Mad Authors 85 members · 94 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
The Music Man
Group Admin

Worship (v.)
Show reverence and adoration for

Because of the rise of virtual culture, we as a world may have come to a point where we revere death. We watch movies where people die, we play games where we participate in virtual killing, and we seem to like things that involve death in general.

Take this picture I made:

ART!

Of course I got a good reaction because of the story I added below, and Stygian can probably add a lot more perspective than I can, but here's the kicker: Why? Out of all things we could spread, why is death a common theme or at least writing device? Plus, why do we revere depressing shows? And why am I asking so many question? :derpytongue2:

Another objective of this thread is to rat out cliche tropes surrounding death. If we can do this, comedy may ensue.

Feel free to troll, but do so creatively. Or don't. :trollestia:

Well, a lot of ancient cultures did worshipped death.
Add to that that death is a life changing event for most people and you have the explanation, although you might be getting more to the trivialization of death rather than the worship of it.

I'm not sure if this is actually relevant but today I woke up with a peculiar dislike of self-respect.:trollestia:

A couple of years ago, I was cleaning my room and found my notes from back when I was an edgy faggot.
I saw this absolutely silly self-insert character which was all powerful, versatile like a swiss knife and had, get this, power over death.
Could've been worse, it could've been emo. He was more of a trickster type fortunately, I could've died from cringe if he was emo.

For some reason I decided that I wanted to make a comic with him as the main character once I got better at it, but if this was going to work he had to become the worst thing ever.
I turned him into a highly unstable character, with genius level intellect, military training and good looks but with the worse issues ever.
He is the poster child of sadistic traitorous fucks, has gender and body image dysphoria, no family, a group of psychos and more traitors to support him, is completely amoral although incredibly self-righteous at the same time, and his reboot power gave him cancer.
He also picks fight with everything on sight.

I know I'm forgetting things but that just makes it worse.:rainbowkiss:

The Music Man
Group Admin

:rainbowderp:
I must now read your stories.

JenkinsRevenge
Group Admin

People seem to underestimate the completely devastating power that death itself holds. From what I've noticed since I've joined this fandom is that writers in particular seem to not understand the weight that death has. Grim dark in particular focuses on the ability to instill fear and confusion in readers due to this.

People write death as an everyday occurrence, where sometimes it is, but how often they do it destroys the credibility and quality of the darker fan fics. I've spoken to people who do everything in their power to avoid the dark tag because they either associate it with unnecessary gore and sex, or negligence of death.

I enjoy dark stories, but I too run into the problem that some people can't grasp that death and other mature subjects must be handled with experience and knowledge. Death such as suicide has driven close family members of people who have committed suicide to depression and other mental illnesses.

I dislike the stories out there that feature mass murdering with no motivation or reasoning. Writers claim insanity or crazed characters will murder for fun, and yes sometimes they will, but it is fucking overused. Be original. You call yourselves authors when really you are selfish people struggling for attention, be it positive or negative for derive only pleasure at the expense of the name of grimdark and writing itself.

Characters can be villains without use of murder. They may drive others to insanityor tear down society through the use of corruption or drive people apart from one another or bring about devastation through horror and illusions or try to correct the wrongs of others through unethical and irrational ways.

DEATH is a part of the natural order and is, in most eyes, terrible thing. However it is not a tool or shortcut to better writing, in fact if anything it is the opposite. Incompetent use of death and murder shows a writer's inexperience, insecurity, and inability to use other tools at their disposal.

My stories feature death. Yet, surprisingly to most of you, it does not occur in every chapter, as I have seen done in some fics. If you excessively use death as a shortcut to better writing and attention you will not only disgrace yourself and taint your image, you will ruin the image of those you are associated with. Such as the dark tag. I've seen dark stories that contain nary a single drop of blood. How do they do this? By being writers who know what they want. Knowing their story can be great without gore or sex or death.

I will be coming out with a trilogy reeking with death and darkness, yes. But not once will I neglect their power. The catalyst is my story, death and darkness is the result. NOT the other way around. Death and darkness does not make my story, my story makes death and darkness. There is method to the malice, there is reason to my usage of these tools. But amongst the death and darkness, there is hope, light, and victory.

A story deserves the dark tag. You coming up with a pointless plot as an excuse to use death does not. Death is money. The more of it there is, the less important it becomes. If you have the perfect mix of economy (plot), government (characters), and money (death), you have a successful society. If there is too much of any of these and neglect of another, the society (story) will crash and burn.

Ponder this, and before you write that next awesome story about a serial killer, look back and see how you could do something for yourself. Don't fade with the crowd. Don't give in to the ignorance. Be yourself, write what you want.

And for the love of all things dead,
USE FUCKING COMMON SENSE!

That is all. Equestria is ours.

