Silver Spoon 692 members · 489 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

Can you believe that it's been more than three years since I first did the Spoonalysis? Wow, that thing is so out of date (not to mention rather biased and opinionated...).

To celebrate the fact that there might be a ghost of a chance that Silver Spoon will appear in next week's episode, I have decided to give the analysis a much-needed update. As always, feel free to offer corrections, additions, and improvements!

Silver Spoon: Character Analysis

▶ Silver Spoon's primary role in the show is that of Diamond Tiara's friend. She almost never appears alone. (The reverse is not true: "Ponyville Confidential" shows Diamond Tiara getting along just fine without her).

The two are best friends, as evidenced by Silver's genuine attempt to cheer Diamond up in "Call of the Cutie", and later confirmed by Diamond in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark". In "Call of the Cutie", Diamond mentions that she only recently got her cutie mark, so clearly blank flank status has never been a barrier between them.

▶ Silver Spoon's cutie mark is an ornate spoon, presumably silver as implied by her name. The specific type of spoon is unknown, but it looks to have the proportions of a teaspoon. Symbolically, a silver spoon is a metaphor for a pampered lifestyle, or someone who was born into wealth.

▶ Silver Spoon is a bully, as seen in, well, almost every episode she's in. "Call of the Cutie" suggests that she enjoys being perceived as better than other ponies, finding the idea of not being "special" to be unthinkable. She also seems to enjoy taunting the CMC just for the fun of it.

A common perception in fandom is that Silver Spoon is simply following Diamond Tiara's lead, but this isn't always the case in episodes: she often makes jibes without being prompted by Diamond.

Another common idea in fandom is that Silver Spoon would be a good pony if not for Diamond's bad influence. There's little in the show to suggest this, but it forms the basis of some of the stories where she is redeemed in some way.

▶ Silver Spoon's attire suggests wealth or elevated social status. She wears a bead necklace reminiscent of pearls, and glasses, both of which appear to be made of silver. She is never seen without her glasses, which suggests that her natural eyesight may be poor. Her mane and tail are silvery-gray with a light gray streak. She has a single ponytail plait in her mane, tied at the end with a pink scrunchy. (In her first appearance, she can be seen with two plaits; this is likely an animation error or an early style oddity).

Silver Spoon in "Call of the Cutie", with two mane plaits.

▶ In her first appearance in "Call of the Cutie", Silver's speech contains typical valley-girl mannerisms ("like", "totally", "puh-lease", and so forth), a common stereotype for girl bullies in American culture. Scootaloo mocks her mode of speech during that episode. This speech characteristic is absent in Silver's later appearances. Although her lines are few and far between, when she does speak, her tone tends to be eloquent and haughty.

▶ Nothing about Silver's family or wealth is known, but it is easy to infer from her jewellery, stylish glasses, and designer dress (seen in "Call of the Cutie") that she comes from a rich family, and this is how she's most commonly shown in fanon. In addition, Spoiled Rich evidently approves of her, implying that she is of a higher social class than her classmates. She's usually assumed to have the same level of wealth as Diamond Tiara, if not more.

▶ In "Family Appreciation Day", she's the first pony to applaud Granny Smith's story, and appears to genuinely have enjoyed it, even though this technically sides her with Apple Bloom and against Diamond Tiara. This is sometimes cited as evidence for Silver Spoon being more than just Diamond Tiara's lackey.

Silver Spoon applauding Granny Smith in "Family Appreciation Day".

▶ In general, Silver doesn't seem to hold back when something genuinely pleases her, resulting in some adorable displays of delight; particularly, her bouts of jovial pronking in "Twilight Time".

▶ Silver Spoon drinks a chocolate milkshake in "One Bad Apple", and another in "Pinkie Pride". This is probably a coincidence, but one could infer from this that chocolate is her preferred flavor, or that chocolate milkshakes are her favored treat.

▶ Season 4 shows the first hints that Silver Spoon's relationship with Diamond Tiara isn't as reciprocal as implied in earlier seasons. In "Pinkie Pride", Diamond steals Silver's milkshake without any consideration for her friend's feelings, an act that clearly disgruntles Silver. Later that season in "Twilight Time", Diamond doesn't appear to be giving her much acknowledgement at all.

