The Cadanceverse 268 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 80 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 80
GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Now that my PhD Proposal is done, I'll be around more. Yay!

Anywhere, here is a thread for random images of ponies and/or music. Such as this one!

I'm probably overthinking this but why do Rarity and Dash need their sticks tied to their hooves but everypony else an just hold their instruments?

That onle looks like it could be a great cover for a C!fic, someone should figgure something out to make it happan.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2223784: I dunno. I could see hooves maybe being sufficient for instruments that just use levers or sliders (the brass ones), but if they're needed for drums, I don't see how Trixie could get away with not having them. In Sweet Song of Silver, SS had to use them at the end to play scales...

On the other hand, it's so adorable I don't really mind. :-)

2224116: I love that image! Especially that guy in the top right with the instrument that has two horns. Is that a real instrument?

That's the Crystal Empire's version of a Flugelhorn... Pinkie Pie plays it during the "Save the Crystal Ponies" song. I used that scene as the base for Apple Strudel playing it. In the German band that I play with, our Trumpet player does play a real Flugelhorn when he wants a more mellow sound (Edelweiss, for example). It doesn't have the two bells obviously, but for the sake of this particular picture I went with the more exotic look.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2226343: I recognize Bluenote, Strudel, Noteworthy, and of course VInyl. Who's the last one?

I'm thinking that image could lead, like 2224397 said, to a great story. Maybe Bluenote is asked to play in this group (perhaps they used to play together), but it's been a while since she's been in a real performance so the others help her get ready. Hmm...

Cotton Cloudy. She's background filly from various schoolyard scenes and also DT's cute-ceaƱera. I chose her partly because I haven't been particularly nice to her in either of my stories that she appears in, and thought she deserved some time to just look cute.

I figured when she decided on her instrument, it came down to either the accordion or bagpipes, because her mom was forcing her to take music lessons and CC wanted to pick the one that would be most annoying. Naturally (as most reverse psychology plots tend to), she ended up liking her music lessons, but her mother makes her leave the house to practice, because there's only so much polka that any sane mare can take.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2226885: Hmm... maybe Bluenote is teaching Cotton Candy, and somehow she gets involved in her first live performance...

Yeah. Definitely cool story ideas there. And I love the image!

Comment posted by GrassAndClouds2 deleted Nov 23rd, 2013

I imagine that Octavia loved playing cricket in Chenneigh in her free time.

Not so sure about playing, watching is a very relaxing day though. Its just enough about nothing happening to keep you awake but not exciting enough to actually make you pay attention.

2707455 I don't know. Even though my country is part of the Commonwealth, cricket is unheard of, so I don't know what is it like.

Hum, Canada is that you?

Over hear in Blighty it's somewhat popular, I've got an uncle who's quite a fan. I understand we've been doing really badly overseas this year.

Out by about 5000 miles then, you probably have better weather down there in the med than Canada, most of the time.

2708062 Obviously. But that doesn't stop it being chilly and wet when winds come from North in Winter. Things about our weather that makes a typical Maltese grumble are:

1. Very hot and rainless in Summer. (Though, due to being a small island, our air stays humid).

2. Can get chilly and wet in Winter.

3. Storms can flood the valleys.

4. Libyan soil can get mixed in the showers, which causes windows and cars get covered in grime.

Technically, us Maltese love to grumble a lot.:rainbowlaugh:

Complaining all the time about weather, we can make you honorary Brits!

Good point, although I suppose her family might force her to stop practicing sometimes.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2705643 : Aww! This is adorable!

2713344 : Maybe she took it up after going to Ponyville. :-)

Is multiversal harmony going to be canon in the Cadenceverse then?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2788179 : I'm inclined towards 'no' myself, but we'll see. I could change my mind later depending on the story.

2794624 Well, it's gonna be Hasbroverse canon, so personally I don't see why not here. I think it might be Manehattanverse canon, too. Or at least undecided for now.

Crossovers are kind of a tricky thing like that. Some settings are already broadly inclusive enough that such stories are merely par for the course, but others work better if they stay self-contained unto only themselves.

After starting this I'd probably go for no myself, it might work as a one off but if we expand the idea and crossing universes becomes the equivalent of popping next door for a cup of sugar then things can get out of hand.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

I'm leery of introducing a big multiverse into the setting, because it can make individual stories feel insignificant. It's like how in Bioshock Infinite there are so many alternate universes that you can't effect anything important, because there's a million more universes where you didn't do whatever you did.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a Lunaverse crossover at some point, or maybe one with a specific other verse--but a big multiverse thing makes me leery.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2795529 : This too. Multiverse travel needs to be very hard or it really warps the setting.

