The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 57 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 57

Now y'alls are all pretty clever people, and you probably want more interesting discussion than this, but I come here and see all these usernames,and I have no idea what they mean or why you would choose such names, and I just have to know!! :raritycry:

That, and I need to validate my theory on a certain username, because it's been bugging me ever since I first laid my eyes on it. :ajsleepy: [EDIT: Which has been invalidated!]

So what's the meaning behind your username? Some of them can be pretty easily guessed, but others...

Swirlstar obviously is from Star Swirl the Bearded. But it's not because I like him. I just thought Twilight Sparkle looked really cute in this costume:

[EDIT: Yeah, looking at all of your backstories, and mine is definitely inane. I have a different username for other forums, though.]

JenkinsRevenge=JR

JR means junior, but since I am not a senior troll yet I am a junior :pinkiehappy:

That is all. Equestria is ours.

:rainbowwild::derpytongue2:

My last name is Toft and people called me Tofty in primary school all those years ago. When I got Xbox live it was a part of my gamer tag and even though nobody actually calls me it anymore I just use it or a variation of it for most of my usernames.

I "grew-up" watching Star Trek and I'm almost always the first to die/lose in video games.

No real meaning behind my username. I just thought it up one day and decided it that was as good as anything. Hell, I don't even like to drink much.

I do love me some Banjo-Kazooie, though. :eeyup:

This little vampire loli, Flandre Scarlet

I always loved fighter jets and want to fly one for the Air Force some day. Ace Combat made me think one of the coolest parts about it was the callsign (the pilot's nickname.)

The second part being that I always like Eagles; the noble, determined, patriotic look to them. I would always just see one rather than flocks, and I never really had any friends that I hung out with. So I guess I could compare myself to one; like a spirit animal or something.

Let me take ya back to a mysterious time known as last January:trollestia:. I was sitting in my room making my account, trying to come up with a name when I heard certain tune

I had left New Vegas running on my Xbox for the radio to be background noise.

... And that's how Bluemoon1996 was born:pinkiehappy:

One of the lyrics is "home to the shadows of the night." That's where my username is from.

2166113 My name "Fantasia Archsage" is well in meaning... I not really sure. But the meaning I want behind the name is to be the greatest in the fantasia realm. I want when people talk about fantasy this name right up as its meaning. How I came up with this name was well... for Fantasia, I thought of well everything that's fantasy and was completely inspired after watching the movie Fantasia 2000. For Archsage, I thought about Star Swirl the Bearded, how he was signified as one of the greatest ponies of Equestrian History, or signified greatness... But, I didn't want sorcerer, so I thought of Fire Emblem 7 and its great archsage (that forgot the name of...) and came up with that. :twilightsheepish:

"May all who visit my profile page be empowered, enlifted, and be filled with joy and amazement."

- Fantasia Archsage -

Just imagine. Simple really...

Garbo (short for Garbanzo) is a nickname I picked up in my high school running teams. 802 is the state code for my native state, Vermont. It's as simple as that.

I got my name from the CMP-150, a gun from Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. Back when I was younger and played that game, the futuristic font of the game's HUD combined with a shitty TV made the numbers seem like letters, so in the HUD it looks like it was called the CMPISO. I don't know why, but I always used to call it the Chimpso. When I signed up for a few wikis, I used that as my username, and it stuck.

That's why I'm always annoyed when people call me 'Chimp', my name has nothing to do with monkeys.

2166113 'Icebox' comes from my love of cold things, especially weather, and 'Froggie' comes from a childhood nickname (story has it I came out of the womb folded in half, like a frog preparing to jump).

Icebox + Froggie = IceboxFroggie

2166201 Yeah, one of the great Frank Sinatra songs. I loved it when it came up on New Vegas as well.

2166197 Wow, meaningful. In China they always use eagles to denote a lone wanderer as well.

2166134 Hopefully you'll begin to win some day! That or play something like the Sims :twilightsheepish:

Thanks everyone for all the responses! :pinkiehappy: it's interesting what people think up when deciding on a username. Guess it says a lot about who they are and what they want to be.

Destrustor comes from way back in the good ol' days, when my brother and I had just acquired the very thought-provoking game "Halo 2". I came up with it when the time came to create my profile name. I was aware of the cliche trend of obnoxious n00bers calling themselves things like "xXDaRkDeStRoYeR666Xx" or "Haxxorkingofdestruction" and so on, and decided to attempt to parody said n00bz.
So I went with destructor, an already incorrect word in a similar spirit of intimidation as other, more accurate words like destroyer and such.
But that would have been a practically honest attempt at creating a noobish intimidating name, and didn't feel like enough of a parody, so I changed the 'C' to an 'S', trying to evoke a flamboyantly silly lisp of sorts. I found the result quite hilarious and endearing, and it has since grown on me to the point where it is my default username for pretty much everything.
The lord part came a bit later, when it was time to create my PSN account and I found that Destrustor was already taken. I thus added 'Lord' to one-up the bastard and add a layer of ironic arrogance to this already ridiculous clusterfuck of ironically not-sincere-but-still-kinda smugness.
So yeah. I use that name because it shows just how much of a childish idiot I am.

