The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Muggonny
Group Admin

BEFORE WE START: It seems that in my last review I came to several faulty conclusions. I'm just making a note of this, but I'm sorry it happened. I had a very stressful time writing the review -- while I meant to spend weeks to make it perfect, I ran out of hair to pull out many days too early. I'll be giving the story a proper review soon.

NOTE: I'll be changing my review style for a while. This will only be temporary -- just until I find a new way to write a well-structured review with ease.

No, no -- not that! We're looking at Dragon Story.

(WARNING: May contain spoilers!)

(Though there might be hardly any)

(I don't know, I only do reviews)

(I'm not perfect)

Remember when you were in the first grade and you, your classmates, and Mrs. Nesbitt would gather in the center of class and read a story book? That's basically what this story is. A child's read.

While this story doesn't make a very big impression, it manages to scathe my interest by telling a simple, yet interesting story, occupied by pictures and simple sentences. The idea is so simple that it was fun going through this. Now, of course this story wasn't great, but before I continue any further, here's the rating the story gets:

Rating: 6/10
Recommended
(Short; fun; unique; simple)

Now why am I bringing up the word "simple" a lot? Well, sometimes simple is great. For most fanfiction writers you see today, they'll often try hard and fail badly. There have been those fanfics that get over a thousand likes but then they end up sucking. While this story wasn't great, it's the fact that the author took a simple turn to make the story unique.

When I was little, I remember that my favorite part of the 1st/2nd/3rd grade was story time. I absolutely loved the story books that they read to us. This brought back those memories. This isn't The Hobbit: Or, There and Back Again (really good book; I suggest you pick it up), this is simply a short story about a knight. You know, like how we see in all those children's books. Yet we still get the things we normally see in these kinds of stories: A quick character introduction, explanation of events, backstory -- it's all there and it can't be missed. But I can't completely praise the story in this review -- no. Let's get to the pleasant bashing (this isn't Rage Reviews; we're better than that, c'mon).

While fun, short, and unique, the story suffers from lack of a well-functioning plot. What! What do I mean by that? The story and its chapters are so short, that the plot moves far too quickly. I don't remember if children books do that, but I do know that this ain't no Huckleberry Finn. While it did have a creative idea, it didn't have that creative taste you'll get in stories like Jack and the Beanstalk or Johnny Appleseed (hey, wouldn't that make a great OC name?). When it comes to a children's story, we want to have a fun time while embarking on an adventure with our favorite characters. Crescent (main character) is likable in a way, but we need more of her story in the story.

In children's reads, main characters often get unusual to great personalities. Crescent has a personality, her story is told, but it feels like there's a missing piece to her. Crescent's personality is brave, while at the same time she's caring. She respects her job and those who help her. So why am I getting a hunch that Crescent is at a roadblock at some point in the story?

Like my review on To Drown A Butterfly, here's how the story of Crescent goes:

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

Now let's take a closer look:

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

A mare slept soundly in a bare small room. Her name was Crescent, and she worked for the princesses as a guard during night-time.

It is here at Wake up that we get an introduction for the character, and I believe this one is done well. My only problem with it is that it says "princesses" but Luna is the one she takes orders from -- unless I'm mistaken and I'm actually some kind of idiot. It could be that she stands around the castle at night, guarding the front door of Celestia's hallway.

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

In this scene we meet Princess Luna. We already know that the Princess Luna in the show is a major character. In this story, though, Luna is a very minor character -- it isn't unusual but it's not done often either; but I'd like to take I moment to respect that the author portrayed Luna as a minor character and done so how a minor character would act.

“You may stand, Crescent, Van of my Night Guard.”

AH HA! LOOK, YOU SEE? CRESCENT OBVIOUSLY WORKS FOR PRINCESS LUNA! I'M NOT AN IDIOT! I CAN DO REVIEWS!

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

I think this may be where the story falls apart in my mind. Perhaps that hunch I had wasn't about Crescent's personality, but perhaps it was about this scene. Every time I thought about what was wrong with Crescent, my mind would jump to this scene. Then it practically kicked me in the head. Crescent is hardly given a challenge.

Back on the topic of children stories, while short, they're always presented with a challenge within the story. On her way up the mountain, Crescent just climbs it and is there. Nothing else. Without telling the readers the adventure on the way up, why even bother having an Adventure tag? It's not the fact that she climbed the mountain and was just there, but it's the fact that there is no challenge at all. Throughout the whole story!

Now, there is some conflict with the dragon, but only for a very short time. There's no conflict within the adventure, nor any adventure. She just gets there and rescues them. While not rushed, it was anything but fairly told. -- that's the missing link to our hero Crescent. There's nothing to challenge her. Without that, she doesn't become as balanced out correctly.

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

In this scene, the character is given a challenge, but not much of one. This answer will be shown in the next one:

1. Wake up
2. Visit Princess Luna
3. Climb the mountain
4. Meet the dragon
5. Save the captives

In connection with number four, Crescent rescue the captives far too easily. The dragon controls the light, but what good does that do when the main character has a magical brooch? Actually, that brooch is pretty cool. And it makes sense. But the dragon just gives up. Just like that! Of course, it knows that it can't win though. But... I think we're done here.

With that, we have to ask one question: Is this story really based of children books, or was that just a wrongful accusation? I don't know, I only do reviews. (Because if so then this is one hell of an awful review)

Whoa, this took hours to make. I'm off, see ya.

So... am I the only one in the mood to binge watch a Dragon Tales marathon on Netflix?

One of the ideas I had for this review was to just announce the story and only post the video, then I would give the ratings. But I like my job.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2