Sad Luna 221 members · 353 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
the dobermans
Group Admin

The Saddest Luna Writing Contest

$85 in Prizes and More!

Hello friends! I could wait no longer. I hereby announce the opening of the first ever Sad Luna writing contest!

As we all know, our beloved Night Princess's story is not one of joy, but of sorrow long and deep. A dweller of prisons by fault and nightmares by nature, she does not share in the cheer and colors of daytime life. She betrayed her sister, failed her subjects, and jeopardized the entire world several times. She feels guilt of a magnitude she has only recently come to comprehend. And so, while her despair may never be resolved, it can be proclaimed, that all may appreciate her tragic role.

Prizes!

Prizes are tiered, with some unlocked solely at the judge's (my) discretion. In particular:

-Grand prize is a $50 gift card to Amazon or Walmart
-Second place prize is a $25 gift card to the same
-Third place prize is a $10 gift card to the same

The top three stories will also receive individual critiques to be permanently displayed in the Sad Luna forum. The highest honor, to be bestowed on a story deemed of unparalleled sadness, will be placement in the group's Eclipsed folder. While the monetary prizes are guaranteed provided that the other contest requirements are met, addition to the Eclipsed folder is not. As I have actively searched for and read as many sad Luna stories as I could for several years, the author of the work that attains this final prize may be assured that they have written the saddest Luna story on the site.*

All other entries will receive honorable mention and listing with links (assuming they don't have the mature tag) in the forum, as writing unpleasant subject matter is difficult, and deserves recognition.

*according to my own personal tastes and reading ability, of course

Guidelines

-All contestants must be members of the Sad Luna group - feel free to join to enter!
-Add your story to the temporary contest folder
-Up to three stories may be entered per contestant
-Deadline is 12:00 AM December 21, 2016, EST.
-All stories are subject to site rules
-There are no restrictions on length or content except those imposed by the site.
-To be eligible, stories must be published after 2 Oct 2016.
-A minimum of 10 stories must be submitted to the contest in order for all prizes to be available: prizes may be eliminated, or the contest cancelled, if there is not enough interest.
-I intend to give each entry a thorough, close reading - contest results may be delayed as entries are reviewed.

Miscellaneous

If you prefer prompts, consider the following:

-Luna's Tantabus-created nightmare was cut off when it escaped her dreams. How would it have played out if it were allowed to continue?
-Worried by how often Luna has threatened Equestria, the Mane 6 seek Celestia's help in removing her from power - by any means necessary.
-Luna remembers the crimes she committed as Nightmare Moon, and seeks forgiveness from her sister and the ponies of Equestria.

Note: your entry does not have to follow any of these prompts.

Please note that a number of Luna Facts have been provided for you in the forum to assist you.

For reference, the saddest Luna story I have had the good luck to read is Lunacy by NTSTS (darf). In order to win the top prizes in this contest, your entry must exceed it in despair.

Also, don't depress yourself over this.

Q&A

Q: WTAF?
A: Yes, I know this is unconventional. The contest is not meant to mock or dishonor Her Highness - only to give voice to her suffering.

Q: Do I have to follow canon?
A: No. It is recommended, however, that your story be rooted in canon. For example, if you want to make Celestia an enraged murderess, you'd do well to show how she got to that state of mind.

Q: I'm not sure what you mean by "sad". Can you be more specific?
A: In general, themes of loss, hopelessness, false hope, forfeit, failure, isolation, cruelty and lack of meaning.

Q: What are the quality requirements?
A: Minor typos and grammatical oversights will generally be ignored. If they are significant enough to detract from the flow and immersion of the reader, it will negatively impact the mood.

Q: The guidelines and standards of judgment are a little vague. Can you summarize them?
A: Your story should turn an average devotee of Her Highness into a weeping mess. Make me run out of tissues.

Q: I have questions not covered here. What should I do?
A: PM me!

I will join. If I win, I don't want money. Let me repeat myself. I. Don't. Want. Money. I just want an honorable mention and recognition. Tee-hee.

the dobermans
Group Admin

Excellent! I respect your wishes, but feel free to change your mind if you do win.

I won't. I want someone else to feel special. Give it to someone else.
Note. This is only in case I do win. I probably won't since im new at writing. But hey, if I can make someone feel happy if I win, it's a good deal. *Grins*

I hope I can at least write a story ponies will enjoy.

the dobermans
Group Admin

That's the spirit!

You want Sad? Prepare yourself you know not what you have unleashed

THIS IS VERY TEMPTING.

Hm. I have some ideas that would fit this. I'll see if I can get one written.

Comment posted by Snowy Song deleted Oct 3rd, 2016

I sooooo going to do this. I'll start writing right away.

5531888 can it have a happyish ending?

Oooh, this is so intriguing. I may decide to join, if the mood strikes me.

the dobermans
Group Admin

Make me suffer :raritycry:

It's time, Axis. Luna will smile upon you if your first published story is devoted to Her. :rainbowwild:

That would be wonderful!!

Excellent decision! I'll be waiting ... :pinkiehappy:

Good question. While I hate to place restrictions, for the purposes of this contest I'd have to say a happy ending would work against you. Nevertheless, if you have a great idea that you need to write, and think you can make the majority of the story sad enough, then go for it.

Here's hoping inspiration strikes! :raritystarry:

But Celestia's smile is prettier :raritystarry:

im assuming its still on?:twilightsheepish:

ok so how do i submit it is it a folder?:twilightsheepish:

the dobermans
Group Admin

Yes indeed! Submit to this folder when you're ready.

is it okay if its also horror:twilightsheepish:

the dobermans
Group Admin

Oh absolutely! In fact, horror will only help your chances. :pinkiehappy:

the dobermans
Group Admin

To anyone who might be tracking their Groups feed, a quick reminder that there's one week left, +/- some hours, to submit your story for the Saddest Luna Contest (see above for guidelines). Plenty of time to dot the i's and cross the t's. :pinkiehappy:

Hope to see your entry soon!!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21