Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Epic Brony 4 Life
Group Admin

Fanon Image:

I would like to say, first and foremost, that I HATE Dark Reckoning's backstory, mostly because it has next to no originality. Please don't hate me for this, but I still feel that Dark Reckoning would be awesome if he had a better backstory.

Based on the information I gathered from a few hundred blogs and posts scattered across the internet, Dark Reckoning is the completely overpowered god-like King of Tartarus. I say god-like because his backstory actually has him born as a unicorn. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Our story begins in the Crystal empire, where King Sombra has just been given a prophecy foreshadowing his inevitable defeat. Sombra, enraged by the prophecy, is about to kill (insert random powerful character name here), when (insert same random powerful character name here) continues to say that the one that will attain power greater than that of any good will not be Sombra, but his foal, and that, through his actions, that foal will grow to be the world's greatest shining light, or the herald of its destruction. Sombra is pleased by the news, but still kills (insert same random powerful character name here).

Fast forward six months. Black Star (AKA another random powerful character), a non-crystal unicorn with an unnatural affinity for black magic, finds here way into the Crystal Empire, and by complete chance, runs into and offends King Sombra. Sombra attacks her, and in the ensuing battle Black Star is forced to use her darker magic. However, this is not enough to stop Sombra who overpowers Black Star, but instead of killing her, takes her as his captive wife, and repeatedly rapes her until he is sure she is pregnant.

Fast forward again. Celestia and Luna are confronting Sombra, the city is practically a war zone, and in the ensuing chaos, Black Star uses her black magic to escape before the city disappears. Tired, and 8 months pregnant, she makes her way back to her home in Nightfall (my alternate to the Everfree Forest, since that is so generic and overused). For the first time in months, she cries about all she had to go through in the Crystal Empire, including the fact she now carries Sombra's foal, but after a long cry, decides to stop practicing black magic, and moves to Trottingham, in an attempt to give her foal a normal life, and not have him turn out like his father. (Anyone wanna guess how that turns out?:unsuresweetie:)

Fast forward three months. Black Star has just given birth, and to her horror, her foal immediately displays not only a greater aptitude for black magic than her (indicated by a flock of crows swarming around the hospital), but he also has inherited his father's dark magic (indicated by the black crystals that grow out of the blanket he's wrapped in). To prevent his power from becoming known, Black Star kills the doctor and nurses (with magic), injures herself, and uses blood magic to seal away a large portion of her son's power. She names her newborn colt Darkligh Shine( how imaginative and original:ajbemused:) to reflect both his affinity for darkness and her hopes that he will turn out for the better.

Over the course of his foalhood, Black Star raises Darklight to be a kind, outgoing, overall good pony. She teaches him how to control his darker magic, and also manages to have a life of her own: she meets, dates and eventually marries (insert random stallion name here), and eventually has two more foals by said stallion. All seems well....

....until his 16th birthday (How clique can it get?:unsuresweetie::twilightangry2:)

On his 16th birthday, the Darklight goes out to eat with his family. On the way back, they run into some of the Royal Guard, one of whom stops Black Star. After scrutinizing her for a few moments, the guard waves them off. They return home, only to have the same Royal Guards bust in, along with the Royal Pony Sisters themselves. They reveal that they were also aware of the prophecy (How, I can only guess), and had been trying to track her down, because Sombra (like any generic villain) told them exactly what he did, and gloated that his son would bring about the end of all life. Celestia and Luna attempt to take Darklight into their custody (apparently this is far enough back to were they both lack empathy or sympathy skills), both Black Star and (insert random stallion name here) fight back, and in the struggle (insert random stallion name here) is killed by the Royal Guards, and Luna decides it'd be easier to kill Darklight that risk his existence. Black Star jumps in the way, gets killed, and Darklight snaps. The seal on his magic shatters, and the resulting release of power vaporizes the Royal Guards, the entire house, and blasts both Princesses back. He is transported to Nightfall, were he begins his dark quest for revenge.

For the next two years, Darklight spends his time wandering all over Equus (the name I'm giving the planet for now), slaying all manner monsters, demons, and anything else both malicious and evil, using his Godslayer-tier dark magic to rip out their energy (spiritual, magical, life, etc.) to bolster his own. He also used his powers to hide himself from Celestia and Luna's prying eyes, until such a time as he felt he was strong enough.

