The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Reviewers Rating: Teen, Minimal Gore

~~+~~

Commentary:

Wow, when I started reading this story... I was expecting to only read two chapters and be done with it. That was not at all the case, but I'm still reading this story and enjoying every word. That is saying something since I am board easily and usually takes quite a bit to keep my interest.

Also, do Keep in mind that this Review is going to be biased on the first eight chapters of the story. Then I'm going to finish this story while starting another long story to review. Yes, I'm excited to finish this story.

So before I get into my review, here is the short description of the story.

You might think that Equestrian nights are but serene exhibitions of Luna's work on the sky. You may believe that you can just lay out on the grass and admire the beautiful stars as a warm evening breeze caresses your mane. And you would be wrong.

Equestria is a magical place, and where there is magic, there is chaos. Dead rising from their graves, inanimate objects coming to life, strange apparitions making your foal cry in her room... sounds familiar? No? Then I'm doing my job right.

I'm Twilight Sparkle, and I work the Night Shift.

Review:

Setting:
There are a few things that we need to keep in mind. This story will show no knowledge of the events in season three and four. It only goes up to the events from season 2 and 1, so do keep that in mind.

When it comes to the 'Dark' Rating that I usually don't mention in 'M' rated fics... this one is an adventure type dark. Something is building up, and you want to know what it is, yet you don't want to find out either. You are giving things to ponder like a double life, and a strict code that will be enforced to the letter. It's like being controlled, but presented in a unique way. So, when you go to read this story, sit down and enjoy the words that are written on the pages.

Execution:

This story is told in the realm between beige prose and purple prose. We get just enough information to carry on through the story, but enough is untouched to let us use our imagination as well. I approve of this, simply because I believe that if the reader is being spoon fed information... they should just read text books.... ya, aren't I a jerk.

Something ells to know about this story is that it leaves questions out in the wild where everyone can see. You are going to wonder what this thing is, and those questions will help pull you through the story. They are not placed in each chapter but rather in each separate story.

There are short stories as you read through the plot, as there should be. Each little adventure important on finding out more information... or getting more questions, I personally love this. In the long run, you are excited to find everything out, but you are also into what horror will be found next.

Now, I'm not sure if this is just me... but often times when reading through this I come across the sad realization that I have no Idea what exactly is happening. When the action sequence starts, I feel like I'm just being told what is going on. That is the way I feel anyway, just being told that the ponies are running out of there. or that Twilight tried to teleport but couldn't. (Random examples that may not be in the story.) That is probably one of the largest things I found.

Some people might think they found plot holes in the story, but the mystery of why is either there to stay and boggle you mind, like a true dark story... or will be answered in the end. If it were any other story, I would go "Ya, rip apart the flaws... but not this story. Let it stay and make the tapestry more beautiful.

Grammar

Seriously... I'm not in this to find grammar errors, and the fact this story was featured in EQD means there is not allot to find. If you want to find the errors and make this gem better, then go read the story. You most likely won't regret it.

Rating

So, I can say right now. Not everyone will like this story, not everyone will enjoy the story like I am (Because I'm still reading it). But I will still recommend every person to at least try this story out. It puts a whole new perspective on everything in the MLP:FIM world. With that said, prepare for the ride.

I give this story an

{You Must Read This Story!}

~Make Life an Adventure~
Mr. Flare

Rinnaul
Group Admin

This was one of the first stories I ever read on FIMFic. At the time, we were getting close to my wife's due date, so before we went to the hospital to await the birth of our son, I joined the site, added a bunch of stories I wanted to read to my RIL list, and signed in on her Nook to occupy myself while we waited.

I don't recall if this was among the ones I started with in the RIL, since those were mostly from Chris's blog, or if I picked it up off of the Feature box.

Either way, I didn't like it at the time. I found the basic premise questionable (why would hunting monsters be a secret in a magical setting where monsters are a regular threat?), the characters very off-model (Twilight and Luna in particular), and the character's actions poorly considered (sure, you protect the secret organization, but in exchange you permanently disable the Elements).

I think I'll give it another read, at least in part, to see if my opinion has changed with time, but honestly I don't expect it to.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

That opinion probably won't change, but I have not finished the story yet to confirm.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3