The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Hello, Smaug the golden here to review In His Own Way a romantic, humanized comedy by Merc the Jerk. It focuses on Rarity, Spike and their friends playing an online RPG. Rarity begins to realize that over time Spike’s crush on her has not diminished, but has instead grown.
To start off, let me review the grammar. The grammar in this fic is extremely good, without any errors I could find, except for the part where our heroes are typing over the RPG server in abbreviations. This story earns itself a 10/10 or an A+ for its grammar.
Next up come perspective. It is told in 3rd person singular, focusing on Rarity and her thoughts. It sticks to this, and give us an interesting look a Rarity’s mind. Takes another 10/10 for this piece, as it lacks perspective errors.
Third, we must discuss the topic of flow. Some might argue that it moves too slowly, while others say it moves too fast. The story doesn’t seem to move too fast or slow. It moves a little on the slow side, but overall is still a well done piece. 8/10.
Characterization: this is an interesting one. It is tagged with both alternate universe and human, which leaves room for variation from the show. However, all things considered, it is very good characterization, with Rarity, Spike and the rest of them reading like the actual character. 9/10.
The one problem I had with this story was the mood. The story seems to state that it’s a romance. It’s definitely that. However, it was placed in our comedy folder, putting me in two minds about this story. It’s a romance without a doubt, but I didn’t find it that funny. I’m not sure if that’s due to my personal taste in humor or if it just isn’t funny. 6/10.
Grammar: 10/10
Perspective: 10/10
Flow: 8/10
Characterization: 9/10
Mood: 6/10
Overall: 43/50
Sugar: You’ve got an excellent romance here, Merc. Very believable and enjoyable. A wonderful read for romance and humanized fans everywhere. I enjoyed it a lot too, even though I tend to avoid romance and humanized.
Salt: Erm… Not much to say here. My main piece of advice would be to make it more funny if it’s submitted to the comedy folder? :unsuresweetie:
All in all, here is my last bit. In His Own Way is definitely recommended for those of you who enjoy humanized or romance. It’s a stellar piece, with an excellent idea and storyline. Comedy perfectionists may not appreciate this story as much as others, but it is still worth a read.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

I'll have to take a look at this and share my own thoughts, once I can convince myself to read human Sparity.

Thank you kindly for the review!

Please share when you're ready to. I'm all about hearing opinions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4