The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

If I had to describe this story in one sentence, I would say it was an experience. I've personally never given any thought to the subject matter, but I guess that just made it all the more interesting. Enough with teasing you guys, let's hop into the details.
This story, by Scarheart76, is all about a pregnant Celestia. Yes, that is correct. Celestia get's impregnated by Starswirl the bearded (not a spoiler, it's not that relevant to the plot), and we follow the story in the limited third person with Luna. A number of issues are addressed regarding the details of an alacorn pregnancy, and that is where the tragedy of the story comes from. The basic premise is that Celestia, being a demi-goddess, struggles to bear children since her magic is hostile to them. Exactly how is not relevant, but the fact that it is a fact has a huge impact on Celestia.
Choosing to follow Luna around really did this story a lot of good, considering the ending. Her insight and concern for her sister is what drives the story forward. If the narrative had followed Celestia, describing her behavior and thoughts would not have been nearly as interesting. Thankfully, Luna gives us the uncertainty as to future events, which helps build dramatic tension and keeps us hooked on the story. A very subtle, but effective mechanic.
However, if you’ve read the story, none of you are going to be thinking about what I’ve just written. I know for a fact that almost all of you are going have thoughts along these lines:

Why does everyone talk like Luna did in Luna Eclipsed?

You’ll noticed that the entirety of the dialogue is written in a bastardized Shakespearean style. It’s not true Shakespeare, since it’s not iambic pentameter, but it’s not what you would use to talk to someone on the street. I can’t help but wonder why the author chose this style of writing. There are no errors I could find, but it doesn’t help with the flow of the story. I understand that because the story takes place 1500 years before FiM, they probably spoke differently. However, I found my self bogged down trying to decipher the dialogue between the two sisters, which kept me from actually enjoying the story.
Scarheart76 apparently plans on expanding off of this story, with various one shots relating to Luna and Chrysalis. He (I hope I’m using the correct pronoun) definitely has talent in regards to dramatic tension, but the olde english style dialogue is a stylistic choice I just can’t get behind. If that doesn’t bother you, then I think you’ll enjoy what he has to offer.

2835245 Hey, thanks for the review! The old style of speaking was a bit of a risk I was willing to take in writing the story (it still needs polish, I'll admit), but I enjoyed writing it, picking the brains of a few fellow authors and editors I've come to know and respect on the site. Taking a break from what is expected in dialogue has its own risk and rewards. After writing one of my complete stories, I wanted something different few other authors have attempted. An attempt at something a bit more original, if you will.:twistnerd:

That being said, I find your thoughts insightful and honest. I appreciate that.:twilightsmile:

(and yeah, I'm a 'he')

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Remember to link the story and author in your review. Other then that, nice work.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3