The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Lucky Seven
Group Contributor

Synopsis

Anon and Fluttershy get into a fight. Furious, Anonymous decides to go to a bar to cool down for a bit. While he's there, he meets a Diamond Dog named Ruby. This is how her heart breaks.

WARNING

This is an anon story. No h8 pls.

Nah, but seriously, while I'm not a fan of the Anon concept in general, I think it's unfair for people to judge an author's creativity based upon the fact that the character is supposed to be you. Nobody ever read those Goosebumps "choose-your-own-adventure" stories as a child and thought, "Hm, while the concept and execution of this story are excellent, I'm afraid you goofed by making the character us, R.L. Stein."

It's actually a fairly well-written story, one which I'm positive anyone who likes depressing stuff would enjoy. After all, life isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kiddies. Shit gets real sometimes. Oh, and the story isn't always from Anon's perspective. Weird. Wild.

Mood: Minor spoilers ahead.

If the mood of this story wasn't made obvious by my last paragraph, it's a fairly depressing story. The premise is that Fluttershy and anon (that's you, ya dingus) get into a big fight. How dare you. How fucking DARE you get into a fight with that pretty yellow pony. You've got some nerve, guys. But no, you couldn't leave it at that. Then you had to go and sleep with a Diamond Dog. What a mistake, right? Well, without spoiling any other details (and there's a lot, trust me), I'll just say that you actually do feel bad for Anon in this story. It tugs at your heartstrings, yo.

Pictured below, you'll find Fluttershy and Anon's reactions, respectively.

Flow: After having read this, it gives me the impression that Flutterpriest had set out to write exactly this from the beginning. No more, no less. Even if that's not the case, it flows fairly well. The entire story is six chapters long, and each chapter is appropriately made into its own sort of story that. Each of these 6 chapters, when combined, form a pretty coherent story. Some authors make the mistake of jumping all over the place, overusing exposition, and generally do a poor job of keeping the main story arc flowing. Not this time, though.

Grammar: Not much to say with this one. The grammar and spelling are impeccable, and you won't find many mistakes as you go through.

this image scares me

Review/Final Thoughts

When you look at a story like this, your first thought is usually something like, "Did the conflict live up to what the author promised?". It did. The major conflict of the story keeps you on the edge of your seat as you read, because you really want everything to work out for all parties involved. Unfortunately, this story also has its drawbacks. It appeals to a fairly niche group of people that thoroughly enjoy AiE (that is, Anon in Equestria) stories. If you don't like AiE stories, I'd still say to at least give it a shot since the author clearly put a lot of thought into it, plus you don't always read the story from Anon's perspective, which is a nice choice as it lets you feel everyone's emotions. But it's also pretty cliche at moments. Stories like this are only worth the read if they're well-written, and this one was.

All in all, I''d rate this story as "Enjoyable". It's not something I'd go out and recommend to everyone, but if you happen to stumble upon it (or click that link at the top guys), I think it's something you'll enjoy.

5524828 An anon story that's good? be still, my beating heart!

5524828 There's a big difference in between a 2nd person 'you' story and using anon, usually in a third or first person. Anon isn't you.

5524828 Took a look, it is 2nd person.

This shouldn't even BE an anon story, unless you're implying I, the reader, am a creeper in a green mask.

Choose your own adventures don't hoist a name on you, unless it is, by the story, some title or nickname. Anon is a name. It's a pretty terrible name, but a name. The story was not helped by its presence.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

The review sounded pretty unambiguously positive for just an Enjoyable. You might note a higher score for a niche audience. I've had to do that before.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5