Straight Shipping 2,898 members · 6,635 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

This isn't a how-to. I'm asking for opinions about how others write Dash or prefer to read her in romance slated stories. I ask because I'm sure there is more than one way people go about it. Because the show rarely if ever goes into the subject of romance, pretty much everyone has to infer a lot from what we know about the characters. Save Rarity who we know wants to be courted in a very chivalrous way, everyone else we kind of have to gleam off of personality traits.

So anyway, my idea of a romantic RainbowDash is to put it simply, not very romantic at all. At least not in the traditional sense of a girl being in love. I'm sure she'd show the symptoms, kind of like how she adores the wonder bolts, just in private. But I see her being much more level headed and a lot more "Dash-like" in her attempts to date some one. No romantic dinners or extravagant galas. And she isn't really bothered about being treated like a lady but that of course doesn't mean she shuns affection.

So basically Rainbow Dash on a date is... Rainbow Dash on any other day of the week cept she's giving a portion of her time over to a guy. If she wanted to go all out it would be an effort to impress him (Because she loves to show off)

I don't think she is a sex crazed nympho. That seems to be a thing in stories apparently. I don't know why. Tomboy = Sex crazy? I think that clashes with her personality.(And a topic I'd rather avoid as it seems mostly inappropriate for MLP.) She is the element of Loyalty and all that. If anything, a relationship with Dash would be based on a million things that are not sex.

So anyway yeah that came out really vague. But to put it simply, as a friend said. Rainbow Dash would treat her boyfriend the way a knight would treat his lady. Be loyal, and treat him well. The romanticized version minus creepy sexual tension. Pretty simple really and probably not played straight. But that's just my opinion. What is yours?

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

I always felt as though my Rainbow Dash was a break from tradition. I guess you could say that she isn't into the romantic side of dating due to bad experiences, but she's a few years older than she is typically portrayed in the show. Less tomboyish, more willing to try things that could be called girly (Like making herself all pretty for a date) but still against the traditional mold (a dinner date is too awkward for her).

On the flipside, she does want a long-term relationship. Marriage, a family, to fall into that wife/mother roll while still being herself. I guess she wants to be more feminine as an adult, but cliche romantic gestures irk the hell out of her

Vexy
Group Admin

Ahh Rainbow Dash. I love to ship her; I think she's just such a fantastic character to ship. Mainly because I love tomboys, but also because she's got a very interesting personality.

The first thing is she's not very feminine. It makes me wonder whether deep down she really hates that stuff or whether she wants to like it, yet she doesn't want to "ruin her image" so to speak. There's no doubt in my mind Dash would appreciate affection, but I question how well she would be at reciprocating. Would an affectionate Dash be too far fetched?

The other thing I absolutely adore about Dash is the fact that she's the Element of Loyalty. I value loyalty - alot, but I do wonder what that must be like for Dash. She's the most loyal pony in all of Equestria... surely that must come with insecurities. Who could she rely on to be loyal to her when there's nopony more loyal than herself? What if, for example, she meets the stallion / mare of the her dreams. Will she live in constant fear of them abandoning her? Would anypony take advantage of the fact that Rainbow Dash is so loyal?

In fact, while I'm rambling, I've just remembered that I've seen many fics portray Dash as the one who cheats in a relationship, and I can't help but wonder why this is...

But I'm digressing - back on topic: I personally like to make the relationship between Dash and her partner that of a close friend in that they can be very informal and jokey around each other. I imagine there being problems of Dash feeling a little embarrassed at showing affection, particularly in public, but that would be something the couple would work through together. As for dates... I think Rainbow Dash had rarely ever been on a date because she never saw the point growing up. As such, when she's older I think she might view a date as something bigger than it is.

That said, I love seeing Dash shipped in so many different ways. I think that's the best bit about shipping: being able to do it with such variation.

Thank you for posting this thread. It got me thinking. :twilightsmile:

So hypothetically someone would ask if Dash wants to go to the local salad bar in Ponyville. For all intents and purposes it is a date. But Dash may over think the implications of what may be a simple get together?

Vexy
Group Admin

The first thing is she's not very feminine.

Dash is more feminine than you would think, Vexy. She's more willing to go into a dress than Applejack, she squees over the cuteness of the paraspites and she has fangirl tendencies. And everyone knows how cute tomboys get when they show their girly side.

You're very correct in that aspect. Perhaps I exaggerrated my statement a tad too much. Forgive me, I try not to do that.

You raise very valid points, though; Dash is a lot more feminine than you might assume at first glance. I guess I've never really thought about it that way.

And everyone knows how cute tomboys get when they show their girly side.

Well, yes and no. If someone asked Dash to go the local salad bar, she probably wouldn't think of it as a date. However, if they made it clear that it was a date, she might be a little more nervous than most ponies would expect. Especially since she's usually so confident.

Indeed. That could make for some interesting first date scenarios.

I imagine Rainbow Dash as having crushes but having trouble admitting to them at first due to fears and insecurities as to how it will affect her image in addition to the usual reasons of shyness and fears of rejection. I also see this as potentially bringing out her more feminine side which is a good contrast to her usual brash tomboy attitude that you tend to see and it is kind of cute. I could also see her having a strong sexual side but that of course dosen't automatically make her a slut, she is unlikely to cheat due to her loyalty but if she gets close enough to a stallion lets just say he may get a bit more than he bargained for.

Vexy
Group Admin

Dash would certainly be quite the hand hooffull :rainbowdetermined2:

1247197 In my first fic that I liked, and perhaps one of my more popular on here, Races, I wrote her as your average Dash, but starting to act strangely. It isn't so much that she wants a type of relationship like, say, Rarity would. It's more that, due to her bravado, she would have an awkward time trying to start a deeper relationship. She would act out of the ordinary a bit, and, in my instance, when she admits her feelings, she is straight and to the point. No toying with the male's head, no trying to drop subtle hints. Just Dash trying to figure out what works and doesn't.

“Rainbow Dash would treat her boyfriend the way a knight would treat his lady. Be loyal, and treat him well. The romanticized version minus creepy sexual tension.”

That could be. To say that Rainbow has a masculine streak, would be quite an understatement! It wouldn't be surprising if her romantic feelings were also quite masculine. If her feelings for her husband, were a lot like a man’s feelings for his wife.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12