The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Bad Horse
Group Contributor

I've told RogerDodger this before, but I'm not interested in writing speedfics.
1 day to write 1000 words is basically a speedfic.
In 12 years, we've had maybe one writeoff that didn't have an absurdly short time limit on writing.
And the website's software doesn't even send me a notice about an "upcoming" writeoff until many hours after it's begun.

I will never participate in another "1 day to write" writeoff; it's too stressful and too hard to schedule around, and the resulting fics aren't very satisfying.
Why can't we have a write-off with a decent amount of time to write?
Especially when artists get days to draw one picture!

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

The next:

Original fiction contest, according to the Writeoff schedule page, has the writing start on Feb. 9th and run through Feb. 14th. It's one of those contests where the artists go first and we have to pick a picture to write a story around. The next Pony story contest looks like it starts Mar. 2nd and runs through Mar. 7th, and that's one where the writers go first.

Mike

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

Well, those are longer time limits, but they're for longer stories. 5 days is not much for a 6000+ word story; not for me, anyway. (Stories on the short end of the range are legal, but usually not competitive.) It's about the same words-per-day as the 1-day 800-word story.

I can write 2000 idea-to-final-draft words a day, max; and that's on one good day, and only if I do nothing else all day.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Stories on the short end of the range are legal, but usually not competitive.

There are only:

Three or four people left entering these days. I only managed to enter one fiction contest all last year, though I did get in on three of the poetry contests...

Mike

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4