The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Samhainophobia: A persistent, abnormal, and often very intense fear of the holiday Halloween.

2spooky4u

Fluttershy doesn't like Nightmare Night. So, what else is new? This story, that's what! Dramacolt takes the super spoopy fun of Equestria's Halloween into a unique and decently written bundle of holiday hijinks. Other than this story, I've never read a story starring Fluttershy that I could call "fun", but this story reads like a Pinkie Pie story, despite it's moral being oh so very Fluttershy

Descriptive Writing:
This story's descriptive paragraphs do something that not many other authors' do: they get in, get out, and tell you exactly what's happening. Like Joe Perry on a guitar, they cut the fluff and get straight to the point without feeling bare or rushed. During each scene, I had a very clear idea and visualization of what was going on because of the trouble the author went to to make it so.

Well Built, Absorbing Plotline
I can't say enough about how well this story nailed it's concept on the head. This story does a great job drawing you in and I'd argue has just as fun a depiction of Nightmare Night as the episode. I'd say the best and most entertaining addition is what Luna is doing. This is a year after the nightmare night in the show, and Luna's role has now become roaming the streets scaring random ponies. The anticipation of the fact that Fluttershy is going to get scared eventually does a great job building up to a funny plot :twistnerd: of an ending.

Fun Story Concept
Nightmare Night has been done before, but this one is one of the most entertaining examples. The fact that it's Fluttershy causing the fun is an ironic :twistnerd: that makes it even funnier. Thought the beginning didn't really match the rest of the story and was a bit too surreal at points, it did a great job of establishing how damn terrified Fluttershy is about Nightmare Night, and seeing her transformation from the start to the end of the story is great.

Grammar
Grammar was okay, though I'd caution the author to be more careful about certain things, specifically the inconsistency with which they used "Ah" and "I" for Applejack's speech (and while I'm on this topic, just as a general tip from a guy who's been around the block: don't use Ah. It's not grammatically correct and doesn't do anything other than distract from the story.)

Dailogue
Can't say I was in love with the talking in this one. Especially at the beginning of the story, it was awkward and certain characters (Rainbow Dash in particular) were OOC for most of the story. Some of them were using words they just wouldn't use in conversation, so my advice would be to dumb the dailogue down a bit. However, this problem does improve by the end of the story, so no biggie.

All in all, this is a great fun story that gives a great new spin on the idea of Nightmare Night, and shows that even Fluttershy can loosen up and have fun sometimes. :yay:

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Admin

2619032 Nice review. On a side note, could you meet me on Chapter 1 of Irrevocable? It's almost done, I think, but I could use your help with something...

Thank you very much for reviewing. To tell the truth, reading this was the definition of 'Throwback Thursday' for me. :rainbowlaugh: This was actually my first story (both fanfic and in general) that I ever wrote back in September and October of 2012. Looking back, I think it is amazing to see how much I've improved ever since then; your review really brought back so many memories. I thank you for that.

I wrote my first story back then too. 13 stories later, still my highest-rated story. I'll never understand.

This one is also still my highest rated, and it just recently received a mega spike in likes—A YEAR AFTER IT WAS PUBLISHED! I don't get it.

When was the spike?

Around September and October. Since this is a Halloween story, I guess it kind if makes sense for it to occur around the season.

Interesting

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8