Straight Shipping 2,898 members · 6,635 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

I'm pretty new to this group, but have plans of writing a M/F story involving Pinkie and a male character soon. So far, I've written only F/F, and was wondering if, besides gender, anything would be different.

What I mean by that is in the writing. Keep in mind I'm talking about a rated "Everyone" type of story. Anything I should keep in mind? Are the audience's expectations different? Thanks for any and all replies. :twilightsmile:

Well, if anything would be different, that's a question you'd need to answer yourself when writing. I've written F/F, M/M (both outside of the brony fandom), and M/F, and to be, be them sex related or pure romance, they're all fundamentally equal. As long as the heart is there, or if it's clop, the bits be good.

1227295 No not really. Just gender and the story.

Ah, I understand. I've written M/F before, but not for this fandom. I felt I took a step up when I decided to write ponies, and expectations are higher in general. I wasn't sure if the same applied to M/F. Are there any specific cliches I need to avoid?

Are there any specific cliches I need to avoid?

Don't let standards like that prevent you from writing what you want to write! I haven't read many romance fics in the pony fandom so I only know my own stuff, so I can't really preach against cliché, but do what you feel you need to in order to tell a compelling story.

I only ask because I don't actively read M/F unless it's really good. And because I've seen people complain tons about something being overdone. :twilightblush: Though, I'm pretty sure the shipping I'm doing is original--but then again, I'm new to M/F. I think I'll just do what I have planned regardless if it's been overdone to Tartarus. I'll make it worth reading even so. :rainbowwild:

Thanks for the encouragement and pointers, though! :rainbowkiss:

Well, the main point of the fic is to explore how Pinkie would deal with a long-distance relationship. The male character I have in mind doesn't have a set personality from the show, but does have an appearance. I'm just gonna drop this link of the cover photo here. I don't want to give too much away, but the male's personality would be just about as you'd expect--but with a twist. I haven't written the story yet, so I was imagining them conflicting on the fact he'd be reserved and she'd be... well... Pinkie, but they'd work well enough.

Any thoughts? :twilightsmile:

I'm excited to write it. :twilightsmile:

It's technically based on a friend of mine's story, but he only mentioned Pinkie dating a guard in it. Of course, I asked if I could write a fic about it. Spent the majority of yesterday making the cover photo, which I think came out well. I like your ideas, though. And I was thinking of referencing Rainbow in there somewhere, what with her failed attempts with the guards. :rainbowlaugh:

No, it's fine. I appreciate your taking the time to comment about my idea, and it does inspire me on how it should go. What intrigued me about the ship was the idea that the guards are stoic, and have a lot of room for a good story. I hope I can pull it off well, all things considered. :twilightsmile:

Thanks again! And as a side note: DBZ is awesome. :rainbowkiss:

I know I'm a little late. But it's a question that still applies today, so I'll offer my advice:

Forgot romance for a minute. What’s the difference between (for example) a male-male friendship, and a male-female friendship? And how would you write the two differently? If you can answer that: I think you’re much of the way to answering how to write a straight romance, as opposed to a gay romance.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12