2795514 I'm not saying the Cadanceverse has to be folded into anything. Just acknowledgement about what happened would be cool.

2795530 I... have no idea what Bioshock is. But I don't think it makes any stories less significant.

Indeed, crossovers can be a great way for characters to step outside the normal confines of their narrative world, but that's kind of the point; it's outside the narrative. More so, when the crossover involves crossing who dimensions, unless it's a setting that's founded on such concepts, I think it's generally best to follow the example based on most commercial crossovers between two fictional medias.

For example, the various Marvel/DC crossovers that have happened over the years, from the minor X meets Y, to the major setting wide mash-up of EVERY character. These adventures are often some of the most exciting things in ever, but generally have no lasting impact on either side. Admittedly, that is partly because the companies have vested interest in maintaining the individuality of their respective intellectual properties and the legal necessities of doing so. However, that still applies, if perhaps to a lesser degree, with fanworks. Thing's like the Cadanceverse, Lunaverse, etc all have their own uniquely rich lores that are quite capable of standing apart, and so one should always be cautious about overly conflating them with other settings, even if all do draw from the same source material of the show. After all, any given verse can over time become difficult enough to follow on it's own, but if it starts referencing other verses as well, than the issue can quickly compound in to something require advanced flowcharts.

2795738 I really don't see what the problem is with at least acknowledging what happened to Octavia. Besides, there's a lot of talk about sequels and it's becoming less 'if' and more 'when'. And with 'when' it becomes a lot more problematic if it's not canon/at least acknowledged what happened.

And the hasbroverse is a crossover, btw.

And the hasbroverse is a crossover, btw.

I was mostly aware of that, but that's also what make it a setting that is far more accommodating to adding additional crossovers.

As for sequels; that doesn't really necessitate that the Cadanceverse itself needs to adopt any aspects of the crossover event. Within the crossover the versions of the characters that are there would remember their previous encounters, but that doesn't mean their more standardized counter parts in the individual setting need to do the same.

2796059 But then there's no real growth of the setting or of the characters involved. And it feels less to me. Hell, forget 'feel'. It would be less. It'd be hard to acknowledge stuff from the Cadanceverse or Manehattanverse. Hell, I think this should be Lunaverse canon, but I know that's a fight I'm not gonna win.

Sometimes being "less" is kind of the point. It's actually what gives the characters the freedom to live an adventure outside their normal narrative, but then still go back to that normal narrative without any of the baggage that the events of the crossover might carry.

2796116 So why can't the adventure at least be mentioned or something? For pete's sake I'm not talking about the end of Crisis on Infinite Earth's here. Just, "Yeah, like that time Octavia went and met those other Element Bearers?"

And 'less' for me here is a bad thing. Period.

Why are you even fighting? Can't you two just agree with each other about something for once?:facehoof:

How about that in the Hasbroverse it is canon, but in the Cadenceverse it is semi-canon at most, like Equestria Girls?

That was actually the point I was trying to make. That where crossovers are concerned the canonicity in one setting doesn't have to be indicative of the canonicity in the other involved settings. Moreover, that even if the crossover is as a rule non-canon to a given setting it can still be treated as though it were canon for the purpose of any potential sequels to said crossover.

I wasn't even really trying to argue, just explain why sometimes it's better to keep certain things non-canon in settings that really aren't designed to deal with the aftermath of a multiverse crossover event.

2796183 Sorry. It's just something I feel strongly about with this. I feel it would be stronger and better with at least tacit acknowledgement from the participating 'verses.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Looks like a great concert! But Trixie seems to have slipped onstage somehow. How'd that happen?

Not sure if you've seen this yet.

The world the way Vinyl sees (and hears) it.

Shame its the Equestria Girls universe.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3158516 : I do like it a lot, but I wish they'd given her a line of dialogue or something. Having an official voice for more C6 members would be really nice.

Considering the minor kerfuffle that came out of making her official eye-color magenta instead of the fanon red, Hasbro might just be wary of doing such things, especially as Vinyl has at least one very popular fan voice (EWT). Then again, maybe they are just saving it for the actual movie.

Now for something almost entirely unrelated...

That outfit looks good on Spike, at least from the back.

Latest of the Equestria girls shorts and who thought Futtershy would be the pied-tambourinist of Equestria High?

I'm not greatly surprised the character carries a tambourine around with her though.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3207081 : Heh. Maybe there's a way to work that into a story somewhere.

Octavia: "Fluttershy, I didn't know you had a tambourine."
Fluttershy: "Yes, well, I used to play it, but..."
*cut to a bunch of zombie-like foals following her around*

Well we were thinking of a Pied Piper like story, although with Tootsie rather than Fluttershy.

Fluttershy Time... Fluttershy Time... Fluttershy Time...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 80