FIMFiction Emote Extender 69 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Sorry for the long wait for the update, guys! Everything in my life kind of exploded all at once. Since everything is non-functional, I'll be scrapping the script yet again and re-writing it. This time I'll be looking into making it a browser plugin (but no promises)—one for Firefox and one for Chrome (with a possibility for Internet Explorer as well). That'll mean less browser compatibility problems. I'll also be using knowledge I've picked picked up at my fancy new programming job to really tune the performance of the extension to be as fast as possible so you can get to commenting and reading your ponyfics sooner. Worst case scenario will be an update just after the new year, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make it earlier than that.

Awesome! I do miss those emotes. :D

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Spent the last couple of hours exploring creating a Firefox add-on. It looks like I'll be able to vastly simplify the creation of new emote scripts and have them all be centrally managed instead of being individual scripts. For example, the new format will be JSON and will likely look similar to the following:

{ "name" : "Appletastic", "author" : "KrazyTheFox", "emoteTables" : [ { "shortName" : "AJ", "longName" : "Applejack", "numberOfEmotes" : 1, "emotes" : [ [ "http://i.imgur.com/NBEDt.png", "ajlie" ] ] }, { "shortName" : "AB", "longName" : "Apple Bloom", "numberOfEmotes" : 1, "emotes" : [ [ "http://i.imgur.com/ab30Fs.png", "abwat" ] ] } ] }

Nothing is finalized yet, of course, but I've already created enough of a browser plugin to parse any number of these scripts and display the details back to me in a more readable fashion. Translating that into usable emotes won't be terribly difficult.

Once I'm more familiar with the way Firefox's add-ons work, I'll start looking into creating a Chrome extension, too. Sadly, none of the available frameworks for cross-browser extension writing looked like they were any good, so I'll have to maintain two separate extensions. Hopefully that won't be too much work.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I've made some huge progress with the Firefox version of the add-on. I can currently add and toggle modules on and off as well as insert emotes into text areas, much like older versions. Since it's now a browser add-on instead of a script all of the super-hack-y ways of getting things to work are no longer necessary. I also have much more control over the look and feel of things. Take a look:

This add-on takes a lazier approach than the old script as it only loads and inserts emote images when needed and not all at the start. This makes pages load almost as if the extender wasn't even there. I should be able to put up a beta version of the Firefox add-on by the end of the weekend. I'm getting very close with it.

3983217 So that mean we don't need Greasemonkey anymore? It's literally the only thing I use Greasemonkey for, so if I can uninstall it I will do so.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Correct. Greasemonkey and tampermonkey will both be completely replaced.

3984479 Sweet. off they go.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7