Human in Equestria 16,830 members · 16,983 stories
Comments ( 119 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 119

who do you hate for a main character and give me reasons as to why.For me:

The Self insert:This character I hate because it is obvious wish fulfillment and usually in the Human in equestria stories starring this character they get some position of power in the story and all of the Mane six become defenseless fillies around him.

The Misanthrope/emo:These characters make humanity look bad to the ponies who have jerks in their own society like the cherry merchant and Canterlot elite and blame humanity for his/her problems or blame certain individuals and past events to make humanity look like the devil and the emos act like jerks to the ponies for no reason and acts like he/she has the worst life compared to everyone else even though their are people suffering worse than them.

The Soldier:These characters act like the military you see in Saturday morning cartoons and are usually mostly depicted as bad asses even though they are boring and usually shoot anyone who resents them and usually dates a royalty figure(Luna,Celestia, or Chrysalis) or Rarity and Fluttershy.

Finally the one I hate the most

The Sarcastic Jerk:They are by far the most annoying characters ever for being condescending assholes to everyone for no reason and act sarcastic in the most annoying ways ever conceived by not making it funny and comes off as assholish and when they are Jerks they end up hurting others and never get punished for their consequences and become the god damn chosen one without any comedy.

:facehoof: your thoughts?

The Self insert:This character I hate because it is obvious wish fulfillment and usually in the Human in equestria stories starring this character they get some position of power in the story and all of the Mane six become defenseless fillies around him.

That's when it's done wrong. And it is as annoying as everything else done wrong.

The Sarcastic Jerk:They are by far the most annoying characters ever for being condescending assholes to everyone for no reason and act sarcastic in the most annoying ways ever conceived by not making it funny and comes off as assholish and when they are Jerks they end up hurting others and never get punished for their consequences and become the god damn chosen one without any comedy.

That's called a Mary Sue.

Don't forget

The Playboy: Characters that through some strange thing about them are mare-magnets and somehow manages to sleep with just about every pony they encounter. These ones usually fit into the other archetypes as well.

I hate sad kids (5-9) that are too little too do anything but get kidnaped or make me cry.

And the the jerk guy is a boring idea as well.

Any human who is given superhuman, nay, Godlike powers for simply existing. Usually these powers are stolen from TV, videogames, or anime.

Not to mention the character is almost always nothing like the person in real life.

The Misanthrope/emo:These characters make humanity look bad to the ponies who have jerks in their own society like the cherry merchant and Canterlot elite and blame humanity for his/her problems or blame certain individuals and past events to make humanity look like the devil and the emos act like jerks to the ponies for no reason and acts like he/she has the worst life compared to everyone else even though their are people suffering worse than them.

Not to mention their so called "problems" are all caused because the character is completely stupid.

The Soldier:These characters act like the military you see in Saturday morning cartoons and are usually mostly depicted as bad asses even though they are boring and usually shoot anyone who resents them and usually dates a royalty figure(Luna,Celestia, or Chrysalis) or Rarity and Fluttershy.

Don't forget the fact they can't die. That's kind of implied in bad ass, but in order to be a bad ass, one must be willing to accept defeat so they may gain victory.

Generally this falls in to the self-insert area, on or just near the Mary Sue part. Just kind of shows you what kind of person the author of said self-insert is like, eh?

People who write this crap are usually either really naieve to the average cliches to the fandom and are just plain new to writing, or just dumbasses who think "I can do it good this time." by following exactly what everyone else does.

Comment posted by Washingtonian deleted Oct 27th, 2013

The Bland Action Hero: The type of guy whose only talents seem to consist of killing things and not much else. All characterization is shunted in favor of "badassary" though essentially all of their other actions just make them look like a bloodthirsty douche. Sort of ties into "the soldier" above. Commonly applies to poorly written x-overs involving RPG characters.

It's possible to do a self-insert correctly and likably, it's just that many people don't.

I prefer the sarcastic jerk...
Especially if done right. It's so good.

The Soldier, the Self-Insert, and the Misanthrope I completely agree with. On the contrary, sometimes the Sarcastic Jerk can be written funny, but it's rare and seems hard to do.

