The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

I will have a video review on my YouTube channel for those interested, which I will link to once it is uploaded. For now, I'll begin with the written review.
I've never read any core Fallout Equestria literature before this time. In all honesty, I've never played any Fallout game in my life. They never really attracted me. I can only make cursory judgments after watching my brother play New Vegas for over 1000 hours. The core of the game seems to be to get you through the story in some interactive way, but it either seems really easy to do so, or impossible. Gameplay, at least gunplay, appears to be sub-par. Having the game do my aiming for me, on a PC of all things, seems a bit demeaning. On top of the fact that the game is extremely buggy with incredibly dumb AI, I see no reason for me to be remotely interested in any of the games.
But this isn't a review of the Fallout games. I am here to talk about the story. Unfortunately, all of the criticisms I listed above apply equally to the fic, All that Glitters is not Gold. I would like to say I found something to appreciate in the narrative, but I simply couldn't find it. It’s like looking for innovation in the newest CoD. I shouldn't have to look for it, and I can’t see it anyway.
That might sound awful harsh, but I can substantiate my claims. Mechanically and grammatically, I found numerous errors in the writing that really took me out of the experience. some were minor, such as word order, but others were such basic errors such as using the their when he should have written there. There are no blatant spelling or story breaking grammatical errors, but the entire story is awkward to read.
These are petty complaints compared to the overall problem with the narrative. The characters seem disposable. We’re given no reason at all to care for them, and they don’t seem to have any flaws or strengths, or anything to give them depth. Everyone, including the first person narrator, is written like a one dimensional tough guy, and they're not even well written. The author seems to try too hard to make everyone a bad-ass, but that does a disservice to the characters and the story. So far, the story seems petty, like a side quest. Go to the vault, get through obstacles, loot, get out, profit. There’s no real lore behind what’s in there, or any good reason as to why they want to loot the vault in the first place. All I can think of is that this heist squad is a group of greedy dirt-bags who will do anything to get anything. I don’t care what happens in that vault. Equestria is probably better off if they all die in there.
This may seem extremely harsh, but I honestly can’t think of a single thing to like about this story. The characters are unsympathetic, the story is bland, and the writing is sloppy.It is still incomplete, but this is not a promising beginning.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

2656833 Um....... no
First of,

For starters, the author, theboyconner, isn't that talented of a writer.

↑↑ This is unexceptable!↑↑
:unsuresweetie: I am going......:facehoof: aw why! OK, I have to do some corrective action here! I'll PM you

:unsuresweetie: Its not true ok.

2656902 I'm not gonna be all sore over some criticism, reviews are subjective, and all that jazz. Just letting the reviewer know that I've read their opinion, however, I am a bit niffed that they didn't tell me they had reviewed me, as even a negative review gives my ego a bit of a boost.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Please, send me a PM on what I can do better to help this situation. Or you can just put it here.

2656929 I don't understand. The situation is fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

There is opinion, yes. If you want me to drop it I can.

I still want to talk to you though.

2656961 You can keep it here, I don't mind.

The video is live. Get it here.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

What was lacking from the Written portion was made up in the video. So well done there.:twilightsmile:

2658395 I think the biggest problem with fallout is that its too comical and tries to not be serious. Its kind of distracting. Thats why I like Stalker and Metro more.

I don't think it's a lack of seriousness that hurts the game. Metro is an excellent series because it focus on it's atmosphere, which requires it to be very dreary. Conversely, Battlefield and Call of Duty are fun because they can be so comically unrealistic, despite appearing to be very immersive. How many soldiers do you think throw C4 on a dirt bike and run it into a tank? Or do 360 no-scopes while jumping off of ladders? You do not want to be in an IRL squad with Chaboyy.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12