▶ Silver Spoon breaks off her friendship with Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark", when Diamond's attitude toward her becomes especially callous. Silver's line "I don't have to follow her drum any more" implies that Diamond has been bossing her about for some time. After Diamond's epiphany, the two appear to reconcile their differences at the end of the episode. They appear together in the final moments of season 5.

Silver Spoon publically renouncing her friendship with Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark".

▶ Silver Spoon can be seen making a pie in the season 6 episode "On Your Marks", seemingly with ease. This is, arguably, the closest hint that the show has given at a special talent for her, and would imply that her cutie mark represents a skill in baking or cookery.

Silver Spoon mixing ingredients (with a spoon!) in "On Your Marks".

▶ Silver Spoon has a human counterpart in the Equestria Girls universe. Although she has appeared in all three Equestria Girls movies so far, she has had no spoken lines, and only makes background appearances. She appears to be best friends with Diamond Tiara's human counterpart. She also appears in the Rainbow Rocks short, Music to my Ears.

Human Silver Spoon in Equestria Girls.

5397764 One thing I think you missed is, Silver Spoon dropped the valley girl speaking in "Crusaders of The Lost Mark", this may imply that her valley girl behavior is just an act. It's also worth mentioning that in both "Twilight Time" and "Crusaders of The Lost Mark" Silver Spoon is shown to get very excited if something really delights her.

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

One thing I think you missed is, Silver Spoon dropped the valley girl speaking in "Crusaders of The Lost Mark", this may imply that her valley girl behavior is just an act.

Did she drop it just in that episode, or at some point before then? I can't actually recall her talking valley-ish after "Call of the Cutie", but then I'm terrible with accents and speech. :scootangel:

5397797 Well, maybe she stopped doing it as early as Season 2, it's just that in "Crusaders Of The Lost Mark" it became especially noticeable.

I think both of them dropped the valley girl lingo around season two, actually. It pops up every now and then in Diamond's dialogue but not nearly as often as it used to and when it does it's less valley girl and more normal slang.

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

It's also worth mentioning that in both "Twilight Time" and "Crusaders of The Lost Mark" Silver Spoon is shown to get very excited if something really delights her.

Now mentioned. :scootangel:

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

She also gets excited if somepony steals her milkshake!

--Sweetie Belle

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

I thought that made her
:trixieshiftleft:
:trixieshiftright:
peeved

I still an't believe all these characters are developing so fast. It seems like only yesterday the CMCs were the blank flanks now they are friends with Silver and DT. It's nice to see Silver accepted the change in the backgrounds of the most recent episodes. :scootangel: I can't wait till we get to see Silver in the show again.

In "Family Appreciation Day", she's the first pony to applaud Granny Smith's story, and appears to genuinely have enjoyed it, in direct opposition to Diamond's feelings. This is sometimes cited as evidence for Silver Spoon being more than just Diamond Tiara's lackey.

Not in direct opposition, as far as we know. DT's face is one of surprise, indicating she too was impressed by Granny Smith's story. It is only once AB tries to get some payback that DT goes off on Granny. Doesn't weaken Sil's reaction, of course, as it wasn't like she checked with DT before clapping. She liked what she heard, and that's all that mattered.

Anyway, might want to go with "without consideration of Diamond's feelings on the matter" or something along those lines instead :pinkiecrazy:

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's kind of implied that both of them had already assumed that Granny Smith's presentation was going to be stupid, so Silvy's reaction is definitely a turnaround - but that doesn't mean she was specifically going against Diamond. I shall reword :twistnerd:

Like many a fan of the Terrible Twosome, I'm still hoping we get an episode that really focuses on the two of them, or barring that, a CMC episode that gives Spoon as much focus as DT got in PC and CotLM. I want to know more about Spoon's life, and I want to see more of DT and Spoon's friendship. Would love an episode with Scootaloo or AB having a sleepover at Spoon's, or something.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12