My most hated one, however is

The Complacent: Completely fine with being in Equestria, the Complacent is typically characterized by not caring if they can't go back. They have no outer or inner turmoil with being in Equestria even if they're stuck there and have either slowly forgotten or completely pushed aside their former life. They don't hassle or argue with what is going on around them, even occasionally giving in to desire if the want is strong enough without arguing species differences. Some even prefer Equestria to earth, though they are only the Complacent if being in Equestria causes no inner turmoil regarding lost family or friends.

SI: If done well, I like 'em (ex: Through the Eyes of Another Pony). However, for the vast majority, yeah. They are nothing more then Mary Sues that shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Soldier: Again, if done well, and the author has some idea of what it means to be a soldier (mindset, thought process, training, experiences, proper lingo/slang, proper radio etiquette), then this can be a very rewarding and enriching character development point. Much like SI's though, the vast majority are written by civies who then proceed to royally jack it up and act all sierra hotel about it.

Emos: Unless this has combined with something else and has a real reason behind it (not the typical, "oh woe is me, I was picked on and bullied as a kid, so I hate all of humanity for it!"), it can show some real depth to a character and make him/her relatable (ex: the loss of a family member that was close to the MC and how he/she tries to move on). As with almost everything, execution is what matters.

The one I hate-
Misanthropes: There is no reason for these kinds of characters to exist. They only detract from a story. There is no positive side to this kind of character.

I really just hate it when we're presented with a human protagonist that fucks all the ponies and saves the world simply because he has a gun. Bonus points if he treats at least one pony like shit for no reason, or cries foul about being arrested/detained after beating somepony within an inch of their life.

I've got a Soldier parody story (which will have another chapter added at some point) and a Playboy/Mare Magnet parody story (which I actually completed). This thread has me wondering if I need to make fun of some more character types...

2040313 You should read Human, by DannyJ, it's a superhero human fic done right.

I hate the human that gets all the mares wet just by sight. That rustled my jimmies to the point of giving my 2-inch punisher a raging erection. The bastard strolls in with fag swag with his long big dick and all the mares just want it. They want it as if it is the holiest thing that Molestia's plot, and that's blasphemy!! :flutterrage:

That is a 'asshole shit-head' in my book and can go suck a big one and die in a fire. In those stories, there's no character development and it goes straight onto sex! Believe me, I love sex, but not pointless ones!! Pointless as in the mare just goes in to suck the dick of the human with no questions asked.

My jimmies are then rustled.

Actually, self-inserts can be good if done right. It's just that the majority of it are wish fulfillment and bullshit.

Like I said above, if done right, it can be good. Imagine a human Earth under the control of an alien face and had executed the human's family members, friends, and tortured him to the brink of death. The meals he got was only the stringy stuff on bananas and dirty piss from the prisoner latrine. If that was me, I would hate any foreign aliens that are not human.

But with that said, I'm with you there, brother.

I agree with you there. However, some can be good if the fuel of that badassery is a horrible past that blinds them. And even if they date royalty, their bitterness may turn them away from them. Now that's a good soldier character. Also with the fact they shoot whatever the hell they want is annoying.

What 2040295 said.

2040272 The kinds that are either named Anonymous or Kyle.

2040343 and you forgot they only solve their problems with violence and not words

2040463Kyle. Motherfucking Kyle.

The Forgiving Fucktard-

The Forgiving Fucktard is usually the type of character that can have absolutely monstrous things happen to him/her, and be completely fine about it.

For example.

Character get's blasted into next week-

"It's fine honestly, you're completely in the right and I, being an evil human for raw raw raw reasons, was in the wrong for simply existing."

Character get's raped-

"You were just confused."

Character get's turned into a pony by Celestia/Luna/Both-

"It's okay, I'm evil so I completely understand why you chose to destroy my humanity and possibly my mind."

...I hate this character :facehoof:

I hate the "harem" logic character. And NO! I don't care that Equestria might have a herd logic system! All harems do is reward pretty much all of the characters listed with all the pussy they want! Now the other reason I hate them is because they try to claim that they all love each other equally and everything is hunky dory. Sorry, but I live my life believing that if you fuck a girl while your dating another, she'll castrate you in your sleep. Also! The overely wise teen. Sorry, but not many teenagers can DEBATE MORAL AND SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY WITH IMMORTAL GODDESSES! Seriously! It's just fuckin' stupid!

