've thought it would be fun if he didn't say anything. Of course, now that's Vinyl's thing; but still.
What if I post mine as a stand-alone, you posted yours in the collab, and then linked mine in the author's note or a comment or something? We can keep both prompts, try and drum up a little more action around here. :raritywink:

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Sounds good to me! :pinkiehappy:

Pump It Up
Group Admin

My version of Spaghetti:

Fluttershy could hear the doorbell ring inside Bulk Bicep’s house as soon as she pressed it. She looked around nervously. The sun was on its way down, casting long shadows across the grass. Fluttershy’s own shadow cowered against the house.

The door slowly opened. The pegasus squeaked and jumped into a nearby bush, shaking the entire thing.

“Fluttershy?” Bulk Biceps looked around from the doorway for his date and spotted the rattling shrubbery. “Fluttershy, it’s just me!”

Fluttershy poked her head out of the bushes. “Oh, um, hi.” She could feel her cheeks grow warm. “I-I’m here?”

Bulk was going to chuckle, but decided against it, instead giving a smile that couldn’t quite decide what it wanted to be. “Why don’t you come in?!” he yelled nervously. Fluttershy shrank into the bushes, her eyes wide. “Oh, sorry. Um, won’t you come in?”

“Th-thank you.” Fluttershy shuffled into his house, taking one last glance behind her.

The first thing she noticed in the house was how pristine it was. Everything was in its place: no unidentifiable splotches on the walls, no unidentifiable smells, no messes anywhere.

The second thing she noticed was the heavenly smell. She sniffed the air. “What’s that smell?”

"That's the tofuballs you're smelling," Bulk said. Then he yelled, "And I think the spaghetti might be done!" He heard Fluttershy's wings flare in surprise. "Oh, sorry."

"It's okay," Fluttershy said.

She followed him into the kitchen and watched as he drained the water from the pasta through the strainer and down the sink. When he set down the pot on the counter, Fluttershy decided that she was going to help...somehow. She racked her brain for something to do, then remembered something Rainbow Dash had said about pasta.

So she picked up a few strands of spaghetti and threw them at the wall.

The splat of noodles hitting the wall alerted Bulk Biceps to what was going on. He turned just in time to see the pasta sliding to the floor and Fluttershy pulling out some more.

“Wait! Fluttershy!" Bulk held Fluttershy's hoof back before she flung anymore spaghetti. "I was joking. If it sticks to the wall, it's more likely to be overdone than cooked correctly."

"O-Oh." Fluttershy's face slowly turned red, and she placed the strand of spaghetti on the plate.

“Don’t worry about the other spaghetti noodles, I’ll clean them up,” Bulk said, grabbing the noodles off the floor. Then he had an idea.

When Fluttershy had her back to him, he threw one strand of spaghetti at her. She literally jumped three feet into the air and fluttered down slowly.

Bulk couldn’t see, but as he was trying to hold back his laughing, a devious smile crept across Fluttershy’s face--a highly unusual and rather scary sight on the normal demure mare--and she, too, picked up some pasta. She spun around and flung a whole hooffull of spaghetti at Bulk. It hit his face with a splat, and he blinked in surprise.

Then, the kitchen devolved into full-out war.

Spaghetti and laughing were flying all over as the two attacked each other with noodles, having too much fun to care about anything else. Pasta got in their manes and on the floor, smashed with every step.

Eventually, their war ceased, but their laughter didn’t and continued after they saw each other with spaghetti all over themselves.

After their laughter finally died down, Bulk looked around his kitchen. Normally, it was pristine. But he didn’t care. He chuckled and said, “After we clean up, how about we go out to eat?”

Fluttershy giggled. “Sounds good to me.”

Prompt will be bahatumay's: rain.

Pump It Up
Group Admin

3730823 3859119 4468109
Alright, so the collab has been submitted! Now we just wait.

I'll give the link as soon as it is published. :twilightsmile:

Claiming Rain

It was a nice sunny day out in Ponyville, At the park, Bulk happily trotted over to a nice tree with shade and carefully placed his picnic basket on the green grass. He gently looked inside the basket to make sure that he did not forget the food or most importantly, the box.