On the eve of his 18th birthday, Darklight dispelled the dozens of magical barriers concealing his godly powers, and waited for the Royal Pony Sisters to make their appearance. He didn't have to wait long, and in the battle between gods, the area known as the Badlands tripled in size (:rainbowderp: well shit son). However, despite their best efforts, Celestia and Luna were eventually overpowered by Darklight, but instead of dealing the final blow, Darklight proceeded to gloat (:ajbemused:) and allowed Celestia and Luna's students, his own half-brother and sister (yes:ajbemused:, I see the gapping plot hole in this), to finish setting up Celestia's real plan. Having already known they stood little chance against Darkling in a head on fight to the death, Celestia and Luna had set up a super complex series of binding and sealing spells, placing the spells into several sets of crystal runes.

Too exhausted from his fight with the Royal sisters, Darklight was captured and sealed away in what would come to be known as Tartarus. Before he was sealed away, he proclaimed to both sisters that, should he ever escape, his release would be the hour of reckoning for all of Equus, and not only would he destroy them, but the sun, moon, and everything they ever had a hand in bringing into the world.

... yes that some overpowered, unoriginal shenanigans

Epic Brony 4 Life
Group Admin

Although, with some proper retooling, Dark Reckoning could be a pretty awesome villain.

Well, now you've gone and inspired me to write a far-less blunt OC backstory. I hope not to offend, but I feel like I may be able to do this poor monster justice.

I'll comment again when I've finished.

Originally, I was going to write it like you did, third person past-tense. But then, I had a lot more fun with this first person account instead. Hope you enjoy! :twilightsmile:

"Where... Where am I?" I groan as I stand up. My eyes are clenched shut in pain, and I'm not sure why. Slowly, my eyes creak open, and I am immediately blinded by a massive white nothingness. It takes my eyes a few moments to adjust, and then I see it: towering over me is the vast whiteness of the empress. She towers over me, and in my momentary weakness, I cower. Why am I cowering, I wonder, pulling myself to stand defiantly before the bright white wall of tyranny.
"So, you stand before the dawn in defiance?" It speaks. I gaze up, and find a familiar face, pale as the sun, with a mane of flickering pastels, billowing in an ethereal breeze. I blink, and stare into the magenta eyes, burning with cold malice.
"I stand to pull myself from the cold floor," I elaborate. "What happens now?" I ask, fearing the answer.
"Exile." She states, voice as cold as ice. For some reason, I already knew it was coming. What have I done I ask myself. Then, a lightbulb flicks on in my head.
"Exile. Upon what charges?"" I ask. This will share some light upon the void of my memories.
"Practising dark sorcery."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Princess!" I chirped happily, looking into the magenta eyes of my mentor. Funny, how she looks identical to this wall of white malice before me now. "I was experimenting in my room last night when I discovered a whole new branch of magic!" Her eyes widened a bit, but she nodded for me to continue.
I clamped my eyes shut. I may have been practising all last night, but the magic was still taxing to cast. I welled up my anger, my pent up wrath from my foalhood, and a moment later, the floodgates opened. I could feel the lights flicker and dim, darkening the room. Then, I felt the burning as flames encased my eyes, and I heard the gasp of my mentor. I smiled, proud that I could surprise her, and I began the weaving of the spell I designed.
I opened my eyes at the peak of the spell, and instead of pride, I saw my teacher's face contorted with horror. I'll show her that there's nothing to fear, I told myself. I unleashed the complex art from my horn, seeing the symbol take shape, and her face twisted into pure unadultered terror. The symbol finished forming, and the spell was cast, unleashing my new companion. "Teacher, meet Terrus!" I chirped, smiling happily.
The worm reared up and chirped a greeting, and Celestia screeched. Terrus recoiled from the noise, and looked at me quizzicaly. "Princess, is something the matter?" I asked for Terrus.
"It all makes sense..." she murmured, looking down at my cutie mark, a book enshrouded by dark flames. "Dark Reckoning, dispell the construct this moment!" She shouted, and Terrus cowered behind me.
"Construct?" I asked, confused. I turned to Terrus, confused, and then it clicked. "Oh, princess, you are mistaken! Terrus isn't a construct!" At this, all the color drained from her already pale face. "Terrus is a soulbound." Behind me, Terrus chirped his confirmation.
"You... Summoned an outsider?" She asked, slowly. "Under your own power, without signing any pacts?" I nodded, and her face became paler than marble. "Then your power must be insurmountable..."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Assault on royalty."