The immediate enlister. This is the guy who despite only having been in Equestria for all off five minutes has already chosen a ‘side’ in some political struggle off some sort and professes to believe heart and soul in it’s ideology.

The anonymous human, no:facehoof: just no, give me a god-damn real name and a face to associate this bastard with.

The doormat, they're overly polite, can never do wrong, spineless and ready to be walked on by all the ponies.

The misanthrope, don't need to explain this one.

The playboy, sure having one or two mares show interest for the new bipedal guy on the block is fine. However when the entire mane 6 and royal sisters are tripping over their own hooves to get a piece of him, you've gone too far.

And my number one hated is the ponyfied human. I can't articulate how much I hate this.

2040272 I could write a respectable sized novel about this topic, but I'll just settle with a short description of Isaac from 'Somewhere I Belong':

This unbelievable Gary Stu character is ridden with every cliche in the book (pretty much all the names you listed here, too - all done wrong). Anyone with the slightest bit of sense for a well-developed and likeable main character is never going to say "Oh, Isaac is so awesome! I like him". Characterization is flatter than a pancake, and he has no redeemable traits or qualities - this guy is just so freaking insufferable that only reading about him made my entire being ache with physical anger. He's probably the worst character in FiM fiction since Lance Greenfield from 'Living the Dream' (by the way, I hate anything describing Lance Greenfield, too). There is not one solitary good thing about him.

I quit reading this travesty long ago (mostly due to the fact that reading it drained me mentally on a dangerous level). I recommend passing on it and forget it was ever mentioned or referenced.

2040463 2040562
Comments like this are why I had to name the protagonist of my "Soldier" HiE parody Kyle. :pinkiehappy:

From the top:
- since Jase in my fic is a quasi-self insert (more of a caricature of how I was in high school than who I actually am), I may be biased, but I don't have a problem with self insets. The trick is to add in your faults as well as weaknesses and go through a realistic story, rather than idealic fantasy. Your insert has to fuck up every now and then with real consequence.
- fuck you, misanthropy.
- again, may be biased since the aforementioned character is gung-ho military and even helps fight a war, I may be biased towards this trope. I think military characters have much more potential than most people use them for. There are some deep philosophical and psychological subjects that come up when one is so saturated in violence, but the only thing they ever seem to do with the potential is make the character a Rambo cut out who pins people to walls with arrows. Again, it depends on the moderation. If you ACTUALLY KNOW about the military, through research or first hand experience, and present it realistically, that works, but if you don't know much on the subject, best not to attempt.
- yeah, fuck those guys too.

The Righteous, Loyal, and Retarded, yet Sexy, Hero: Badass Soldier/Mary Sue/Emo category to levels where the guys voluntarily wearing suicide vests question their devotion.
1. Goes on a fucking Skyrim-Sword-Slashing rampage without getting hurt.
2. Switches from unmerciful and unemotional killer to the zero-testosterone level boyfriend who screws his lover and is surprisingly good in bed.
3. Murders others with no repercussions/remorse.

The Unsurprised Ponified Brony: Mary Sue/ Self Insert(/Playboy)
1. Ends up in Equestria and recognizes he is a pony.
2. Believes he is in Equestria and is proven right
3. Has knowledge of show
4. Automatically know how to use their limbs.
(5. Romance/Harem)

All of those, plus this asshole.

The perpetual doormat: This guy just goes along with everything and refuses to stand up for himself no matter what. Never going to see his family and friends ever again? Oh well, shit happens. Ponies beat the crap out of him because of extremely overblown racism? (bonus on the OOC ponies, but that's a separate rant) It's okay, because he got better eventually, and they were just scared.

Edit: One more

The brony: Requires no further explanation

2040774 I'm sorely tempted to read these stories you mentioned for shits and giggles, but I'm kind of scared that what you're describing is the closest I'll ever get to being violently sodomized by words on my monitor and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

This may fall under the misanthrope/emo category, but I hate it when they have an oh-so-tragic past. I dunno what it is, but usually people think "tragedy" and turn the character's back story into a neverending torrent of horror. It's not enough that the character lost his sister, no: they also need to have been abandoned by their parents at birth and forced to grow up in an orphanage where they got molested by the janitor on a weekly basis :facehoof:

For God's sake...and the worst part is, these characters usually wind up being Mary Sues! Perfect little do-gooders, even though they led the kind of life that should have resulted in them being total sociopaths!

forced to grow up in an orphanage where they got molested by the janitor on a weekly basis

Not sure if that is an actual story or you're providing a made up example.

