The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Okay, first of all...it seems as if there hasn't been many posts in this group recently. But I had an idea, and if anyone wants to discuss it, feel free, of course!

Anyway, crap has layers. Just like ogres. And onions. And cake. This idea's been buzzing around in my head for nearly twenty-four hours, and I thought I'd explain somewhere.

I was originally going to put this in the comment section of a story I and many others hated, but I felt it would be too long and would seem clunky. I ended up commenting other things instead.

Oh, and before you ask, for the writer's protection, I'm not going to relate his name or the name of his story. I don't want people attacking him. Besides, his story no longer exists.

So basically, I came up with the idea that crap--as in, crappy media like movies or fanfictions--comes in layers, or levels. There's no single definition of crappy media. There are different layers--I've thought of three so far.

Layer one is plain crap. It's still crap, and you don't want to be around it, but it's usually somewhat tolerable and boring. This applies to, well, real crap and crappy media. An example of a "plain crap" movie would be this awfully boring animated flick I watched years back called The True Story of Puss in Boots (it's not the Dreamworks version, IMDb page here). If you want to be bored out of your mind, watch it. I suppose a more recent example might be the Assassin's Creed movie from 2016 (IMDb page here)--I thought it was boring and fell asleep in the theater, though granted, some people like it, like my cousin, who was in the theater with me. Anyway...

Layer two is extra-concentrated crap. This is like when (spoiler cover for gross description) your dog craps on the floor, then eats it. Then he throws it up. Then he eats that. Then, later, he craps that out, and then tries to eat the crap again. In media, it's when something is just so irredeemably awful and distasteful that people want to drop a nuke on it. Say, if a sensitive subject was handled extremely poorly. From what I've heard, a movie example might be Freddy Got Fingered (though I haven't seen it, I know enough about it to know that I don't want to; IMDb page here).

Layer three is fossilized dinosaur crap, or what many people like to call "so bad it's good". You know, when something passes the boundary of badness and becomes hilariously bad. Something like the fanfic My Immortal or the movie The Room (IMDb page here).

I call it fossilized dinosaur crap because...well, when paleontologists find it, they're usually very happy, as it's valuable to science and they can learn a lot from it. Similarly, when we find fossilized dinosaur crap media, we're often very happy. It's still crap, but it's good crap. We can enjoy its badness, and we can learn from it. "Yeah, see Tommy Wiseau's acting in The Room? Now don't do that."

By the way, a photo of fossilized dinosaur crap for your convenience, if you've never heard of it:

So...yeah. I guess this "crap has layers" thought process was an epiphany of sorts, and I wanted to discuss it somehow.

Thoughts?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1