Comments ( 45 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 45
Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

Hello everybat, it's a pleasure to be here. I'll be hosting this year's writing competition.

The rules are much the same as from last year, though with a small change.

1. Can be any maturity level
2. Stories must have been published no earlyier than September 18
3. Bat ponies should take a primary or secondary role
4. Can be Halloween/Nightmare Night themed
5. Prizes awarded are based on 4 categories
-Best of mature/teen/everyone
-Staff pick
6. To vote in fan pick must be a member of group
7. Admissions will be accepted up to Halloween, no later than midnight.

There are four prizes of 25$ amazon gift cards. With the winner of the fan pick also getting an additional reward of a commission from Ashinda.

Right, well happy writing and good luck. If any of you have questions please send me a PM. I look forward to read what you all have to enter. Until next time,
-Sphinx

Comment posted by FerociousCreation deleted Sep 18th, 2017

6119259 Is there a limit on words?

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

Not officially. But I would prefer if things aren't more than 15k, simply due to the fact I'm gonna have to read everything. But I would simply rather not limit people.

6119294 Alrighty then. Thanks. I'll get to it.

May the best fuzz ear win.

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

Indeed! May the best, fuzzy eared, fluffy bat-pony thestral win!

Due date and submission location?

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

The due date is Halloween, submission location is found here. It is in the "Competition folder", subfolder "2017 Writing Competition"

JackRipper

I'll be hosting this year's writing competition.

Is Jack about to participate in a total of 4 contests in under 3 months? Yes, yes he is. :pinkiecrazy:

I judged last year's bat pony contest. Want me to judge this one?

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

If you could, that would be wonderful. I know I could very much use the help.

Alright, cool. Just hit me up and lemme know how you're gonna run things. I'm also a moderator in the bat pony discord server, btw. Want me to advertise this contest there?

Well, I've entered in my vote. Bit of rush job, word scraps taken from a old story that I took down a few months back but the scraps were a story to themselves and I thought they could stand on their own as a one shot.

Eeeee~

I wrote a story a few weeks back that is perfect for this. Added.

Multiple entries okay? I might get inspired and write more. :twilightsmile:

There's no requirement that the story be written for this competition; is that intentional?

Comment posted by Sphinx_Herald deleted Sep 25th, 2017
Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

To be fully honest I would prefer if people were to enter only one story. While I don't like to limit people in their writing I would also like to give everyone an equal chance of winning a prize. And if someone has two stories in the competition it would give them a slight edge over those that only entered one. Still you can add the other stories to the other folder story folders in the group for people to simply enjoy, or you could save them for next year's writing competition. Sorry about that, but I like to give people fair chances.
Until next time,
-Sphinx

Ahh, looks like I've got more stuff to do

(great)

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

Yay, more stuff to do!

This is a victory and a defeat

Now I just gotta hammer the keyboard some more

JackRipper

If I am writing a contest entry for another contest, and it fulfills the requirements for your contest, can I still submit it to yours as well? :twilightsmile:

reprovedhawk
Group Admin

thanks for taking care of this while im out

Uh, people can submit stories from before the contest was started, and even from previous contests?

Don't do this.

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

No, you're right. I'm not going to. Sorry about that. When I had originally thought of the issue I didn't see I problem with it. Though now... yeah... Thanks for setting me back on course.

Glad you changed your mind, because then that would mean that we could see 30, 50, or even over 100 stories submitted to this. That's not what I signed up for, and my friends share the same feelings. You take out the story that's not supposed to be in the comp folder for this year?

Oh shit, forgot this was here. I'mma contribute for sure.

Noice. Better write something coot and fluffy!

So... Odd question. I made a one shot for the contest, and so many readers were demanding more I just sort of turned it into an expanding anthology of complete one shots. How do you want to handle that for the contest? I mean, technically speaking my entry was only supposed to be the first "chapter."

I see. I will spend maximum effort on writing an entry for this contest!

Give me 2 hours. :pinkiecrazy:

Is there any specific category you want? (Ie. theme or tags) and any age group (as in how old the ponies are)?

I was curious with this as well. I do have a story that I want to replace my current submission that will have multiple chapters but I want to get the "primary" chapter out because, on its own, it can stand alone. Does this make it difficult for you to keep track of? How should we go about this?

Can you submit more than one. Like one for each level?

I was just thinking of writing a quick batpony horror story and thought there wasn't a contest this year but I was wrong, yay!!
Maybe I can bang this thing out and see if I make it this year :derpyderp1:

reprovedhawk
Group Admin

excellent work

Two questions:

1: Are US gift cards compatible with Amazon UK? :v
2: What is the due date of the competition?

Yeah, you didn't mention when this competition ends. It's Nov 1 at midnight, right?

1: Most likely
2: Probably the end of Halloween night.

thanks. Submitted my story, only thing is that the competition is a really popular flutterdash, lol

Alright, so submissions are done. Do you have a timetable for when we can expect judging to be done?

Also, I never did get a response when I asked before on how my entry is being handled. It was a one shot. Now, it's an expanding anthology of one shots due to demand for more content. I don't know if you want to only look at the first chapter or the story in it's entirety. Each chapter can stand alone, though, so despite being labeled incomplete you should be able to judge something.

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

6184733 Sorry about that... I've been distracted for the past two weeks by a new computer. No, I don't have a timetable as to when the judging will be done.

As for your story, I suspect I'll judge it based on the first chapter, as it was originally a one-shot. Unless of course you we for it to be judged otherwise. But seeing as to how it meant to be a one-shot I'll treat it as such. Of course I'm still probably going to read through the whole thing just for funnies though.

Any new news on judging progress? How far in are the judges? Is there a goal date to finish by?

Sphinx_Herald
Group Admin

6197848 It's coming along quite well, certainly over half-done with the judging. That said, I still can't give an exact date for when we'll be done by. Ultimately I hope to have the judging finished by the 20th. We'll be finished by the end of the month at most however, here's hoping we can get the results early.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 45