2040774Can you give me reasons and elaborate why Isaac is bad cause I heard so much about him yet there are no examples to support why he sucks keep in mind I have read somewhere I belong but stopped reading after the third chapter due to boredom

Misanthrope/emo, self-insert but much less self-insert, they aren't always horrible, but the worst are misanthrope/emo self-inserts.

Funny, I'm working with this one. Good for me that I'm trying to avoid those problems with this kind of main character. This is more like an experiment, making a story this way trying to avoid those common errors. If not, I’d get sick of my own story and I really thought if I should make it with a different character.

If you ask me the kind of character that I hate are the ones that can do everything and are always in the good mood. A good protagonist has to be in troubles, like he has to make a great decision or he is about to die if he doesn't do something or someone saves him and tries to search a way, that always seems impossible, to solve the problems, like, in this case, returning home.

2040991 More of an exaggeration of something I've read, but I'm sure you can find this specific example if you look hard enough.

2040733 Truth be told, I'm reading an excellent fic right now about an anonymous human. They're characterized well enough where honestly, I don't even need a name to know them.

Welp
I know what I'm not reading.

Story, silly
I enjoy reading long pieces of informative text, especially if they are rants or rant-like.

2041593Welp thanks to your text I have to apologize to the creators of Sword art online for calling Kirito a Marty Stu because Isaac exceeds Marty Stu and isaac is a mysgnostic asshole who uses this pseudo-gentleman crap and if he existed in real life I would give him a golf club to the balls

Simple laxatives coupled with itching powder in his drink would suffice (if it even works after you put it in).

You could add mercury too.

2041031 Don't have to now thanks to 2041593 Thanks mate, you saved me a LOT of re-awakened anger Never-fucking-mind. After reading your comment my hatred ignited like a furnace. Is Isaac supposed to be the manipulating antagonist now?

Make sure you name him Private Kyle.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman would love that. PRIVATE KYLE!

That wouldn't work. He would just shrug it off because he's such an ultimate badass.... Please god. Kill that Gary Stu asshole.
Ps: There is another.... Someone who is annoying, dicky, wimpy, hypocritical, WAAY TOO SMART for his supposed age (seriously. It's fucking ridiculous.) and has Equestria have the logic of a terribly written fetish fanfic.... Wait... Anyway. Just look up "The Scent: Lust of Mares (if that's still the title)"
Seriously! The guy is the most apologetic, yet bipolar, asshole in existence! HE IS LITERALLY RAPED REPEATEDLY AND HE JUST SHRUGS IT OFF AND FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIS RAPISTS! That may have changed since I read it. But the story is stupid beyond belief.

2042155 No need to remind me of that shitfest. It's probably the first fanfic I read where I wanted the protagonist dead (not that it would matter because he has fucking God on his side...).

Seriously though, back to Isaac: I'm literally shaking with repressed anger right now. The author finally did it; he made Isaac even more hateable to the point where he has surpassed Lance Greenfield.

Yes, I said it: Isaac is now the worst protagonist I have ever seen in any fic.

This is honestly sickening.

Die, Isaac.
Die...
Die...
Die...
DIE!!!!

Give me a list of all the horrible stories you have read. I get sick enjoyment from reading both the comment section and the actual story.

Actually, he's such a military badass that he has multiple ranks. My most recent chapter opens with this description of him:

Sergeant Major Lieutenant Commander Captain Captain Kyle Batshit – paratrooper, combat trainer, flight leader, weapons expert, Senior Thing-Doer with the Classified Command, longbowman for King Henry, charioteer, Elvis Impersonator Third Class, and so much more

I was going for absurdity, if you couldn't guess. :trollestia:

2040295 yeah but some of them are really funny!

Comment posted by Washingtonian deleted Oct 28th, 2013

Why does this sounds like a To-do list when going accidentally to Equetria?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 119