"Come on Bulk, get it together, you have done this before." he would mumble to himself. "I'm sure she'll approve of this and I'm also sure that it would turn out great. I have been waiting for this moment for years."

He nervously waited for his date to arrive, he wanted everything to be as perfect as possible when he finally does ask the big question. A question he has asked once before but ready to do so again. "Do it for her and do it for your daughter that needs a mother figure." he continued to mumble.

After a few more minutes of waiting, the mare he was expecting finally showed up, like an angel from heaven. Her angelic voice, her glorious yellow fur, her impressive pink mane. Everything about her screamed 'beautiful yet delicate', but it also did scream the one word he desperately wanted in a mare 'motherly'.

"Oh, I am so sorry I am late, Angel was being a little stubborn with his dinner." she apologized as she landed next to the big muscular pony. "I see we're having a picnic this time?"

"If you don't mind of course." Bulk smiled as he offered the shy pegasus some of the food in the basket.

"Well, hopefully your daughter's friends won't interrupt us again like last time."

"Uh..yeah." he nervously chuckled. "Don't worry, I doubled her allowance so she and her friends can go crusading at the carnival today." he explained.

Fluttershy smiled. "Well, their intentions were noble at least."

With that, Bulk started to unpack all the food from the basket but was extra careful to keep his second surprise hidden in there...for now.

"Oh goodness, I am stuffed." commented the mare as she finished the last muffin. She gently rubbed her full stomach. "That was really good, I really mean it."

"I am glad you liked it." he smiled with relief. "But I do have one more item in the basket." he slyly pointed out.

"Oh? What is it?" Fluttershy was intrigued.

"Just go in and look for yourself." he instructed.

The mare nervously walked up to the basket and peeked inside to find an unexpected surprise; a jewelry box. "Bulk?!" she was stunned. "What's this?!" she carefully took the box out of the basket. Bulk came up and grabbed it, then slowly went down to his knees, much to the timid pegasus' utter shock. "B-B-Bulk?!" she stammered.

"Fluttershy..." he happily began as he opened the box, to reveal a gold band inside. "...will you..." he gulped. "will you ma-"

His statement was immediately interrupted by the loud crash of thunder in the sky and the heavy downpour of rain that fell from the sky. All the ponies in the park ran for cover, and the couple as no exception, they both sprinted to a nearby gazebo to take shelter at.

"Damn..." muttered Bulk to himself with frustration. He wanted the day to be just as special as last time. He sadly looked out at the storm filled landscape. He sadly turned to his marefriend and sighed. "Look...I'm sorry ab-"

He was once again interrupted by a loving yet unexpected kiss on the lips. He felt all of his worries melt away then and there.

Fluttershy gently broke the kiss with a smile. "Why of course I'll marry you, you silly pony." she smiled.

Bulk smiled back, but had trouble telling whether or not the water coming out of his eyes are either tears or joy, or raindrops from the rainstorm still raging outside.

At this moment in time; he could not care either way.

Next Prompt: Melodic

Claiming medolic

It was a beautiful day. He knew that. The sky was blue - brushed lightly by the sun's rays. White splodges in the sky neatly decorated it, to his jealousy. Unlike the clouds, he had sharp edges and jerky movements, only sharing the same colour, and nothing more. It was something he didn't like - resenting the world, even just a little. But the world didn't seem as beautiful as some liked to describe.

He was broken out of his thoughts as a sweet sound found its way to his ear. He flicked it in response, before glancing to both sides of him, wondering where it was coming from. As he listened to it more than the tweeting birds around him, he recognized it to be a voice. A quiet voice.

A quiet voice singing.

He wondered if he was wrong to assume the song to be less than happy. From what he could hear, it was not at all sang in a minor tone, nor where the lyrics at all depressing. In fact, they seemed to dance steadily with the nature, which by all means, was wonderful.

And yet... the voice sounded so distant.

The white pegasus lifted his bulky body onto his hooves, and began to trot towards the sound. Though with each step the voice became louder, the words could not be sang more quietly.