:rainbowwild::derpytongue2:

I'd love that but I'm incredibly retarded and made a world around him.
It was at first him entering into underground fight circuits after defecting from the army to win money but then I created a terrorist organization working on the side and a movement of poor freedom fighters mutants that fought against the evil of people with money on the outlaw places of society.

Then the terrorists are anarchist witches, the leader of the mutants is actually an ashura thus able to only wreck everything he touches and the protagonist becomes the leader of a revolution which took over an entire country and turned it into the first world power with the power of money and effective planning after getting the arm of a demon implanted over an arm he lost fighting the leader of the mutants and appropiating and reverse engineering demon technology.

Then the witches are apprentices of a warlock who fought a super sentai team funded by aliens of which a sense of impending doom was created since nobody found the warlock's body after the red ranger defeated him, the wife of the protagonist is the reincarnation of a dragon and her children become the most fucking broken mutants ever, and the leader of the mutants becomes the hero of the story after his godly but sick bro got killed by the MC.
There's also this guy who works as a peacemaker for the current world order running around, but he was cursed with being unable to win for breaking an oath of his earth-bending brethren on not-Africa.

Then I realized that I'm still too little to tackle this clusterfuck and make a full story.
It's just too big.:raritydespair:

The Music Man
Group Admin

This is an "A" grade rant. :derpyderp1: :derpyderp1: :derpyderp1: :derpyderp1: :derpyderp1: :rainbowderp:

Just start out with a very simple moral and make the SHORTEST story possible around that moral. You can get morals from Aesop's Tales, any religious text, or any movie that isn't all sex and guns.

JenkinsRevenge
Group Admin

I typed that in like 20 minutes. :twilightblush:

Then I started send reply PM's to and got delayed on posting it.:derpytongue2:

But my idea for a large side arc of minor characters was all sex, cars and guns.:fluttershysad:

Thing is that I had the first part already planned but then I wanted to make four out of the five biggest players former friends and now I have to reboot it.
The fifth is excluded because she is too old.

edit: I like my idea for the super sentai characters a lot, though.
They'd make an awesome prequel.

The Music Man
Group Admin

Thing is a story needs a juicy moral. It can have sex and guns, but must do so tastefully. It's like a good piece of art: It tell a story every way it needs to.

Oh no, I have a moral for it. Trust me.

It's just that what I thought is too big for me at the time.

I literally just joined this group to post the following guilty admission:

The first time I killed a character off, I did so precisely because I realized I had accidentally created an individual who was stable to the point of dullness, and there was no way I could get a good plot out of him. So I cheaply, immaturely, stupidly, amateurishly murdered his ass just to create conflict and move the plot forward.

That's it. Hail Discord, full of mischief, only defense against Trollestia.

JenkinsRevenge
Group Admin

Hail Discord, full of mischief, only defense against Trollestia.

My bullshit meter is going off.

Nothing can stop the Smooze.

The Music Man
Group Admin

If you could only see what I believe, maybe you'll understand why I tried my hardest to convert you.

Men can be monsters, but they can just as easily be angles. Death is a break from the strife of life.

No joke, we live on the worse planet: The only planet that would literally crucify it's own God... then paint his picture on candles and sell them at FoodMax.

I hate other religions because they are but the blind leading the blind. The lost looking for a way home.

And throughout history, they have done more damage to the souls of men and women than any other beastly organization on planet earth.

There are only three religions on planet earth: Yours, their's, and the devil's.

It's funny. The last one will never tell you it is a religion.

The Music Man
Group Admin

One question: Who made the rules of science? :trollestia:

Check, or Checkmate?

I'm really glad that you aren't euphoric, Stygian. I really do.

they can just as easily be angles

This is the third time you do this, dude.
You're doing this on purpose now.

JenkinsRevenge
Group Admin

Obviously Princess Jenkins did.

Duh.

Zanec
Group Contributor

Euphoria can be provided by a variety of things.

Zanec
Group Contributor

I dont seem to really get the idea of morale...

Also glad that you aren't aware of how the internet mock ignorant atheists.
Normal, reasonable atheists are cool, especially when they have a good moral compass without needing a guide, but those idiots back at r/atheism or those gigantic faggots that parade around with bullshit "I R ATHIST" caps.
Ugh.:ajbemused: Why do they exist? How are they allowed?

The Music Man
Group Admin

Nor apostrophes. :trollestia:

Moral of this thread: It all ends in a six foot hole, a urn, or being eaten by trees.

Well, of course.:pinkiehappy:
They'll never follow the herd mentality of the religious sheeple following organized religion.
As long as they adopt others opinions like a dogma there's no way they could be wrong, bigotted or blindsided by unfounded beliefs, right?:trollestia:
*tips fedora euphorically*

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27