-+-+-+-+-+-

That's when princess Luna teleported in. "Sister!" She shouted. "I detected a outsider breach!" She turned to me, and snarled when she saw Terrus. "There!" She called, casting a particularly dangerous spell at him.
"No!" I cried, and instinctively I reached out into the pool of magic. Without thinking, I cast a reflection spell, and the shot redirected at Luna. She didn't have time to react, and the impact threw her halfway down the long hall, stunning her. "Terrus is my friend!" I cried, casting another spell; A wall of black flames surrounded Terrus and I, separating us from the two godesses.

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Disbinding an outsider."

-+-+-+-+-+-

Tears were streaming down my face. My mentor, and her sister, so hostile to one of my only friends. I'll show them Terrus is sweet. I began the ritual of disbinding, which would allow Terrus to act under his own will.
The words were unfamiliar, and in an ancient dialect, yet I continued, determined to save Terrus. "NO!" Celestia shouted, but I ignored her.
"Terrus, you are released from your contract." I concluded, and Terrus reared up, releasing a bellowing screech. A dark aura surrounded him, and then a wave of black energy blasted out from him. It blew both princess away even further, but it shielded me like a blanket, warm and comforting. Then, I heard his voice inside my mind.
"Dark Rekoning, my savior, I am yours." He said, laying upon the ground. "May we live and love forever. Amatus Infinitus!" He cried, unleashing another wave of power.

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Flight from authorities."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Quick! Stop him!" A voice called. I turned and looked. There stood a group of guards, and the remnants of my black magical essence. I must've teleported away when they surrounded me. I turned and fled, running down dark streets. Why was I running from the guard?
Doesn't matter, they had hostile looks in their eyes. So I ran, deep into the everfree forest, Terrus right behind me.

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Defiling the sacred body of your birth."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Sire," Terrus called, "It would please me to no end if you allowed me to reshape you, so that we could be even closer." The shadow of the Everfree was dark, but Terrus could see my soft nod.
"Do as you please, Terrus. We are friends, and what are friends for." I stated, closing my eyes. I could feel the outsider magic on my skin, calming and protective. When I opened my eyes, I was assaulted by the colors. I looked down, to see a faded green color replace my once dark fur. I had taken up the mantle of the outsider, my skin to match it. Now, instead of soft fur, I was covered in fleshy spines, my build withered and atrophied looking. I looked back, to see everything behind my haunches to have fused together into a single slithering tail. Upon my head, instead of one proud horn, I now sprouted a crown of five. I could feel Terrus beaming, and I patted him on the head. "It's perfect."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Genocide."

-+-+-+-+-+-

The withered green flames licked at my body, but I couldn't feel them. All I was focused upon was the giant before me. "Agorath, for your crimes upon all life, I sentance you to eternity within Tartarus. May you learn your lesson." I stated, feeling my five horns radiate power, bending and breaking his mortal form. He screamed once, a pitiful cry for mercy, and then was vaporized, turned into dark energy. I pulled the blackness of his soul towards me, and observed all it's facets, before teleporting it to my newfound home.
Tartarus, the physical existance in the outside. My domain. The land where the truly evil souls go. I gazed around me, and looked at the burning metropolis behind me. Ten thousand giants, each one evil to the core. Agorath was the last of his kind, and had escaped my grasp for too long. Now, he was with his people: Suffering for their crimes. "You did well, Master," Terrus cooed behind me.
"It makes no difference. Let us be away, I've heard rumors of a troll den not two miles from here."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Enslaving an entire species."

-+-+-+-+-+-

With a final blow, Cerberus was laid low. "Bend knee and submit!" I shouted, and the dog wimpered. "I am your master! Submit!" I cried, before Cerberus finally kneeled. "Good dog. You shall guard the gate, the doorway to Tartarus." It nodded, and departed. I looked about, and saw the den of pups, all Cerberus' children. "Now now, little ones. You too shall recieve great purposes."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Defying nature."

-+-+-+-+-+-

I watched as the trees around me withered and died. I was stealing their life force, so to better combat my newest foe: Drakus, progenitor of the reptilian bloodlines. Hydras, Dragons, Sea Serpents, all are his lineage. But he was too evil to remain upon this world. Greed had stained his heart, making him cold, cruel, and dark. Not only did he lust after gold and jewels, though. Nay, he sought the souls of the innocent, claiming that their taste was "Delectable." It saddened me, to see another part of my beautiful forest withered by my own hoof, but it must be done, if I am to face Drakus.

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Deicide."

