Weston College Annex 15 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Ukaih
Group Contributor

So it's ironic I'm the one you really thinks we need strict anti-sue and Op character laws. Now this video really describes what a Mary Sue is. So I thought it was appropriate to share this [youtube=qnokGcoUOmE]. Another thing is OP characters. They are different then Mary Sues. They may have flaws but there special things far out weigh there weaknesses. So I think it would be wise to make sure in our character sheets. That their flaws are equal or more than their special abilities and such. I think some thing that had a good system of this was Vikingas group(Which sadly has stopped:raritycry:) But she made it so you had to have weaknesses to be powerful. So any suggests or rule ideas to make sure having an Op or Mary Sue implausible. Also another powerful tool is peer pressure. So as members of the annex I think we should try to make sure that no one is a mary sue or OP.

F4D3
Group Admin

To be honest I have no problem with there being Mary Sues or OP characters, in a sense. Things I worry a bit more about are Pity Sues and just poorly managed characters in general. There isn't much we can do besides that little section asking the character what their flaws are anyways. I don't like using the terms OP and Mary Sue, they're a lot like getting your meat from a Grocery store... :pinkiesick:

There was also a suggestion of weekly character reviews, where someone asks the group to RP with and review their character in a nice and orderly manner. I thought that idea would work well, and would keep people coming back to our group, and allow it to really grow.

One thing I worry about is, just because there's a lot of members in a group, doesn't mean they're all going to participate, which is why I want there to be incentives for sticking with the group to some extent.

F4D3
Group Admin

Their weaknesses don't have to be obvious, they just shouldn't be something stupid, like being allergic to air. :ajbemused:

Ukaih
Group Contributor

2285875 Well I do have a problem with Mary Sues and OP characters. I mean a perfect character with no problems can't be beat. Can't be related to. So I may not be an admin. But I will try to make sure there is no OP characters. But the weekly review would be quite useful. I agree with the incentive.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

2285883>>2285911 It shouldn't be a very very hard weakness to find. But nothing overly obvious such as a big target pointing to it.

F4D3
Group Admin

The fact of the matter is, Mary Sues are perfectly reasonable characters that have been in numerous popular stories. Nyx? Probably the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. The same goes to OP characters, so long as they have their limits they shouldn't be a problem. They need rules. They need to be regulated. And its best the creator do that themselves. If there's a blatant bad character out there, then of course it should be dealt with, but there are far bigger problems a character can have then just being over powered or everyone loving them.

2285987>>2285883
*Flaws, they should be flaws, not weaknesses. Not every character fights, and the word weakness constitutes fighting. Flaws is a much more open term. Plus, the character themselves need to have flaws, not just their bodies.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

2286002 Did you even look at the video I posted? No? Then please look at it before labeling what I believe a Mary Sue is. Thanks:pinkiesmile:

F4D3
Group Admin

Allow me to translate into spanish: No :moustache::trollestia:

No but seriously, I can't watch it from where I'm at right now, but I'm assuming all it will be is the same thing it always is, someone spouting the same crap about how a Mary Sue is loved by all and has no flaws and tends to be female and a bunch of other things that really aren't a problem if they're handled properly.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

2286149 Wrong. So before you make a bunch of judgements watch it. When you are able to. Untill then we can speak later on this topic.

F4D3
Group Admin

I won't have access to Youtube for a while, what's the video itself called?

SweetAI Belle
Group Contributor

"Understanding Mary Sue", by Bronycurious(Tommy Oliver). I've watched it before. It also had this picture in it.

--Sweetie Belle

Ukaih
Group Contributor

2286199 I have to admit Old Ukaih was alot like like the right one..:ajsleepy:

F4D3
Group Admin

2286215>>2286199
Yeah, no. That was exactly what I expected it to be. Not that it was bad, or that I didn't agree with it or that I didn't expect the references... But no.

Edit: Luckily I had my Ipod laying around so I could actually watch it...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14