Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

Giraffe

"Oh! Well, that's weird, right? And then there’s the giant..."

"The giraffe, though old books call them camelopards. Zecora calls them giraffes. She told me about them, and she didn't like them..."

"She did? She didn’t, I mean? Was it because he's so big?"

"There are many giants living in zebra lands, beings like rhinos and hippos, and Zecora didn’t seem to fear or dislike them. I'm certain it wasn't just that they’re big. She spoke in hushed words, as if the giraffes could see and hear her. She then said that they might, and tried to explain their special magic as something of both me and her. I guess she meant unicorn mind-magic and zebra artificiery. I’ve never known Zecora to be cowardly or superstitious, so there must be something to it."- Twilight speaking to Spike about the Zebra's superstition of giraffes.

“I want to buy a dose of the counteragent for your shrinking powder. How much?”

“I’m not selling.”

“Why?”

“First, the ingredients to the shrinking powdeh ah raeh, so I cannot get new ones heh, and without the counter agent it’s much less useful. Second, because I don’t like you!”

“One of your fellow crewmembers are suffering the torments of Tartarus because of your powder. Have you now mercy on the poor pegasus?”

“Mercy is foh the weak.”

“He sails the ship with you! He’s your companion!”

“He’s only himself to blame, I owe him nothing!”

“There is no reasoning with you, is there?”

“No, theh isn’t. I’m right, is all.”

“You are weak, don’t you know that, Mr. Motelele?”

“Weak? I can END you!”

“No, you can’t, and yes, you are weak, and in danger. Do you want help with that?”

“I’m mighty in both flesh and spirit! I need no one! You least of all!”

“Yet you have made yourself weak! Look at you! Why would I need your paltry secrets, they are easily discerned from observing you. Like your name. ‘Motelele’ means something like ‘long and gangly’ in Nuuban. No giraffe names their child something like that. It would be like naming a pegasus ‘Wings’. Now, pirates often give up their names since they are wanted criminals, but I don’t think that’s it, since you are such a proud giraffe. I think you’re afraid of telling people your name because of that old superstition that it gives them power over you! Now, modern zebra magic dismisses that notion for most form of magics not involving spirits. It won’t affect most spells I know, for instance, neither those powders you carry around. So, needless superstition. However, what you have there’s not mere superstition. That’s a special fetish to attract malicious magic away from the target. Any hostile magic will affect that poppet instead. I’m pretty certain it will stop most forms of magic, including the effects of something like zebra artificiery. I can feel its power. Real clever! Requires hard work. Too bad it’s used wrong. Don’t you understand you’re not supposed to keep those on your body? And why do you need it on board ship? There are no other mages there to murder you. And oh yes, you’re afraid of murder, since you’re such a massive jerk who’re unable to cooperate with your crewmates, who just, oh, happen to be violent criminals, you’re constantly afraid, which makes you jumpy, uncertain and weak! Look at him, Spike!” she said. “It’s clearly visible in the way he walks and on his face that he’s stopped sleeping. How long has it been, Mr Tall And Gangly? Four months, five? Wonder how I know it? You stink of it! Not even your breath, ‘cause that’s too far away, but you’re sweating stimulants. Do you know how much this lack of real sleep and those hyper-caffeine potions you’re swilling slows down your reasoning, your reaction speed... your magical power? I bet you’re operating at sixty to seventy percent, tops. At hundred you might’ve beaten me. Now, you’ve no chance.”

“I’ve got my talisman!”

“Puh-lease! I’ve just learned about it and have already devised three ways to counteract it. You know how? Because I’m adapting and learning. You know how? By cooperating with other mages. That, among other things, taught me to avoid superstition for proven magics, how to actually utilize talismans, and the harmful side effects of constant potion use. And would you look at that trampling around? Why do you have to face me all the time? Can’t you defend yourself otherwise? I don’t need to look at my target, and you don’t win much by sidestepping anyway, you’re just making yourself uncoordinated.”

“You’ve got all this potential and you’re wasting it when you need it the most, since the Captain obviously has it in for you. I could help you with this... in return for very little. Such as a certain counteragent. You still not interested?”

“No!”- Twilight talking to Mr. Motele, a giraffe Pirate, and outlining common giraffe superstitions.

The giraffe are an erudite race, usually writers, librarians, or assistants often found in the employ of scientists, archeologists or other academic fields. Their capacity for knowledge is rivaled only by their limited imagination and superstitious nature.

Giraffes have three talents, being capable of magic, zebra artificery, and a power called Sight, which varies from individual to individual, ranging from seeing a being's "true self" to being able to see ghosts.

It is an interesting fact that northern giraffes are said to be the most educated and civilized creatures in Zebrica. To represent that, they have a very 'Trottingham' look that they have adopted, as well as Trottish accents and a very cultured upbringing compared to their southern relatives.

Swamp Giraffe

Often found slogging through Zebrican marshes, Swamp giraffes are not as tall or magically gifted as their savannah cousins.

Okapi

The Okapi are a race that inhabit regions of both dense and sparse jungle in Zebrica. They are most well known for their reclusive tendencies and over-protectiveness of their homes.

2680568 You mean lie the greatest animals ever?!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4