-+-+-+-+-+-

Drakus was only the first. After him, came Elder, the Elk leader. He also went by the name "Defiler of does," as most deer, caribou, and elk children were his. As I laid the final blow, and crumpled his body, I took a moment to think of his crimes, to justify his inprisonment. Rape, murder, theivery; to him, he was above the law. To me, he was just another scum, waiting in line for his new home.
That's when he croaked out to me. "What is it you seek, monster?" He coughed, spitting up golden blood. "Wealth? Power? Mares and Does to fill your every desire? I can provide all that and more. All you must do is tell me your desire, and it is fulfilled. I'll even forgive you of your transgressions."
I smirked. There he was, trying to bribe his way out of fate. "What I want, huh?" I asked, toying with his hope of my own corruption. My eyes hardened, and I gazed at him with a glare able to freeze basilisks. "I want justice." With that final word, his eyes went wide, and he flailed his distorted limbs madly, trying desperately to escape fate. With a cruel laugh, I vaporized him, and took a moment to admire his once pure soul. There were still a few white streaks across the blackness of his soul, and I sighed. He was too far gone to forgive, but it still hurt to know that once, he had been a good god.
"It had to be done," Terrus consoled, and I nuzzled his maw slightly.
"Thank you, Terrus. At least you will never betray me."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Prepared and Attempted Assassination."

-+-+-+-+-+-

"We mustn't forget your old masters," Terrus whisperered. "Forget not the fact that they control the sun and moon, and it is by their will what time of day it is." I sighed, but nodded. He was right, after all: They were just as tyrranical as the rest, even if their motives were pure.
With that, we headed for the castle of the two sisters. The trip was uneventful, as was breaching the gates. I was careful not to harm the innocent civilians, but the walls crumbled in my presence. "Princesses!" I bellowed, knocking down the castle doors. "Your day of reckoning is at hoof!"
There they stood, sitting in their thrones, looking down the hall at me. Luna smirked. "We laugh at thee, outsider!" She called. "Your magic holds no power within these walls, and the threshold repells your kind! Turn back now, before you are returned to your home country!"
I laughed, a deep, booming laugh. "Though that may be true," I called, stepping through the threshold. "I am no outsider."
The two gasped, flabbergasted at the thought that the ancient enchantments might be failing. "Who are you?" Celestia inquired, trying hard to keep up her stoic visage.
I chuckled, as I strode closer, my tail flicking from side to side. "Oh, my beloved teacher, have you really forgotten? It's only been two years."
She paled, and I heard her murmur "Dark Reckoning," under her breath.
"Ah! You do remember!" I called back, playfully. "How have you been? Busy?"
"What is your purpose here, Reckoning?" Luna called, halting me for a moment.
I shook my head, and chuckled slightly under my breath. "Have you not heard? I've been busy these past two years? First, the new look, then, I built a prison!" I grinned wildly at the two. "Then, with my own noble intent, I took it upon myself to rid corruption from this world, and sentance them to the pit. Surely you have heard the rumors of Tartarus, correct?"
They nodded slowly, so I continued. "Good, good. Then you also know that it is now home to the evilest, darkest souls to desecrate the face of this world. First the giants, then the trolls. After them came hundreds of other evil species, those open with malice, strife, greed, and other worldly corruptions. After them, I moved to the individuals; Drakus, Elder, Caesar, and hundreds of other corrupt gods. They too let corruption into their hearts.
"And you killed them for it," Luna sharply interjected.
That caused me to pause. "Well... I guess so." I stammered.
"And thus, you let wrath and violence find its' way into your heart," Celestia continued.
At this, I stopped moving completely. "So they have," I quietly replied, pondering my own words. "Thus, when my work is done, I too shall be removed from this plane." I said, bolstering my courage. I could feel Terrus' comforting presence, wrung tightly in my crown of horns, and I gave him a little mental signal. At that, he slithered off, and regrew, to his original size.
"Oh yes, Celestus," Terrus cooed. "He did. Malice, wrath, hatred... vengeance. They fill his cold black heart with resolve, and a sense of purpose. A duty to this world: He is its' caretaker, the protector." I glanced at him, and he smiled at me. "Once this world is cleaned, purified, and healed, we too shall head to our home. Are we not, after all, the villains in this story?"
Celestia's eyes narrowed. "You," She stated, voice layered with boiling hate. "You whispered obscenities into my pupil's ear."
Terrus chuckled. "Oh, no, Celestus. You have me mistaken. I didn't teach your pupil anything. I gave him the violin, and he played the right strings. After all, it is his prophesy." With that, Celestia recoiled. "Oh, yes... The one you told me, before you cast me aside like the worm I am. Did you not recognize me, Celestus? Is the centuries upon this mortal plane too much for your immeasurable mind, that you forgot your own mentor?"
Luna turned to her sister, who sat as still as a statue. "What does he mean, Celestia?" She asked, to recieve no answer.
"Luna child, can you not see?" Terrus cooed, sliding closer. "Celestus..."
"Stop calling me that!" Celestia screamed, blowing Terrus and I back a few feet. "I am no longer that vile creature which you speak of! I changed, Terrus. I became better!"
Terrus laughed, a deep, throaty sound. "Better? Hah! Only a fool could think that this... mortal flesh is better. Resume your mantle, Celestus. It was my purpose to see your superceede your father, but you chose to galavant across the cosmos, a few centuries here, a few there. Your time of freedom is at an end, I am here to bring you home!"
At that, everyone stopped breathing. "Sister," Luna whispered.
"Quiet." Celestia stated, sternly enough that Luna froze. "Terrus, I told you long ago to call off the search. Is this what this is all about? Have you ruined my life, here, to finish your duty."
"Well... Yes." Terrus replied. "I am an outsider. My duty is my life. I exist at the whims of your father, who chose me to bring you home. It is my purpose, my duty. Without it, I am nothing."
"Terrus, leave me." Celestia commanded.
"Celestus..." Terrus began.
Celestia exploded, white fragments billowing outward, like a massive Celestia-shaped balloon exploded. There was an inferno of white, and then, in her place, stood an outsider shaped like the princess of the sun. "With the powers vested in me, Celestus of the outside, I strip you of the purpose my father gave you." Terrus flashed a bright white, and released a high pitched shriek, before falling still, smoking slightly.
Celestia grimaced, and then her colors returned, taking the shape of the esteemed pony princess. I ran to my companion's side, and nudged him slightly. "Terrus," I whimpered. "Terrus get up." I could hear Celestia walking closer, and I turned toward her, tears in my eyes. "What did you do to him!" I shouted, snapcasting a dark lance spell towards her.
She deflected it like it was nothing. "I removed his purpose. Without a purpose, an outsider dies."
"No," I whispered, before turning back to my fallen friend. "No, no, no, no, no no no no NO!" I chanted fervorously, shaking my head side to side. I turned back, and she loomed over me, a towering bulwark of white. "No!" I shout, casting a torrent of spells at the bulwark above me. She deflects them all, and kicks me to the side, where I impact a pillar, and everything goes black.