2166113 Mine is a play off of the name I chose for Confirmation. The numbers are those I was assigned for my stint in the public school system until I graduated high school.

2166309 You put more thought into a username than I have seen in my years of playing Halo :rainbowlaugh:

2166284 Apparently I came out near-strangled by my umbilical cord. On Friday the 13th as well.

2166281 Interesting, though it's not that strange why you'd put an "I" between those two consonants. I'd probably say "Champiso" or something, reminds me of Campino Airport in Rome. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Narlepoax III
Group Admin

I was sitting, bored out of my skull in my seventh grade math class, when I decided to come up with an alternate moniker I could use on the internet.

I gave myself the rules that the name had to start with the same initial letters of my real name.

I came up with:

...~~~***xX Narlepoax Jensen Stralovich the Third. Xx***~~~...

I'm a dabbler, and made a character named Dabbler, and this was one of the first thesaurus responses for it.

2166409 Oh wow, that is both crazy and a bit of a letdown. Would you believe it if I said that your username was the one I was obsessing over? (sorry!) :twilightblush:

It went like this: I joined this group and saw your name. And for some reason, my brain immediately went into some silly word association game, and all I could think of was one word: Nabopolassar. Like I didn't even remember what that name was (I knew it was vaguely Sumerian) or why I remembered it, but it just stuck with me. I guess the name you thought up sounded vaguely Sumerian, and I had, over the summer, gone to the Sumerian exhibit in the Berlin Pergamon Museum.

By the way, Nabopolassar was a Babylonian king who brought down the Assyrian Empire. I guess I must have done some Wikipedia-ing and just happened across the name.

Ah, another one of life's great mysteries solved!

Narlepoax III
Group Admin

Ha! Yours is much better than mine.

Unfortunately, it's just gibberish that a twelve-year-old came up with.

China has an amazing amount of symbolism in it's culture.

Well...I consider myself a good strategist and planner, and someone who likes seeing other plans being put into action. This includes anything from playing chess, to reading about the strategies of militaries, to playing Civilization V, to watching a TV villain executing her plan for world domination. As such, I decided to base my username off the word "tactics".

Tactics --> TacTix --> TracTix

Not that exciting, I suppose, but I still like it. :twilightsmile:

I'm a big fan of an insanely influential fantasy series.

How influential? When they were creating D&D, Gygax and Arneson borrowed as much from Moorcock as they did from Tolkien. Fans of certain contemporary, Elric-like characters have accused Elric of being a ripoff, even though he first appeared in print approximately fifty years ago. The eight-arrowed symbol of chaos that you see in the Warhammer games and elsewhere? Moorcock came up with that. I could go on, but I think you get the idea...

2166608 Yeah, it comes out of the massive bureaucracy and spying network (sound familiar? :derpytongue2:) that Imperial China had, so a lot of what the poets and the officials said was cloaked in this symbolism in order to save themselves and their families from the chopping block. Goes on today in the Internet, what with "river crabs" and "grass mud horses".

2166676 I have to say, I've wondered a lot about your username as well, since I could not for the life of me understand why you wouldn't use Eric as a name, or where in the world Melnipony (or similar) was. Your herald-like display pic added to that.

2166650 I like reading about military strategies too, though I sucked at Civ IV (kept on doing civilian stuff and very little military). Any books or games you'd recommend?

2166113 void as in the 5th ring from the book of five ring the ring of the the mind.
and dragon an unbeatable move in go. Also because i love to build thing's I also chose this combination as a reference to the dragon of mars from warhammer 40k also known as the voiddragon.

My profile pic is the result of my attempt at ponifying Elric. I can't draw, so I had to use the Pony Creator...

Civilization, of course.

The Worldwar series, by Harry Turtledove. Crazy alternate timeline where reptilian aliens with 21st-century technology invade Earth during WWII. It's very fun seeing the Axis and Allies being forced to ally with each other, while the aliens find themselves in shock over how humans can change and adapt so fast. :rainbowwild:

And while they don't pertain to strategy very much, Metro 2033 (the book), Metro 2033 (the game) and Metro Last Light (game) are all incredible pieces of work. They're post-apocalyptic, set in the Moscow Metro which has become a shelter for the survivors of a nuclear WWIII. The games are very atmospheric; the book has its fair share of food for thought. It's too bad not a lot of people have heard about any of them. :unsuresweetie:

2167955 Nice. I'll go and look over them. :twilightsmile:

It sounds a lot like everywhere else anywhere in existence at some point in time...

