The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Tidal
Group Admin

So tonight I'm doing a review for the story Celestia's Gambit By DemonBrightSpirit
A lot of bronies see Celestia as nothing more then a troll who sends things to the moon in her spare time

But DemonBrightSpirit's headcannon of Celestia definitely shows the "everything happens for a reason" concept done right.

Let us begin.

FEELS METER
On my feels meter this story would have to score a 4 out of 10. Not because it's bad. Only because I wasn't saddened while reading (Reminder: The feels meter is my own personal thing I do for fun so don't judge the story based its score alone.)

MOOD
The mood of the story definitely is mysterious as it begins.

Time. For an immortal, something such as time should be nearly irrelevant. I may be Equestria's eternal ruler, but even I find myself consumed with dread as time marches ever forward. It has been a thousand long years since I banished my own little sister to the moon. Now her release is mere minutes away.

Taken straight from the story. From here Celestia tells the story of how she got to this day. The author does a great job writing for the Princess of the Sun. The story explains what exactly "Celestia's Gambit" is quickly and every paragraph makes you want to continue reading to see what else the wise Princess will say next. One thing about this story that REALLY got my attention is how Celestia admits the truth of why she took Twilight under her wing. :trollestia: Overall great job keeping the focus on Celestia's thoughts and feelings and giving her more character then any episode, and most fanfics I've read about tia so far. The story is very easy to read, but at first you will question exactly where Celestia is in the beginning. Be patient cause at the end its revealed.

GRAMMAR
The author has a broad vocabulary. Not gonna lie some words I had to go and look up to understand their meaning :facehoof: But overall the story literally had no spelling errors that I saw, all the punctuation was there and used correctly, and the use of "big words" wasn't so extensive that It was hard to read. Dare I say, this story gets a 5 out of 5 for its grammar

STYLE
Celestia is basically the Gandalf of this story. The author gives her the voice of one who has lived for thousands of years and is full of wisdom and I applaud that. I also applaud the creativity of the headcannon. Celestia admits her wrongs, and also tells us what she has been doing for a thousand years during the banishment of Luna. One thing I have to say disappointed me... It wasn't really all that sad :fluttershysad: You can feel for Celestia, but not enough for real sadness. Still though, it was a great story!

Another thing I think you could've done though was tell us who her source is for information. How does she know the ones planning the Summer Sun Celebration are the new element bearers? Who told her? Other then that the author overall as previously stated wrote for Celestia very very well. The author even tied in parts of the first episode!

Remember this S***? It happens.

My final score for this story is A Must Read!
The author's nearly flawless writing style earned him/her a like, favorite, and follow from me. I look forward to reading more from DemonBrightSpirit. I say to any reader to give it a read, while it isn't the saddest story I've read it definitely deserves more views then what it has now. :twilightsmile:

Tidal out. Next story I do will be a commentary review!

2626067 An intellectual write with "big" words?! I think it might just be for me.:pinkiecrazy:

Tidal
Group Admin

2626099 To me they were "Big" words lol...me and my feeble little mind... But it was a good story I enjoy one-shots like this one :pinkiehappy:

2626135 I don't mind if i can't understand every word, but most of the ones I've had to read lately don't exactly have the "maturity" I'm looking for.:twilightblush:

Tidal
Group Admin

2626152 I'm waiting for a real tear jerker! I've only read ONE story that has actually made me cry. Would love to read another :twilightsheepish:

2626175 My stories are all fluff and happiness, no joke. :derpytongue2:

Tidal
Group Admin
Tidal
Group Admin

2626184 Lol jk I love all types of stories, just sad ones are so much fun to me :yay:

2626231 Believe me, I might just try to find the darkest in my folder and review that next!:raritydespair:

Tidal
Group Admin

2626247 Lol! good luck, I hope the next review from you be full of joy and laughter and cupcakes :pinkiecrazy:

2626617 That is not me at all.:scootangel: But I don't let my own opinions affect how I review a story. I approach them all subjectively.

Tidal
Group Admin

2626627 I gotta make sure I do the same... lol :unsuresweetie:

Wow, that's pretty high (compared to what I've gotten so far, anwyay) praise. I'm not upset about the low sadness rating. It wasn't intended to be a tearjerker. I was going for something closer to melancholy.

Grammar was actually quite the hurdle for me on this one. Not because of "big words"... Did I really use that many? Anyway, this was actually my first attempt at a first-person fic. All my other stories have been third-person. It made flow and tense oddly difficult for me. I'm pretty sure I messed up enough not to warrant a 5/5. :unsuresweetie:

I had to look up Gandalf. I never read the books or saw the movies, so I'm not sure what to make of the parallel. :rainbowhuh: Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I like to think of Celestia not as an omnipotent, omniscient god. Nor do I care for those other things that end in -estia. I like to think of her as a flawed, three-dimensional character that just doesn't get much face time in the series.

As I said in my author's notes--a lot of this story was simply my headcanon brought to life. I was actually having a conversation with a friend about Celestia, and, in place of a debate, decided to show him my headcanon via fanfic. And thus this story was born. :twilightsmile:

Oh, and in reference to your reply, I was hesitant to add too many of my fics at once to be reviewed here. I know that it takes time for reviewers to go through and assemble a review, and thought it rude to add too many at once. It just seemed a bit selfish. Not to mention two of my stories aren't finished yet and picking just one folder is a bit of a chore for a couple of them.

Speaking of which, how is tragedy a main theme for a story? It's more of an ending than a theme, right? I'm asking out of curiosity about which folder another fic of mine should be placed in.

Tidal
Group Admin

2626983 Yeah its true, this group has a lot of stories and some folders are much bigger then others so some types of stories might take a little longer to get around to...

and you my friend need to watch lord of the rings... :twilightoops: I compared it just cause Gandalf is wise and awesome.... and sends Frodo on a journey across the country to destroy a great evil.. kinda like your version of Celestia! :trollestia:

Now for a tragedy story I would think a story with a good amount of death, maybe things like disownage and stuff like that... Sad and tragedy seem the same to me sometimes... But a good example between the 2 for a fic would be like a sad story having a character die in a sad way like old age or at birth... and tragedy would be like someone being murdered, or forced to watch someone they care about die... lol wait then that seems dark... UGH! ITS SO CONFUSING SOMETIMES!

I would PM one of the tragedy reviewers for that maybe? They might know the difference better then me since those are the stories they work on. lol anyway I really think you did a good job on your story... continue with the great work and I'll be sure to read some of your other stuff when I'm

1. Not writing my story
and
2. Not reviewing.
I'll let you know what I think of those too! :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14