-+-+-+-+-+-

"Do you deny these claims?" The towering wall of white asks my prone figure.
"No." I reply, voice hardened.
"Then, by the power vested in me, by the governments I rule, I banish you." She states, raising a hoof. She begins casting a spell, and for a moment, she closes her eyes to channel the spell. In that moment, I dart left with supernatural speed, and I quickly run over to where Terrus lays. "Halt!" Celestia cries, when she sees me dash past.
I focus, closing my own eyes, as I reach out to every magical source I can access. "Terrus," I whisper, which freezes Celestia. My voice is not my own. "You have a purpose. A duty. To me." I say, my voice that of me, two years ago, when I first cast the spell. "You are my friend, my champion, my companion and comrade. You can't die. I disallow it." Celestia begins moving towards me again, but everything seems to be moving in slow motion. "Terrus, your duty is to protect and guide me, for all my days." with that, an arcid green vapor escapes my mouth, and settles over the body of Terrus.
That's when he twiches. "Master," He whispers weakly, but it is all the incentive I need. I scoop him up and drape him over my shoulders.
Celestia is right behind me when I turn around. I'm encased in a dark magic bubble, and she can't penetrate it. "Celestia. On accounts of violence, impersonation, and tyrrany over the day, I banish you to Tartarus." I say, and she freezes. "Justice is served, by the servant of... Augh!" I cry, as something strikes me in the side. I turn, to see Luna standing there, six gemstones floating around her.
"Dark Reckoning, for your acts of violence, murder, genocide, slavery, and a hundred other crimes, I banish you." She says, eyes cold as ice.
the six stones flash white, and then a prismatic beam bellows forth, striking me square on the chest. "Remember this, Sisters of the sun and moon," I call tauntingly, while my body slowly petrifies. "When I return, my work shall be finished. I shall save this world, and you two shall not partake in the jubilation."
That's when the stone covered me completely, and I was sent into perpetual darkness. With the little power (not to mention breath) I had left, I cast my final spell: The one that would take Terrus and I home.
To Tartarus.

Do you all think I should publish it as its' own story?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5