Did someone mention the Alternate History Lord Mr. Turtledove?

2168145 Well, the Chinese bureaucracy was much larger than anything comparable in the world for like 2000 years :ajsmug:

When I was a child, my family would play a "guess the number" game. My great uncle, who was visiting at the time, would always guess 486 as a joke, as it was generally 0-10 or 0-100.
It exasperated my younger brother to no end, and the number has stuck with my family ever since.

2166113 The first adjective and the first noun I came up with when going for an anonymous username.

"Balthasar" is a cool-sounding name from mythology that's going to remain timeless.
"999" is to differentiate it from the people who've already taken that name, connotes reaching some kind of maximum (think hit points in Chrono Trigger), and is a reference to "Galaxy Express 999," since I was into Leiji Matsumoto when I first thought it up.

I'm a Humanist.

Its my EVE Online character's name.

It was originally going to be "Zapp Branigan". Aw, taken! That's buck!

Ok, how about "Zapp Branagain"? Nope, still taken...

How about, just "Branagain"? Whatever...

Funnily enough, I ended up bumping into "Zapp Branigan" in-game...
...and promptly blew him to smitheroons for putting me through so much trouble.

I have no idea whatsoever as to why I chose my username. Perhaps it was a character from the show but now we shall never know...:rainbowderp:

I really needed a username, and I was trying to think of something BIONICLE or Hero Factory related, but then this username popped into my head, and I thought, "oh, that'll work." And voila! :pinkiehappy:

I like freedom. I'm a geek/nerd.

When my father was a young Foreign Service Officer he served as the desk officer for Singapore. Meanwhile, in Singapore there was another officer who was assigned to talk with the Singaporean opposition, which the governing party did not like very much at all. They decided to express their displeasure at him an the US government by cooking up a story about a conspiracy against them. This other officer was declared persona non grata and thrown out of the country. Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew made a speech before the Parliament of Singapore decrying what he called the "State Department anti Singapore Clique," and its three members, Mr X, Mr Y, and Mr Z. He never outright states who these people are but his descriptions make it clear that my father, his boss, and the ejected diplomat where his intended targets. Mr Z was described as young, naive, and led astray by his wicked superiors.

Thus, I am the son of the infamous Mr Z, and take the monicker MrZJunior.

2170281 Amazing story. My granddad can also claim a connection to Lee Kwan Yew: they were on the same boat (dunno if it was the same room, I may be remembering that wrong) that was taking them to university in England.

I had no idea that Singapore ever expressed an angry word at the US :facehoof: If I remember correctly, they were always pro-US because they feared Communist insurrection, especially after Vietnam.

I'm of two minds about Lee Kwan Yew, personally. While I recognize that he had the foresight to lift Singapore into the First World, the society he created was rather disturbing, in my opinion. A financially competent technocracy... sounds like what all democracies are turning into nowadays.

It's Disneyland with the death penalty.

Diplomacy often involves these little spats like that, if only to show that one side is still truly independent of the other. This is especially important in relationships like the one between the US and Singapore where one side has a disproportionate share of power and influence.

2170340 The thought of that being our future is kind of sad.

Yeah, that's true. I love the fact that they were most charitable on your dad, though.

I can just imagine that little anecdote passing up and down the US diplomatic cables... thank you again for that story :twilightblush:

You seem very pessimistic.

Funnily enough I have never managed to find any mention of it anywhere.

2170366 Well I've told you where I live, and I think we are like at the bottom in the happiness scale. (Singapore's not that far off either, if I recall.)

Sure you haven't. Wikileaks hadn't been created yet :rainbowlaugh:

You would think the Singaporeans would have published the collected speeches of the Minister Mentor on the internet by now.

I always loved Doctor Who, and I would like to think that if I existed in that universe I would (try) to get into U.N.I.T, mainly due to the know fact in my family that I investigate paranormal phenomenon from a scientific standpoint. Doing it mainly because I am curious rather than me actually believing in ghosts. Most of the time I just end-up disproving urban ghost stories and legends. For once I actually want to find something rather me than having to tell Mr. {insert name here} from two blocks away that it's just a damned leaky pipe!

It's just a hobby I don't charge a cent...

2166113 I always forget to use this feature.

Well, one day, I decided to write a Halo/Mass Effect crossover a couple years ago (back when there were less than 100 of those on fanfiction.net) and my reasononing for doing that was that I was bored and had nothing better to do. I am also a human. Thus, to describe me, I wrote up the name boredhooman. However, I can't just spell it plainly as a username. So, to make it stand out as a name and not just the regular words "bored" and "human", I combined them, always low-caps, and spelled phonetically.

And then about a year later I deleted it because it was shit and haven't actually written anything good until my newest fic here.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 57