He paused behind a bush, searching for the voice's keeper, and by no means took very long to spot her; a yellow pegasus, whose lips only faintly moved as she continued to sing with a slow tempo,

"...and the leaves will keep swirling, when new and when old.
One flower will bloom, even when its stem falls,
And one seed will sink down, though it may not hear its call.
And only one mare will see, how hard life may still be,
And she'll continue to sing, asking if anyone's listening-"

"Yeah!"

He then gasped, slamming his front hooves on his mouth. The mare jumped, swinging her head around to lock her eyes with his. As she did, a faint whimper escaped her, as several pink tresses covered her eye. Filled with guilt, he buzzed his wings and hovered over to her.

"Sorry!" he said, a little more loudly than he intended. "I just really liked your voice... and I was just curious to why you sounded so-"

A yellow hoof closed his mouth before he could finish. She stared up at him, her face a little more visible. Her cheeks were tinted red, by what he thought to be embarrassment. Yet, he might've been wrong.

"...I'm glad somepony stayed to listen to me."

Eh... Not as good as I thought it would be, but oh well. It's what I get for staying up at 11:30 pm and writing on my phone.

Anyway... Next prompt: Phobia

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Both have been added! Fret, yours will be posted tomorrow. :twilightsmile:

:twilightsmile:4491144 Okee dokee lokee ^^ thanks for the heads up

Pump It Up
Group Admin

You're welcome!

Ok, so here's what I've done. Turns out my idea for a write-off also had the same basic setup, with Featherweight and some ShyCeps. So I've decided to collect the two (Spaghetti prompt and the write-off story) here.

On an unrelated side note, I'd like to claim Phobia; but just from the ideas I have, it might end up being long enough to go in the Featherweight Files as well. So idk.

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Go ahead and write. I'm not going to stop you. :twilightsmile:

I have finally completed phobia!
…but it's over 4,000 words.
So I've published it here.

New prompt: pancakes

Fluttershy some up to the smell of hot oil, blueberries, and pancakes, with the omnipresent undertone of her home's assorted fauna beneath it. Who would be doing in her home? And this early?

Actually, a glance at her alarm clock - conspicuously silent - told her it wasn't that early after all. It was almost noon!

With a jolt, Fluttershy leaped out of bed, and immediately regretted it as everything from her hips back protested against even having to dangle in a different shape than they'd reknit themselves into overnight. Fluttershy blushed, remembering exactly why she was so sore, and realizing who had to be cooking downstairs.

Oh, she so hoped he'd remembered to feed the critters first... although, if he hadn't, she could use that as an excuse for him to come back upstairs after breakfast - brunch, she supposed, and punish her for -

Nope! She was going to march downstairs, feed the critters, enjoy her coltfriend's efforts in the kitchen, and then go soak in a nice hot bath until she could feel her tail again. While Bulk joined her to help make sure she lost -

Fluttershy started flying downstairs before she could go any further down *that* particular trail, thank you very much!

Downstairs, her suspicions that Bulk was making breakfast were confirmed, the gentle giant humming tunelessly while he flipped blueberry pancakes. Angel stood stern guard over him with stirring spoon in paw, ready to lay down the law if the Maker of Late Breakfasts dared trespass against any other house rules. All the other critters were milling about as usual, strangely quiet for now hungry they must be. And Rarity was sitting at the kitchen table with a steaming mug of coffee in front of her.

Oh dear. Fluttershy was suddenly very aware of how unkempt she was. Normally it wouldn't bother her, Rarity expected a certain level of frazzled on spa days (oh, why hadn't she remembered that was today?), but this morning's display came along with some distinctively matted fur that the poor pegasus really didn't want to explain!

At least not until after a they were soaking safely in the privacy of the spa's hot tub, where she could hide beneath the water.

Maybe if she just drowned herself in the tub, it would be less awkward?

No, no, Aloe and Lotus would be devastated, and besides, how could she settle her account there if -

Fluttershy's musings were interrupted by a glowing, blue, flying plate of blueberry pancakes with syrup fluttering onto the table nearest her.

"Eep! G-good morning, everypony! Thank you for making breakfast, Bulk!"

"Happy to, Fluttershy! I took care of your animals too, since you... uhm... had such a rough night last night."

