MoWverse 353 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
tallestbrony
Group Admin

This is for an in depth look into the social and historical background of the Griffin Colonies: 4130 for Man of War. Though every topic may not be covered looked into completely at this moment, additions will be added as time goes on. If you have any questions, or wish to have something brought up, feel free to post a question.

Fatherland

The Griffin Colonies are located in what was Europe and the west border of Russia, as well as small parts of the middle east. Borders with the Soviet Bear Union have contested ownership for countless generations, and only recently has a long term peace been sustained. Like wise, the border with the Minotaur tribes has been contested as well, though the fighting there has been minimal in comparison.

War has been present in the G.C. for as long as the nation has been united, circa 2276. Before the unification the nation was divided between four kingdoms. Though they often fought one another, Ulfic Sotmmind was able to finally work out a deal to unify the kingdoms and create the Colonies. Shortly after the creation of the colonies, Ulfric was appointed into the Executive throne for life.

The Bears have pushed from the east and the Minotaurs have pushed from the south west countless times throughout history. But every time the griffins find one way or another to persevere, though their own campaigns against their aggressors typically meet similar fates.

Of Absolute Mind

The Griffin Colonies have a democracy, of sorts. Elected officials make up the Den of Representatives while royalty dating back to before the unification makes up the Den of Nobility. These two make up the Legislative branch. The Executive branch has been an appointed seat since 2277. The judicial branch is made up of varying levels of courts, going from local, state and supreme. The Supreme Court houses seven official who dedicate their lives to the study and practice of law, typically chosen from the Den of Representatives but not restricted to others of merit. A system of checks and balances keeps each branch safeguarding the other branches, while public elections determine who stays in office.

The four states get their names from the original capitals of the old kingdoms. They are Lionsheart in the east, Eagleton in the mid-east, Birdaly in the mid-west, and Liverpond in the west. Each of these old nations remain as the capitals of the new states and were unified after the Great Griffin War of 2269. At the end of the bloody conflict Ulfric Stormmind came with his radicalist followers and overthrew each of the kingdoms. His influence in the prior nations was little to none, as he believed in a 'paws off' approach. This changed during the conflict when his lover at the time -a griffin commoner- died in a siege.

The Union was weak at first, due to bad blood from generations of fighting. It was soon decided that Ulfric would rule over the nation, though he refused absolute power. Stating:

I did not over through the war chiefs of old, to create the greatest war chief of all. I am, and that is all.

With his new found role leadership in the Griffin Colonies, Ulfric has become a deity of sorts to the griffins. With power unknown to the world, and longevity of life, many came to his throne in worship of the Great Sphinx. Each time he persists that he is not a so called deity, but still preaches to those that listen.

I have lived as many before me have. I simply continue on after their time. If something I say can improve the lives of those I watch over, then why not speak. I am a servant to the people, they are my duty. If I can effect their lives with simple words, then I shall speak.

Eagles, Owls, and Hawks

Three races make up the majority of the population of the Griffin Colonies. Though the nations have been divided in the past, the three races have been on every side of the conflict.

The Eagles are the predominant species of the G.C. Stocky and agile, they have become acclimated to the cold weather of the G.C. The Eagles were often called the coast birds, due to early settlements usually being placed near bodies of water.

The Owls are the rarest of the three species, though they are still a common site. In olden times they were called the woodland birds, due to their affinity to forested areas. Owls also tend to be smarter than their counterparts.

The Hawks are the fastest of the three races. Being lighter than their counterparts, they were called the mountain birds due to their affinity to heights. They also were the first to create a cloud city in the G.C.

Dissent between the three races has never really been issue. Though there are the stereotypes each have; like Hawks being twitchy or owls being eggheads, the griffins have remained open minded with their own kind.

A Kiss of Liberty

The Griffin Colonies are filled with a proud people with a deep sense of independence. Though there are many individual mindsets, many cultural niches can be found through out the nation.

Though there are classes of nobility, commoners have the capacity to rise through the ranks and be equal to people of that ranking. Because of this, a sense of opportunity and hope keep the people optimistic and open minded. From the outside looking in, it appears as if the griffins take any opportunity they can get, as if they can't sit still for too long. In actuality it's a sense of destiny learned from the teachings of Ulfric. Doors open for a reason, and you'll only find out why if you go through them.

To an outsider, the griffins of the G.C. may come across as forthcoming in their attractions. Society as a whole has come to this mind set due to the lack of easily attained affection. Because they have beaks, they can't kiss. Because of this they have to find other ways to show their affection. This includes, but is not limited to: hugging, holding claws, touching wings/rumps/tails, nuzzling, and purring. Because many of these actions are more stimulating, sex has become more socially acceptable. It is not uncommon for couples to procreate with friends within the vicinity. Parents may also pass down personal knowledge and information to their young.

Peace of Mind

Before there was time, all thought floated through space without purpose. One fateful day, a spark ignited creation. From here, life as we know it has come to be. You exist as an extension of this original thought. When you pass on, your mind goes to this Greater Thought to create new life. If you were evil though, your mind stays behind where it attempts to find absolution for its sins. If you are not careful in this purgatory, the demons of the darkness will drag your mind to the bowels of hell to rot for eternity. Ulfric was created to guide those lost to the dark recesses of their minds. He guides them to the light and shows them the path to the Great Thought.

Ulfric denies these accusations of godhood. But that doesn't stop him from trying to guide his people to better themselves. If he doesn't, they fall to their vices and will lose themselves. If he does too much, they become dependent on him. Because of this he has learned to give a gentle touch. With few words come fewer meanings. To think before speaking and speak what he is thinking.

Basic Facts

Population: Just over twelve million

Female to Male ratio: 1.5/1

Average Height: 4'6"

Largest City: Griffindor

Largest Export: Iron

Largest Import: Weather Clouds

Native Language: Griffin (breton)

shame that they are going to have to start an epic war. But still EPIC WAR! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And once again, I'm impressed by the world you have created :moustache:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3