The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Hello, Smaug the golden here to review An Additional Story with a Lack of 'E', by NarwalUnicorn. It is a lipogram about Flitter and ‘Thundy.’ As said by NarwhalUnicorn, this appraisal will not will not contain the doom non-consonant, so don’t worry… Or should you?
For starters, flow. This story is short. Really short. That makes it kind of hard to pinpoint. It also starts off where the previous story ended, which means it requires a quick reading of the prequel to understand the current one. However, it moves faster than a normal story, which is understandable considering that it is a sequel. 6/10.
Grammar. This fic has good grammar overall. I didn’t find any errors while reading and re-reading it, making me think that it lacks grammatical errors. 10/10.
Mood. As Cogwing stated in the other review of this story’s prequel, a lipogram is hard to make funny due to the lack a specific letter. What makes this story funny is the fact that the replacement of words is enough to make anyone laugh. 7/10 Yes, I know I’m a stickler for mood. I award lower than some people might. Sue me.
Perspective. This story is third person present, which makes the lack of E a whole lot easier. Considering that this is past tense, I’ve used the letter E a number of times. It sticks with its theme, so I give it a nice 9/10.
Characterization is fun. This story uses a cast of minor characters, mainly pegasi… Or is it only pegasi? Is Milky Way as pegasus or an earth pony? I think he’s a pegasus.. Anyway, when using minor characters, it is easy to do what you like with them. However, this story also fits with my recollection of the characters from the episodes that they’re in. 7/10.
Grammar: 10/10
Flow: 6/10.
Perspective: 9/10.
Mood: 7/10
Characterization: 7/10.
Overall: 39/50.
Sugar: Excellent lipogram here, NarwhalUnicorn. I enjoyed it. You’ve certainly got a knack for these lovely little lipograms.
Salt: Maybe slow down the flow a little. It takes a little while for a reader to be fully immersed in a story, and by the time I finally got immersed, I was sighing with disappointment due to the fact that it was over.
Final thought. An Additional Story with a Lack of E is an enjoyable comedy, but would probably require a reading of the previous. If you have a moment to spare, check out this silly little lipogram. Also, NarwhalUnicorn, have you read Ella Minnow Pea? It’s the king of lipograms, so you might enjoy it.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I'll leave you the honor of linking this review in the story comments.:trollestia:

3556586 :pinkiegasp: Thank you! I will do so tomorrow morning.

3558634 You're quiet welcome. It was a fun read.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5