He and Fluttershy both blushed as Rarity tittered into a hoof, her predatory grin growing even wider as some juicy details (quite literally, to judge by Fluttershy's poor coat) promised to offer themselves as up later.

"Yes, I arrive just as Bulk was finishing up and putting his nuts into the pancake batter," she explained.

Fluttershy's world started to blur at the edges. So this was what it felt like to die....

"My cinnamon nuts!" Bulk very nearly squeaked, just before his marefriend could actually faint in front of him. He planned to do that himself later, she had no business beating him to it!

"Of course, darling, whatever else would I mean?" Rarity flashed her grin at him, and not for the first time since she'd arrived he felt like the last protein shake at a bodybuilding contest.

"I'd better finish cleaning up and get going to work," Bulk hurriedly explained, turning to start washing the dishes and hide his blazing cheeks.

" Oh, I can do that! " Fluttershy protested.

"Nope! My mess, I clean it up."

"Such a gentlecolt!" Rarity smiled. "Not what he said last night though, was it?" She teased Fluttershy with a quiet sing-songy tone, levitating her last pancake and rolling it up to a tube that could have held Mister Mouse comfortably. She quirked an eyebrow, as if asking about her estimate.

Fluttershy flushed and poked at her own pancakes, rolling the top one up like me Rarity's... then a second around that... then a third around that, and finally holding her hoof above her confectionary confession, indicating something more the size of the rabbit still guarding the kitchen, Rarity's eyes widening with each progressive addition, her jaw dropping slightly at the last one.

"Well, I certainly hope he was a gentlecolt then!" She muttered, fanning herself slightly and eating the last of her impromptu meal. Still, morbid curiosity demanded she ask, and once she finished, she floated her dishes over to Bulk at the sink, holding her hooves about six inches across as she did.

Fluttershy began to wonder if her coat could ignite from her own body heat, and if so, how much warning would the smoke give her first. Still, using her fork she push the innermost two pancakes out, like a telescoping tube of delectably hot, sticky goodness. Half again as long as the pancake... three-quarters... finally stopping just shy of a full two pancake widths.

Rarity's eyes widened again, this time with newfound respect for her dear friend's... appetite.

Fluttershy restacked her breakfast and started to eat silently, hoping Rarity would be satisfied for now.

"All done!" Bulk announced as he dried his hooves, oblivious to the objectification going on behind him. "I'll see you at the spa later, okay?"

"Yeah!" Fluttershy laughed, imitating his trademark enthusiasm. He laughed back at her, and kissed her gently before heading out.

"You have got to be pulling my leg, Fluttershy!" Rarity exclaimed once the door was shut. "Really... is he.... "

Fluttershy finished her own breakfast with a bashful nod to her flummoxed friend.

"And when he...?"

Fluttershy reached a wing out towards the syrup bottle to put it away, and then considered for a moment. She pointed her feathers at the bottom of the bottle, then raised them... and raised them... And again, until she'd measured out about half the bottle's height.

"If you don't mind, I think I need to go wash up before we head out to the market," she explained, putting her plate in the sink for later and putting the syrup away. "I got some syrup in my coat."

New prompt - before I get killed for posting that - is "Lift"!

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Oh my god somebody posted

Oh my god I'm so late on seeing this

I do appreciate you writing! If I can think of something, I might just take your prompt (although I would hope that someone else will come along and participate as well so it's not just the two of us, haha).

EDIT: Also:

So this was what it felt like to Wi-Fi

I have no idea what you meant by this, and it was the one thing I couldn't figure out (there were a couple other typos towards the beginning I fixed).

Extensive edits made.

Stupid, stupid autocorrect!

Pump It Up
Group Admin

I figured you were typing on a mobile device, judging from how "grin" turned into "from." Anywho, thanks! I wouldn't have thought "die" would turn into "WiFi." :rainbowhuh: Expect the chapter to go up in the next couple of hours or so (when I'm able to use a computer). :twilightsmile:

Pump It Up
Group Admin

Aaaaand it's up!

Yeah, frankly, Amazon's autocorrect is the "hold my beer" to Apple's "can't beat this!"

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 40