Pregnancy 1,948 members · 1,293 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Have any of you guys ever seen a story written on this site where two mares conceive a foal by way of gene splicing... using one mare's haploid egg cells to fertilize the other mare's haploid egg cell? Perhaps joining them together by way of futa?

I'm a bit of a biology nerd, and this question occurred to me... :derpytongue2:

Theoretically, two females have the biological capacity within their genes to create a viable offspring, due to both having two X chromosomes and the "mother" having the biological set-up to gestate a child. Their are two problems with this at first glance. The first is obviously bringing the two egg cells together (anatomy). The second is that, during the process of fertilization, paternal genes activate certain maternal genes and vice versa. There is also the possibility that the "donor" egg cell, when united with the "recipient" egg cell, will not cross over properly during fertilization. This would result in not enough or incorrect gene combinations and no viable zygote.

However... with a combination of magic/gene-splicing I could see this happening in the MLP universe.

Has a story containing any of this ever been written on this site? If so, what is it? I would be interested to read. :scootangel: If not, would anyone be interested in reading something like this?

Nerdy biology links that prompted this random thread!

Same Sex Fertilization: UCSB Science Line
How to make babies without a man: Australian Telegraph
Can two human haploid cells make a baby? Yahoo Answers
Mice embryo experiments: The Daily Mail
Are human egg cells haploid or diploid? Wiki Answers

i've seen where a futa impregnates another mare, or a mare changes gender and does, but i don't think a science version has been done because equestria's tech normally isn't suggested to be that good per say

Sadie
Group Admin

It's funny, I've often mused about this very theory quite a few times with others. I haven't actually found a situation in which I want to use such a process, but it's interesting nonetheless.

That's a pretty good point.

Very much so. Do you think it would be interesting to see in a story, or would it kinda bog it down?

Sadie
Group Admin

Well, I think the level of depth that would presumably go into writing something like this could bog down a lot of stories, unless the specific focus is on the process itself. Slow isn't necessarily bad after all, it just takes some experience to ensure that it doesn't get boring.

Good points. I have a possible idea for writing something like this down the line, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! :scootangel:

Sadie
Group Admin

You know, would it be alright to sticky this as the first discussion topic for the group? It slipped my mind until now, and this certainly has a lot of potential. :pinkiehappy:

Sure! That would be great! :pinkiehappy:

I can't say I've ever seen a story go into the process in such depth, but I think it's safe to assume that the method you describe is used by any story which does not utilize any sort of gender swapping.

The closest example I can think of is bookplayer's Foal's Luck which involves no gender swapping and heavily implies the magical manipulation of egg cells, though without such technical details.

Thanks for the link! I'll have to check that story out. :moustache:

Kaminoyouni
Group Admin

Not trying to hate or anything, but really, I see this as trivializing having two genders for a means of reproducing, heck at this point the ponies might as well reproduce like parasprites and spit up a foal after eating a meal.

No offense intended, but it's just the vibe I get from ideas like this.

No offense taken.

I just see as it as an interesting idea and a way to examine different biological possibilities in a story. Plus, if this were possible, it would be great for lesbian couples who want to have each other's children.

Kaminoyouni
Group Admin

I won't lie, it's something I've thought of it once before myself, then I realized just where that line of thinking can be taken if gone to the extreme. Plus it doesn't do anything for male couples, which if the former held out, it'd probably end up breeding out the male gender entirely, again if taken to an extreme.

Then there's the fact that if its two mares, there's only the XX chromsome, resulting in only a filly, what happens if the mare's want a colt?

AnYpony made some videos examining this same kind of topic

Well, anything taken to an extreme is bad, right? :twilightsheepish:

I didn't mean this as some kind of anti-male thing. :twilightoops: It's an idea I'm considering for a story, that's all. Basically, I was wondering how two mares reproducing would actually work in a scientific sense. Most stories I've read where this happens, it's not explained very well or just chalked up to "magic". I'm a big enough of a bio nerd that that wouldn't fly for me, at least if I was writing it.

Male couples would be left out unless there was a way to use one's stem cells to create an egg cell, and then gestate the zygote in a surrogate. There's actually some research that suggests that human stem cells can be manipulated to create either gamete, actually, so it's hypothetically possible. That way, the foal would be the biological offspring of both males.

Or you could go the route of the show "The New Normal" and have both males donate sperm to the surrogate mother, in which case there would be no way beyond DNA testing to know who is the father. The show saw that as meaning both men were the father (even though that's biologically incorrect), so if it has meaning and significance to the couple, I guess that would work.

If it's two mares, the only way for them to have a colt is if some magic R63's them (like in BronyNeumo's "Confessions And Considerations") or if one's stem cells is manipulated to become an XY sperm.

I can't seem to find any videos on this either.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14