The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Lucky Seven
Group Contributor

Synopsis

I come here sometimes and bring them out again.

It's okay to hate them. I don't hate myself.

It's okay to hurt them. I won't hurt myself.

I want to smile like them. I don't smile for myself.

I'd like to start this off by saying that I'm not much a fan of Pinkamena stories. It's not that I dislike the concept of the character, as much as I dislike the far-too-common poor quality of such stories. This is not one of those stories, and for good reason. Rinnaul brought a breath of fresh air to a worn out concept, and I applaud him for that. Instead of relying on the typical "Pinkamena is going to carve up her friends" trope, he instead falls back on a story that has no dialogue. You're treated to Pinkamena's thoughts the whole way through, and it's done fantastically.

Mood: The mood of this story should be quite obvious. It's a very depressing story, so it's only a good read if you go in with the right mindset. If you're expecting any sort of laughs, smiles, or happiness in general, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. The author does a wonderful job keeping you reading though, even with no dialogue, which speaks bounds considering the mood.

Flow: With a story like this, the short length was actually a strength. The author didn't drag it out for too long, as some tend to do. Rather, he stopped at a point that leaves you wondering just what Pinkamena is actually going to do. This works well because, when it comes to someone with a crazed mind, you never truly know what they're planning on doing. I also rather enjoyed the fact that while the entire story revived around a single thought, you get dragged around between different segments of the imagination. You're taken on a true ride, and it's both wonderful and deranged.

Grammar: There's not much to say here. The grammar and spelling in the story was fantastic, and I didn't notice any major issues as I read over it a few times. Twilight herself would be proud.

Review/Final Thoughts

All in all, I 'd give this story a "Recommended" rating. It's not something I'd likely find myself reading again, but I'm very glad that I did at least once. I wish I could have gone more in-depth, but with a story of this length being written as well as it was, there isn't a whole lot more I can say that either isn't obvious or wouldn't spoil anything. The flow of the story was excellent, and the author set the tone of the story very well from the first line. If you like the occasional sad story, then I would definitely recommend that you go give this one a read. It won't take up much of your time, and you'll come out glad that the time that does go into reading it will be well-spent.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Thanks for the review.

I didn't really submit this one looking to land a Masterpiece or even to get advice, but more just to see what people thought of it, since I'm not really sure where it entirely came from, myself. Well, I know what inspired it to begin with. It was a story from an author rather infamous for slamming out poorly-thought-out fics that were little more than concepts, with plots and narratives so confused that the end results tended to be incoherent.

That story was very much the murderous Pinkamena that everyone is so tired of. And she was using the mirror pool to create an army of clones that began attacking Equestria with Party Cannons.

It was... not good.

I guess I could say I took the concept of Pinkamena visiting the mirror pool and combined it with Pinkamena being Pinkie Pie having an existential crisis. Beyond that, though, it's minimally-edited stream-of-consciousness writing, and I couldn't tell you what I was thinking as I did it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2