The Cadanceverse 268 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

Now that I'm actually writing the first Cadenceverse story I'm finding some of the hardest parts being finding songs to match events so I thought we could do with a thread to even note music that you think would match with characters of situation or to ask the rest of the group if they can think of music to fit stories being planned or being written.

To start off I have a few.

I think that Rockstar by Nickelback would match Vinyl at her most ego driven moment possible as a sort of 'last temptation' moment "What you want, anything you want, I can get it for you if only you help me. Now what do you want?"

Catch the Wind by Donovan might work for Lyra if she though she had lost Bon Bon to a rival and was stepping aside to allow her love to be happy.

The music I'm looking for is something for Vinyl to be playing or singing along to while commentating on a race, the only thing I have so far is The Race by Yello but it doesn't fit very well.

This is a lovely emotional adaption of a song I didn't like in the first place. In fact it's a whole Cadenceverse story by itself if Vinyl ever makes the big time.

I've recently got into the music of The Piano Guys which despite the name is largely cello based. It might be a good fit for a story about Octavia trying to fit her music more to Vinyl's or Bluenote's style ending up with their version of Pachelbel canon or even Cello wars.

The thing that gets me about their video's is that their Celloist Steven Nelson always seems so happy to be playing.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1847891: Ooh... nice.

This could definitely be turning up later... :-)

And I could see a cool story in Octavia trying to mimic Bluenote's style, not doing it well, and getting frustrated.

I do like how they use the cello as percussion but slapping it, its not something I've seen before but I don't think Octy would approve.

"Hey Octy," said Vinyl, "you can get a good beat out of this thing if you hit it right."
"Stop that!" yelled Octavia rushing across the room and grabbing the Cello from her friends grasp, she cradled it in her arms, "Don't worry sweetie, I won't let the nasty mare hurt you again."
"You know sometimes I think you love that thing so much you should marry it!"
"Humm," thought Octavia, "Maybe I should at least try dating it."

You can basically rip half of the songs from Sonic Underground and put them into a Cadenceverse story, and they'd fit perfectly.

Special mention going to tracks such as I Wish I Could go Faster, Part of the Problem, and Don't be a Backstabber, which are essentially perfect to have episodes built around them.

And yes, I know these are all very cheesy. It was the 90's, you could get away with that much synth back then.

One for Bluenote or possibly Vinyl in a sillier mood

Dare to be stupid

Maybe used as a teaching tool

"But I can't play in the band, I'd look stupid."
"Then Dare to be Stupid"

One for Lyra about Bon Bon it's not really her style but the title and lyrics fit well.
Candy Girl

What goes through mah head when ah read this thread's title at 1:30 AM:

She's a Mane-iac
Mane-iac
On the floor
And she's menacin' like she's never menaced before...

Not gonna lie...

But one of the reasons I don't try to write a story for this verse (apart from my inexperience) is the fact most of the songs I listen to are in Japanese....

Well in generosity Games Fluttershy was raising money for an eastern city and Rarity imported fabric from a 'neighpon' so there could be a Japan equivalent out there so they could visit (Road Trip) or somepony (or other creature) could come to them for some reason. It might fit with Octy's job of studying types of music.

Maybe one for Vinyl, although Equestria seems fairly atheist. The Princess is a DJ?

Of course it could actually be true, Luna seems most likely but you never know when Celestia or even Cadence might surprise us.

Cello music just the way Octavia would never play it.

Those poor instruments.

I might try and fit this to me possible future 'Vinyl hits the big time' story with the characters flipped i.e. Vinyl singing it to Octy

I've been matching Sunshine of Leith recently and I think it's probably made my top ten musicals.

I could see this for any double act maybe Medley and somepony or if G&C2 writes his Fluttershy had an adventure story Lyra and Fluttershy.

This is probably my favourite of the film, would work well as a call to arms of almost any type either between a couple or for a whole group.

Not something I could see us using here but in the film itself it does such a good job of cranking up the tension in the back of the APC as they stop on the road.

The only flaw I can find is that the version of Letter from America isn't as good as the original to me.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

If Flim and Flam ever show up, I think I know what their theme song could be:

Well I am planning Flim and Flam to turn up selling instruments to the school some when, however, that video is not available in my country so I'll just have to guess.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3741416 : It's the song "Better Call Saul," which is about a sleazy lawyer for sleazier clients. It's advertising for a show of the same name, which is a spinoff of 'Breaking Bad'.

"Your husband disappears in a most convenient way/
"Your troubles are gone, his insurance will surely pay/
"You head to the bank but the cops say 'woah!'/
"Who ya gonna call before they lock you down cold?"

"Saul, Saul, you'd better call Saul!/
"He'll fight for your rights when your back's to the wall./
"Stick it to the man, justice for all./
"You'd better call Saul!"

Another great Octy / Vinyl tune and Octavia's monologue at the end could be the Cadenceverse motto.

"Genera be dammed, it's the music that drives us, the harmonies that bind us, the friendship that found us."

Don't know if you've seen this PMV or not... it's TwiDash, but still...

[youtube=I2vVFv6jLzs]

4254309 Anything with the Proclaimers is made of win.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

4254309 : I like the song. Hmm. T&G already used it in the Luanverse, but no reason it couldn't be used here too.

Who's the pony with Fluttershy's body and Cheerilee's head? Just a random mix up or somepony who'd appeared.

I think that's Parasol.

Huh, not heard of her before, pretty cool looking apparently being the love child of two of my favourite characters.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25