FIMFiction UserScripts 383 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Description

Userscript that does a literal search through a comment section's usernames and texts, then display the results.
There's also a button to display all the comments on the same page, because why not.

This is a sort of companion script/utility for Comment Bookmarks, because I needed some way to quickly search through a story's comment section for my past comments. I don't expect to get much use out of it afterwards so it's very rough around the edges.

Be warned, the results are not paginated, that means if there are 300 pages of comments, it will download them all and it will display them all. Use it on large comment sections at your own peril. In my experience, on my machine* it will start to struggle when the page count is around 100, and when tested on The Maretian (418 pages of comments, or 20k comments), loading all comments took 1 minute 17 seconds for the result to display, and another 2 minutes until the browser is fully done processing.

And if you're using this in conjunction with Comment Bookmarks, make sure it's updated to version 1.0.4 and above, or on large threads it will kill your browser's framerate and feast on its remains.

*Intel i5-4690; 16GB RAM; 4GB VRAM

Installation

click this link.

I need this so much after three years of running a fully comment-driven story.

Which story would that be? Also let me know if the script works out for you!

EPony-Me™
What happens when you realize that your life is a simulation? Well, you put the headset back on.
TheMajorTechie · 74k words  ·  315  15 · 5.9k views

I routinely have to look through the comments to pick an idea to use.

Update:

• Links to other comments in the thread will now display the username instead.
  • Show backlinks (i.e. replies to the current comment)
knighty
Site Owner

Please note this script is effectively very much against our policy with user scripts which is that scripts should not make multiple requests to the site for a single user action. Doing this on a 300 page comment thread can potentially cause issues with the site running, especially if (as I assume this script does) they're fired off as rapidly as possible.

Um.... oops?

It's actually rate limited to 50 simultaneous connections, but I guess that doesn't make it any better?

I've removed the download links. Sorry about this!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7