Weston College Annex 15 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
F4D3
Group Admin

A good reason many people found it difficult to follow the current events of the college was that people felt they could post threads at any time, as long as they felt like it. One of the biggest problems sprouting from this was the many (Derailment) or (Derailed) threads that began to pop up, flooding threads with needless off topic conversation. I'm hoping us making and testing the threads now will at least some what keep that from happening, but I still believe we need to make some rules in regards to this. Just as well, for everyone's sake I feel there should be a single (Off Topic) discussion thread where people can go to discuss things OOC, and which they will be told to go if they are caught flooding a thread.

A few more distinctions I believe we need are in the (Event) threads themselves, as many people feel the need to put their characters in situations intended for only a few set participants. Which is why I suggest we create an (Event: Public) thread tag as well as an (Event: Private) thread tag to help differentiate. For those wanting to use the private tag you will have to specify who is involved in it at the bottom of your post.

Example:

Participants
Student 1
Student 2
Teacher 1

Furthermore, I believe we also need to specify which locations will and won't be permanent, which could be as easy a using the original (Location) tag, as well as introducing a (Location: Temporary) tag for use with events and things of that nature.

To end this, I will ask what rules do you think we need to make in regards to posting threads in order to cut back on confusion?

Below I will list current threads as well as brief descriptions for them, followed by new and suggested threads, along with a description for them, which will be marked with an asterisk.

(RP Related): Threads pertaining to the RP, but are not RP themselves. Examples would be rules listings, guidelines, and The Announcement Board thread.
(Location): Areas in which both students and staff can interact among each other.
(Event): Threads which revolve around certain happenings at the school. Are used only for a limited time.
(NSFW): Threads involving explicit content.
(Back Story): Used for characters to talk about themselves in their own form or fashion. This tag will most likely be removed after the reboot.
(Breakfast) and (Dinner): To be used only in accordance with Dining Hall threads.
(Derailment/ Derailed): Used to signify that a thread is not to be taken seriously, or has gone off topic from the original thread's intention. I'd really like to get rid of these though.
*(Event: Public): Events that are open to any who are willing to participate. If implemented this tag as well as the (Event: Private) tag will replace our current (Event) tag.
*(Event: Private): Events only meant for specific participants.
*(Merchant): This tag will be used to signify that something can be bought or traded in the thread in question.
*(Location: Temporary): Locations that are not meant to be permanent, hence the name. Will most likely be used in conjunction with (Event) tags.
*(Class) and/or (Club): To be used in accordance with teachers and club heads, in order to better orchestrate their subject.
*(Off Topic): A single thread in which discussion of any sort can occur, regardless of subject matter. Intended to replace (Derailment) threads.

If I've missed any please tell me and I'll add them to the list, but keep in mind this thread is also intended to discuss rules regarding thread posting in itself. The reboot won't work if we don't have neat, organized threads to interact with.

Melkor
Group Contributor

I don't have anything to add to this, but that we sould add this to an offical rules thread.

F4D3
Group Admin

Right, that's the purpose of this thread. More specifically, rules regarding thread posting. I believe we need stricter rules when it comes to how and when people post their threads, as well as subject matter.

Basically, I want to compile a list of rules pertaining to different aspects of the college, and post them in one thread for quick reference. But do you think what I have here so far makes sense?

We might want to include a (Discussion) tag for discussing rule changes, and things of that nature. I've also used a (Notice) tag before for general announcements I wanted to get attention.

If (Location: Temp) is always going to be in conjunction with an event, lets have it imply an (Event) tag, rather then having to add one.

Also, let's not combine (Location) and (NSFW) and always start a new thread, because once it is NSFW, it can't go backwards. No locations should be inherently NSFW. (NSFW) should imply (Event), as well.

--Silvy

F4D3
Group Admin

I see what you mean by the (Notice) and (Discussion) tags, I'd just assume have those lumped under (RP Related), but having those instead or in combination might work as well. I was also hoping that the Announcement Board, and to an extent the (Off Topic) thread, would get rid of the need for threads like that, but I'll add them to the list for now regardless.

Yes, I'm hoping this list, as well as creating a few new rules regarding thread posting will prevent threads from having more than one tag, any others tags being implied, or perhaps using colons to specify in the case of locations and events as a sub-tag.

Maybe what we should do is have NSFW be a sub-tag, as in (Event: NSFW) or (Location: NSFW). But I agree that a thread being tagged solely as NSFW isn't the best idea. Although, most locations that were NSFW were practically events, as most of them were only ever used once...

Sometimes you are going to want a notice to stand out to everyone on the group, such as needing a new nurse, more then it would on the Announcement board. And discussing potential rule changes isn't quite an announcement, though it may lead to one.

And I'm mainly concerned about locations like, say, Scribbles bedroom, which will be used for NSFW things a lot, but also for other things.

There are cases that get a bit confusing, too. In retrospect, I suppose Sweetie Belle's Lemonade Stand would be (Location: Temporary), since I'm sure it got taken down afterwards.

Perhaps we should also lock old event threads after a day or so without posts, come to think of it.

--Silvy

F4D3
Group Admin

I was thinking of maybe moving the rules of the group from the front page, replacing them with a link to a rules thread, and using that free space for more important notices, with the announcement board being used for more generic information. That would at least get rid of the need for the (Notice) tag, as it's be nearly impossible to avoid if you paid any attention to the group, whereas it's fairly easy to just click that little green check and go on with your day.

I think, after the reboot, that problem should fix itself.

Which is why I feel we need to have rules pertaining to thread posting. A good portion of the time people would simply make up a tag if they felt one of the tags didn't fit, or they'd use several different tags. What we should do is specify how threads should be posted, and what is and isn't a proper thread tag.

I actually did that with a few of my early events, and it definitely would make sense to try and do that on a broader scale.

Melkor
Group Contributor

Yes, I think it works well.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8