The Royal Equestrian NAVY! 88 members · 20 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Storm Seas
Group Admin

Hey all, Storm Seas here.

Here is the debrief, I'm going on a Mission for two years and the only contact is email. I know you're all thinking , 'what!' or something along those lines but, hey, It's okay. Being a member of the LDS faith is about putting your faith into action, and that is what I'm doing. So for two years, I'm off the grid, with the exception of email.

So this is my final hurrah, and I thought it would be interesting to give everypony some advice for the next two years of stories. I'm not being critical, and this is to help everypony become better.

Here is the first point that I've noticed, and one I suffer from too. I refer to is as the GOD MOD. Having really cool and powerful ships is always a plus, but sometimes we all over do it. The ships I've seen and the ones we have all read about (even the Schornhorse) all are to a certain degree GM-ed and I think we all lose a bit when we take out ships into impossible situations and win with minimal damages. So for all you who really want to add that sense of realism to your stories, tone back on the over the top armor and hyper-powerful guns and missiles and instead take a few minutes and do some back ground research into what you really want to do. Stories based totally on fiction are usually worse then those who take reality into account and then throw it out the window!

Secondly, characters. I know nopony really has the problem with the, 'alicorn OCs' but there are still huge Mary Sues out there. (Don't believe me, try it.) That means we all need to tone it down on the GM characters and instead dish out the powers and throw some character flaws in. that makes it for a much more interesting story and, i think, a better read.

Third, HiE. This concept is sound and ever since 'The Moive' (you know the one) it has become common place, but seriously ponies? I think more than half of the stories out there are one where the humans enter Equestria and have no problems with talking magical ponies. Really? I would flip biscuts if that happened to me, and that's a good reaction. If a warship truly left our world to another they would be very wary of anything they found there and it would take lots of trust to start any cooperation. A good example is the Destroyerman series. That is how you do inter-world travel fillies and gentlcolts.

Fourth, I know lots of you have pony/human crewed ships, and that all fine and dandy, but very few, if not only one or two, actually have stories. Write them out guys! There is enormous potential out there if you only took ten to twenty minutes ans wrote them down. Eoin Colfer said that to be a good writer you need to practice everyday, even for a few minutes. So lets all take that one to heart and start writing!

And fifth, Originality. I have seen lots of modified ships of classes we all know and love, but not very many new or original ships. I challenge you all to make something new, something that isn't just a copy paste and edit of a real ship. Dig deep into the actual mechanics and produce a ship that is turely amazing, yet familiar. Use the 30/70 concept from Disney's Treasure Planet. The way they made that movie was to create something 30% familiar and 70% new. I think if you all tried, you could come up with some amazing ships and the storied that go behind them.

Finally, team work. Running the Royal Equestrian RP in the group the Royal Equestrian Navy has given me so many ideas. The way we talked together there and had to anticipate each others thoughts and motives created a plethora of ideas and a sound story. I think you should all try it, it helps.

So this is my finally post/blog/thread for two years and I hope to come back and find that the Naval History of Equestria and Her mighty warships and crews have all gone on to being better, tougher, more realistic, and above all, more personal, and that there are many new and exciting stories for us all to enjoy.

This is Storm Seas, signing off. (For now)

Pferdesport Königliche Marine, immer nach vorn!
Equestrian Royal Navy, Always Forward!

Railroad Brony
Group Contributor

I wish you calm seas and smooth sailing my friend! Be sure not to shoot an albatross!

Well hope you have a nice time. (see you in two years)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4