The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

There's no doubt that Earth Ponies are real-but, Pegasi , Phoenixes, and Minotaurs are derived from Greek mythology, Manticores are from Persion mythology, while Unicorns and Dragons are from European mythology.

Tartarus (what is presumed to be Pony Hell by some) is also a location inspired.

Are there any other mythological or inspired creatures or locations you believe to exist in Equestria? :rainbowhuh:

Eastern dragons are also present. Steven Magnet is clearly a Chinese river dragon, despite being identified as a sea serpent.

Sphynx may be an existing race in the world of MLP. It comes from the assyrian and egyptian mythology. They were depicted by Equestria prevails on Deviant Art.

Right Here!

It could be a breeding of pegasus and griffon who became a true species.

1665618 That's true I remember thinking along those lines upon watching the series pilot.

That's an interesting theory, I bet you could write an entire fic based around it if you really wanted to! :twilightsmile:

:pinkiegasp:

I also just remembered that in the Bronies documentary, Lauren confirmed that in addition to Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation she had also based Discord's character design from the mythological Chimera from Greek mythology as well as the Griffons being based upon (you guessed it) the Griffons (once again) from Greek mythology.

Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

Manticores are from Persion mythology

Thank you! Finally someone who doesn't mistakenly believe Manticores are from Greek mythology!
Seriously people, is it that hard to Google the damn thing? I mean, it's not as though information about it is difficult to find!

Sorry, Sphynx is already an idea exploited in the story of one of my friends. I won't do it, I'm already too busy doing my own universe right now D:

Other creature that could live in Equestria, the gulon from Norse mythology. Because of its black and furry fur and its cat traits it could be a creature of the darkness, mares tell their fillies and colts about to scare them and force them to eat their soup.

"They lurk in every shadow and will come for you if you're a bad filly!"

Kind of Equestrian boogey man.

1665822 I thought they were at first, but I try to make it a habit to double-check my facts before making a statement like that.

Which makes sense, because I've heard of Manticores before in other media but, my bro has an entire book on Greek mythology (which he became extremely interested while playing the God of War games) and it doesn't mention a thing about those creatures...so I'm glad I checked wikipedia first. :twilightsheepish:

I think there's probably room in Equestria for various types of elementals (which come from multiple cultures, to the best of my knowledge).

1665843 Like the Headless Horse which may or may not be real or something completely (and obviously) fictional, like Slenderman?

:rainbowhuh:

In other words; do you believe that it should really exist, have it's existence purposely left ambiguous, or have it be just a fake for the sole purpose of scaring children into behaving?

It might be existing but in fact, aside from their scary appearance they should be real sweetheart. But everypony would be running away from them. Because they live in the north, it should be a Crystal Pony's "tale", based on a true species who remains isolated and okay with it.

Sort of like the Manticore in the pilot, Zecora in Bridle Gossip or Luna Eclipsed where the people/creatures are real but, people just blow things out of proportion because they're different?

I think Elementals are a bad idea as a natural thing. It might be created by magic but making them a species isn't very legit because will come the questions of procreation and adaptability to environment.

If Fire Elementals would exist naturally, you would have to explain why Equestria isn't a bare and scorched land.

Exactly.

Tie them to existing locations, without having the ability to expand them. Fire Elementals would live in volcanoes. No one worries about Water Elementals flooding everything...

In what sense?

Elementals like Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Ice, Lightning, etc. such as the Windigos.

Or are you referring to the mythological origins of said creatures? :rainbowhuh:

I don't think Applejack would approve that "Flooding is a topic no one care about". Remember Discord and the beavers moment ^^.

Actually come to think of it; Chrysalis said in 'Canterlot Wedding' that Equestria had more love than any place the Changelings had ever encountered before and in 'Hearth's Warming Eve' the Windigos were nourished by hatred...and we've never actually seen them since the play, it was really just teased that they were outside when the Mane Six were still fighting afterwards.

So...did love cause the Windigos to go extinct in Equestria? :rainbowhuh:

I didn't say no one cares about it, I said no one worries about it. If the world is safe from Water Elementals extending their borders, why wouldn't the same be true of the Fire Elementals?

Any sense you like, really. :pinkiesmile:

It's possible. But what if, instead of going extinct, they were just driven off, as they were in the play? The entirety of Equestria is untouchable as far as Windigos are concerned. So maybe they lurk just over the border... to the north, for instance. In the frozen wasteland that used to belong to the Crystal Empire city-state. There are all sorts of possibilities.

Actually the origin of the Windigos is even darker than I thought; Windigo

That's right, demonic entities believe to have possessed people and coined the medical term 'wendigo psychosis' or 'cannibal/zombie disease'

(Unsurprisingly dark and cynical for Merriwether Williams episode)

Which, implies that the actual Windigo's portrayed wouldn't have just killed the original founders of Equestria-but drive them insane and compel them to kill and eat each other.

OR

They were already thinking about doing so after being trapped in a cave for so long, and they found this a more child-friendly way to portray the scenario. :pinkiecrazy:

Like said Mila Jovovich, "Water wets, Fire burns". And I don't think that anypony would trade being wet to being burnt.

So enough said ^^

I prefer the childish way of thinking, keep the innocence within the show! :raritydespair: don't spoil and soil it with dark and grim thoughts!

:twilightsheepish:

Sorry, I was just fascinated with the origins of the creatures and to be perfectly frank (the episode's writer Merriwether Williams has a bad habit of put extremely dark and pessimistic themes and episodes in children's series like MLP and Spongebob)

I just couldn't believe they got away with that...but, then again I doubt most of their intended demographic is all that interested in the shows creative process.

I don't know if it would really fit in, but Selkies seem like an obvious choice for a monster.

On a different note, Unicorns are often depicted with goat-like traits. What if the three tribes evolved from different base stock, and only the Earth Ponies are truly Equine?

On a lighter note:

Mythology is fun and learning about it is a great way to come up with monster ideas! :pinkiehappy:

In most of the fics I've read, Pegasi seemed to have more emphasis on bird-like traits due to their feathered wings and Rainbow Dash's friendship with Gilda...connection, perhaps? :trixieshiftright:

You're not the only one who caught that, there's no doubt in my mind that creature was inspired by the legend of 'Sleepy Hollow' (which is an awesome Johnny Depp/Christopher Walken film by the way). :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23